Coming soon: Matryoshka Event

Comments

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic probably wants to have a metric to see what player engagement is during the event, and decided to make it visible to players just for fun?

• This a great idea for an event, let’s you think beyond what we currently know about fielding. I had the opportunity to link more portals, within fields that I already created, and the double AP is a nice bonus. I would seriously consider making this a future game change, in my opinion, this could help agents stuck under BAF’s to still effectively play their game, without being discouraged. I live in active play area, so that’s not my situation; however I can this change to be positive for all @nianticbrian

• VaskinCallVaskinCall ✭✭✭✭

Reading this, I get the impression that the whole world and all the capitals are under the fields. Does it bother you? Take it down, don't whine. 

Such an innovation will NOT attract enough new agents, but will leave the game a large number of old players, just those who are quite paying and for subscriptions, and medallions, and tickets to anomalies.

Yesterday I wanted to make a link under the field, but I couldn't find the right field, so I bailed. 

Also, something like this causes agents to be lazy. Why hit big fields if they don't get in the way?

This game once attracted a lot of people, why not make it the way it used to be? Why can't we go back to what worked and attracted? I know so many agents who left the game for this very reason.

If this kind of innovation stays, even with zero MU under the margins - I'll probably lose interest too, as will many of my friends. For an easy walkthrough game there's Pokemon GO, there's a third faction and vintrade, why would the ingress turn the same into it? 

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also add some limitations, like halp outgoing links and half the distance link (maybe more).

• My biggest goal this event is to fix a few of my layers

Certain agents love to grief (esp those GO players) and will break up nice fields for no real reason

As to game mechanics

I understand to a point the concern about serious areas getting upset over losing points

But I also understand agents who rage quit because where ever they live is under a perma-field and especially those who have no chance of ever breaking said field (eg an anchor out on an island which not only covers an entire city, but extends into the next country even; I am totally going under that enemy field as well)

My point is those agents who actively play in the area really do not need to worry about losing their scores. Those agents who put up a BAF 5 years ago and have never set foot in local group since are going to lose their area scores and I won't shed a tear.

• Now I have simulacrum badge in 3 and near to be level 8 again thanks to this special event. I believe this event is for help small players below big fields.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Some fields are massive, and the people under them don't have the means to travel the distance to take them down. It's not a matter of whining, it's a matter of new players joining the game and seeing game mechanics that they can't "do" because of perma-fields that never go down. It's a matter of people who will fight to rethrow the perma-fields as soon as they go down. It's a matter of Ingress bitter-vets unable to let go of something for a few days to let others try things out.

• >This game once attracted a lot of people, why not make it the way it used to be? Why can't we go back to what worked and attracted? I know so many agents who left the game for this very reason.< Sadly that has to do with the fact that Ingress used to be the only gps location based game, and now it's not.

There's one thing that would really help to get a lot more people onboard, and that's advertising. Pokemon Go advertises all over the place, inside other games, on google news, and every where you look. Ingress doesn't advertise at all. @NianticBrian can you please start advertising ingress the way that pokemon go is being advertised? we'll even chip in on the costs!

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's more of The Pokemon Company also adding money to advertising.

Ingress did have advertisements through social media when Prime launched in 2018. I don't really know how they could advertise at this time. There's also a lot of streamers when it comes to Go - maybe the community should look at interesting ways to stream the game? Streaming an ops would be interesting without delivering a lot of details at the same time, for example. We had these ways present for the original scanner such as Ingress Obsessed.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Pogo has so many famous youtube streamers by now everyone knows of them and the game, even someones grandma plays pogo.. but yes u hardly see ads for ingress prime anywhere which is shame...

• We used to have 'famous Ingressers' within the community at least, because of the Ingress Report, and it was a great tool to show prospective players what the "big fun teamwork" was like. The Forums 'sitreps' discussion is sadly lacking in content.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

i don’t play under a field, so that portion of the event is irrelevant. That being said, the 2xAP for fielding and linking is huge. I’ve had a stash of apex boosts waiting for the perfect moment and this is it! Apex boost, two battle beacons and a bunch of SBULs made for some serious AP last night. So much so, I did it again today. Over 6 million AP in less than 24 hours!

• I've posted my review of the Matryoshka Event. Hope you all are having as much fun as I am!

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/14713/

• Nice Love this event already.100AP per recharge is pretty good.But lets not make these perks permenent

• sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭

Early results from event. I decided to field for mu. My weekly totally is approximately 180k of that 15k was from under field linking. I won't be able to squeeze in too much more underneath based on time I can actually play and current layout of fields and links. I still really like the under linking.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I want that blue player as an opponent, rather than pushing him out.

In the context of the MU game, I don't think you're describing an opponent; you're describing cannon fodder for AP. An opponent has to have the ability and willingness to do things of consequence. In the MU game, that means being able and willing to create (and destroy) links and fields that "matter."

As long as this Agent is not impacting the MU game, they're actually a good example of how there's no need for a complex "link suppression" mechanic.

• SrAgentSmithSrAgentSmith ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Thanks; these are good examples. Some folks only know about SLC, which can skew perceptions.

I tidied up some microfields over the weekend with internal links, and it seemed fine, if a bit like playing in beginner mode. So I have mixed feelings about matryoshka. It certainly makes fielding more accessible, but at the cost of some complexity that enriched the game and encouraged community.

But I'm also wary of "kids these days" syndrome. It's easy to fall into when we remember walking 10 miles to school, uphill both ways.

• I wrote a post a while ago that brought up the "broken" nature of the game. A great game is one where one player or side can't run up the score. Think of Monopoly or Risk. How many times are the games over and you're just going through the motions? There is no point in finishing because there's no hope of winning?

You have so many areas where one side wins every cycle. By millions of MUs. A new player downloading the game can't hope to make a difference without months of monotonous play, and literally hundreds, if not a few thousand, dollars of equipment. And all the while, they'll usually be harassed, griefed, bullied, and threatened while they do it.

This game has poor balance. The sad part is, it could be relatively easy to fix by tweaking how the scores are calculated. It could be done with math changes, not gameplay changes.

And the game, unfortunately, often attracts insecure bullies who find in the game a way that they can be good at something. Here in our area, a local group maintains a website where they track their Ingress score going back years. They have often complained that Ingress should do a better job of showing scores over time because nobody realizes just how amazing they are.

• edited April 2021

You know there's a complete resolution to the prisoner's dilemma right? Don't play. It's not a prisoner's dilemma because you can walk away at any time.

Ingress has a weekly 'end' in the Regional Scoring. If you choose not to play that game, then it's like you want to play chess but just move the pieces around without actually playing.

If you don't participate in the competition, of course you're not going to see it as a competition.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Yes, many people pick don't play. If this continues, we all won't get to play. EXACTLY my point. I don't want that.

Just because one side stopped playing in an area doesn't mean the cycles stop too. In the case of ENL versus RES, it's is indeed a continuous iterated prisoner's dilemma. Iterated reptetition of cycles focused on MU among two entities. By definition, that's what this game is. The factions still exist if zero players are playing for them in that particular area and the scoreboards don't disappear.

Post edited by KonnTower on
  • WooormsWooorms ✭✭✭

I know a bunch of regular players (including myself) who open the game daily, enjoy fielding, making AP, taking strategic portals, destroy enemy field, etc without looking at the score. I don't care about a list made for showing off, I'm not interesting in comparing numbers who don't mean much to me, only interesting in being able to actually play. Who cares if your faction is behind on a score board, who cares if some agent you never meet in your life is on top of this list because they are spending their day in a car just to get a bigger number ? I don't play the score board, I don't play the MU race. But I'm linking, fielding and enjoying it, can I say I play Ingress ?

• In other words, you don't actually play the game, you just make the moves that woukd let you play the game. Its like you're sitting at a chess board, but all you want to do is move the pieces around, you're not interested in actually checkmating the other guy. In fact, you're not even interested in having to be strategic at all. That isn't playing the actual game, that's just playing with the pieces.

• I find this event and new ideas entertaining for an event. So if i forgot and cover some unlinked portals inside i could easily link it inside an existing field. But of course this is really against the core of playing ingress and would not be used permanently. But for an event its really refreshing 👍🏻👍🏾👍🏼