Portal submission error

I tried submitting a remote portal and got a generic error message saying nomination failed, try again.

The portal is 22 miles away, driving distance. I'm guessing thats too far?

I was able to submit one that is 11 miles away, so I think the issue is distance?

I'm remote submitting because when I see a good candidate, but dont have submission quota, I take 2 pictures, wait for quota, and then submit later.

The pictures have gps coordinates, so I can use that to confirm the location.

If the issue is distance, could you (Niantic) change the error message to say the portal is too far away?

Or limit the range on the map that you can select, to be consistent with the range limit.

It would also be handy if you used the pictures' coordinate instead of asking.

scanner version: 2.69.1 on Android 10

Comments

• The only range I recall mentioned was 25km for remote submission, almost 2 years back, from this post: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/1794/changes-to-portal-nominations

Additionally, we’ve increased the range for Portal Nominations to 25km.

So 22 miles (35 km) is definitely too far. Agree with bad error message.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

Bug 1

If you select on the map something that is very far, it snaps back to about 30 miles / 50 km. It should limit selection to 30 km, which I think is the true limit.

Bug 2

The error message says 'Nomination Failed. Try again'. It should say 'Portal is too far to submit. Try again when you are closer.'

I successfully submitted this portal in the wrong location, 20.4 miles driving distance away. Sorry about the bad submission. It was for science.