Took about 40 tries to login with Google

Just kept refreshing to sign in page over and over

Tagged:

Comments

• What was the error message you received?

• zaba2zaba2 ✭✭

Not the OP, but I had to completely disable my adblocker to get past the login. No error message provided. It just gave the pop-up for verification via Google or Facebook and then silently errored out back to the original page. Clicking on the link again to sign-in wouldn't even send the pop-up. Where I was having the issue was with Ghostery in Firefox 66.0.3 64-bit on Linux Mint. Pausing Ghostery didn't make a difference. Disabling Ghostery made it work. I was also able to log in via Chromium 65.0.3325.181 which I do not have Ghostery installed as an add-on.

If it were me, I would look into how various ad-blockers work with your sign-in process. If you are not seeing any issues, maybe turn on a more verbose error message so we can actually tell you what the error message is.

(disclaimer: yes, I support end-users on a daily basis. no, I am not the best, but I am competent. I have also been using computers since the Vic 20 [and Coleco Adam if anyone even remembers that] and been tearing apart/reassambling since... oh, wow, I am old.)

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

@NianticScot , I have issues logging in on my mobile browser. I still can't. What info would you like? I took a screenshot of the error message if needed.

• I was having a similar issue, when I used Firefox. The "Sign In with Google" button opened a dialog like normal, but when I selected my account the dialog box disappeared and I was left with the sign-in page where both buttons were grayed-out and non-responsive.

The solution for me was that I use Privacy Badger, and it was blocking cookies from accounts.google.com. After whitelisting that domain, sign-in works normal for me.

• I had a similar issue as @zaba2. I use Privacy Badger and it flagged the oauth system as a tracker. Needed to enable cookies for it and all of a sudden it worked.

• sanshinesanshine ✭✭✭

I'm on Android - fortunately I had no problems logging in.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

I'm still having issues logging in on my mobile device. No idea what I can do.

• TerranceTerrance ✭✭✭

For any Firefox users, the built-in content blocking (about:preferences#privacy) will also likely prevent the login page from working if tracking protection is enabled.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of things I've encountered:

#1: When I followed a link from the Facebook app I couldn't log in because I was in the FB "browser". I had to go to Chrome.

#2: On my desktop browser I have third-party cookies blocked. I had to specifically allow them in order to log in.

• PonderPonder ✭✭✭

Is the sign in affected by the same googlemail bug that stops people signing in to Prime?