What do you hope for future drone development?

LightseagreenLightseagreen ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in General

whether in the future we need some of these things?

• Cooldown time is shortened at least every 30 minutes
  • Drone Medal (UniquePortal Drone Visited & FusthestDrone Distance). ExcludingForce Drone Recall 😂
  • Drone can move indefinitely as far as the screen is shown on the scanner
  • Drone can move via links between portals
  • Drone can generate portal keys from Hack / Glyph
Post edited by Lightseagreen on
Tagged:

Comments

• AtunatunakAtunatunak ✭✭✭✭

I really hope that they don't add the option to have items (including keys) gathered/delivered by drone*, but I'd like to see medals (even for forced recall, yes, let's see if someone wants a "fail" medal), a shorter cooldown, automatic deploy or the possibility of using links to travel so we can avoid gaps with no portals.

*Unless they come up with a new mod only obtainable through drones.

• LightseagreenLightseagreen ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, the last option does not seem good to implement 😅

thank you, your previous post was very helpful.

Oh ya, If only we were given a medal force drone recall, it would disturb our Fusthest Drone Distance calculations a little.

yeah, that's a good idea, I also missed a mission at a museum that paid to enter

Yeah, the last option does not seem good to implement

much less destroying portals with drones

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Your suggestion falls dangerously close to my suggestion of a new guardian!

Note that drones did not exist at the time, the post is nearly 2 years old.

EDIT: just reading again the whole post and all the comments and... well... time proved me wrong about agressive spoofing. Perhaps we are not ready just yet for this to become a real thing.

• edited March 2021

A Drone MK II with consumable mods would give so much flexibility to drone playstyles:

- an "attack" drone mod that can carry a payload of up to 5 bursters/ultrastrikes, and is automatically recalled once the payload is dropped. An inventory of 5 prevents the drone from being anywhere near as capable as a human player, but still strong enough to peel a mod or two off

- a "support" drone mod that can be equipped with a portal mod. The portal mod's effect is applied to whatever portal the drone is on, with diminishing returns to prevent one faction camping their drones on a single portal

- a "recon" drone mod that allows the drone to hop multiple times between cooldowns

The mods would be Very Rare, only allowing them to be used in rare and specific circumstances.

Post edited by BERN1ESANDERS on
  • GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember someone suggested to be able to consume HeatSinks to reduce the Drone cooldown, that would be nice aswell.

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

Expanding on the "Drones Recalled" medal idea: it could be great to have a mode/mod/something to be able to see other drones from drone view or be able to see (even if it's just hints/trails of) other drones when you're boots in the field. Badge ticks would be the number of enemy drones you've force recalled. This could be balanced by allowing drones to travel farther, faster, so they could get back into "position" easier.

• KeysawKeysaw ✭✭
    edited April 2021

I think the one hour cooldown is fine. When we have a shorter time for events, I feel like I am playing way too much.

Some sort of badges would be nice.

Definitely need to be able to go to any portal you can see in the scanner, and you should always be able to see the closest 3 portals no matter how far away they are.

A Drone Mark II should be able to follow links instead of sighted portals. Maybe even toggle the drone once a day between Mark I and Mark II.

The ability to hack a SINGLE key would be nice for unique visits only. Once you hack a key from a portal via a drone, you can never hack another key to that portal from a drone. Nice for keeping a record of unique visits.

One other thing that needs to be fixed though - you should NEVER get speed lock on a drone hack. Distance is not a factor.

Post edited by Keysaw on
  • Drone reset: Set the currently drone-visited portal as starting point for counting the distance.

At the moment, if I want to make a long-distance drone trip, I need to get into the car and drive to the end-point of the trip to recall and release the drone. With the proposed feature, I could fly the drone to the end point and reset it to count the distance from that point.

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

Not as much a drone thing, but a waypoint in Missions to hack via a drone. Maybe with a limit of 1 per mission.

• I would like to be able to launch the drone from any key in my inventory, but last time I proposed the idea, it got a ton of Disagrees. Can someone please explain why it is such a bad idea?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Will it consume the key to do so? I feel like that would be a fair balance.

• ifonzifonz ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
  • milofargmilofarg ✭✭✭

I think it's a good suggestion; in fact, I would argue that it should be possible to deploy a Drone Mark Something from the Intel map to any portal in the world. Why?

1. It would make it possible for anyone regardless of location to compete for longest drone journey and unique drone hacks stats. Then it would be fair to introduce stat based medals on the profile.
    2. It would be possible to introduce new unique stats/medals based on for example number of unique cells visited.
    3. Facilitating world wide portal hunts competitions. Some of the Tessellation challenges in 2019-2020 involved portal hunts through puzzles. Future portal hunts could be resolved by placing the drone from the Intel map on the target portal.
  • I would like to see drone hacks count for missions. We had a mission day land on a holiday and a ton of people ended up missing it because they had to leave town to be with family. If drone hacks counted, that would enable participation. Secondarily, it doesn't seem too complicated to enable multiple drones, notably one which would auto-appear at the "check-in" portal of the nearest MD location for the duration of an MD event. Adding a reduced cooldown during MD in order to make completion viable. 23 possible hacks during the day at 1h cooldown only enables 3 missions to be completed. Cutting it to 30 minutes during mission day would at least enable the minimum 6 missions for the badge tick, and you can complete the extras otherwise. This all brings up the idea of having temporary drones as a "hackable" output, much like the new rare kinetic capsules. Hackable drone would have independent cooldown and perhaps a special ability with a limited number of applications.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

No. You gotta move IRL to play this game. It should stay this way.

• Turning drones into the "Normal Play" is not complicated, or a hard coding exercise, or even that far off what we already have.

It's just not good gameplay for a game designed to get you out in the world.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

@b4n4n4p4nd4 , it would be unfair for agents who got their mission day and spec ops badges by physically hacking portals and completing missions. Besides, you wouldn't want to see multiple drones sent back to their respective agents after a portal has been neutralized or captured by another agent.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

I could see a drone working for missions with a "short range" drone that only functions when close by, and it also doesnt give hack output. The drone would return upon a successful hack.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

drones are fine how they are now, but i can see how a drone could be used to missions on those places where u cant reach normal.