Perfect level 8 glyph hacks don't give AP when timer is in the red

*Description of the issue:*

I don't know if this is related to the current event (January 2021, including double glyph hack points) or a new version, but i noticed that if I get all 5 glyphs on an enemy portal when the timer is in the red (so that "bonus" is 0%), the game only shows 100 AP awarded (the amount for an enemy hack). My stats show correctly show that the hack awarded 15 glyph hack points, and I'm unsure if my total AP went up by 100 or by the expected amount of AP.

*Device, OS, app version:*

Pixel 4a, Android 11, version 2.63.2-dcad5640

Tagged:
11 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• Some more experimenting: it happens whenever the timer bonus is 0%, not just "in the red." I got the full 800ish AP when "in the red" with an 8% bonus when there was 1.5 secs left, but I only got 100 AP when there was 0.5 seconds left.

• Update: Event is over, and it's still there.

If I fail a hack (4 correct), I get 300 AP (on enemy portal). If I get all 5 correct with less than one second, I get 100 AP.

If it matters, it's a drone hack.

• Can confirm this bug (iPhone se, iOS 14.3, Ingress 2.63). Happens on drone or in-person hacks that complete with under one second left on timer. Happened before, during and after the recent event.

For what it’s worth, this bug was also present at Prime’s launch, although at that point, the window for 0AP glyph hacks was much larger - triggering under around 18% time remaining instead of 1 second. That bug was eventually fixed after several months, but now appears to be back in some form.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I am Glyph hacking a level 8 enemy portal by Drone.

If I get all 5 glyphs right, but have under 1 second remaining, then Ingress shows 100 AP for the hack.

If I get 4 glyphs right, I get over 100AP for the hack.

This behaviour is unexpected as this means it's better to not enter the last glyph correctly if there isn't enough time in order to get more AP.

Thanks

• Description:

When the user hacks a portal with glyph mini-game and it is finished with less than a second left, the time bonus is calculated as 0% and the user is not rewarded with additional AP for correct hacking nor extra equipment, even if the user enters all glyphs correctly and gets maximum bonus for them.

While it is clearly understandable that time bonus is not linear, it is not clear why having less than 1 second left for a hacking gives the user no rewards.

Build version:

Android:

2.66.2-65dbe5ed

iOS:

Please ask the user mentioned in additional notes.

Reproduction steps:

1. Launch the game
    2. Interact with any Portal personally or via Drone
    3. Start glyph hacking
    4. Enter all glyphs correctly and at the end of the last glyph hold a finger on the last vertex on a glyph table until the timer shows less than 1 second left
    5. Check bonuses counted on a result screen
    6. Check final rewards for hacking

Results:

Observed:

The player is rewarded as if they hacked a portal by tapping a Hack button, not playing a glyph mini-game.

Expected:

The player is rewarded correctly for completing a glyph mini-game, according to the results.

Devices:

Android:

Nokia 5 Dual SIM:

• Model: TA-1053
    • RAM: 2GB
    • CPU: Quallcomm Snapdragon 430 (4x 1401MHz, 4x 1094MHz)
    • GPU: Quallcomm Adreno 505
    • Display: IPS ****, 720x1280, 5.2"

iOS:

iPhone (please ask the user mentioned in additional notes).

Attachments

Because of the fact I'm here for too short, I can't mention any links here. Also, there's no way to upload a video. So I hope I won't be banned for putting spaces between some characters in the link and in some way leaving a link here:

h t t p s : / / y o u t u . b e / 5lIdSqqiwwc

Additional notes:

The issue was also observed by @tgbarnett. He plays an iPhone and he has reported this issue here, on community, previously but as I was informed - it vanished somehow.

If there's anything more needed - just ask. We'll do our bests to provide more information.

• Ok, so I'm sorry for duplicating the issue. I've been looking under more specific keywords than it was already described, because I'm cursed with long QA experience. 😅

And also thanks for moving my ticket in comment here. I'll do my bests if possible to provide or check anything that'll be needed.

• yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

Any movement on fixing this bug? It's still present, and it's pretty frustrating to not receive AP for correctly completing glyph sequences near the end of the timer.

• SirKingIkeSirKingIke ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

The issue is also still present for me. I think the report was from january - maybe the bug reappeared?

Post edited by SirKingIke on
  • yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

The bug has been present the entire time, from the initial report in January through today. Status has read "Investigating" since February.

• yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

This bug is still present one year on from when it was tagged as "investigating." Not sure what else to do to get some kind of movement on a fix.

• It's been present since 2.6.1 in Closed Beta in one form or another. Previously you didn't see the 100AP because it was all merged.

Public Issue Post from 2018