Improve keys sorting and filtering

I think that doing something with keys is just too painful and it needs some interface improvements.

I present my list, but it's open to discussion...

Sorting:

- azimuth (direction, angle),

- portal level,

- number of keys owned,

- resonators state,

- last interaction (if data like this is accessible) - to find some useless keys...

Filtering:

- portal level,

- faction (+ only owned by me),

- (not )covered by fields,

- upgradable (missing mods or resonators, upgradable resonators),

- including capsuled,

- mods,

- some kind of tagging (i.e. to identify by city/area, portals to be charged, planned onion or field art, attractive locations to farm, souvenir keys...)

Other:

- show linked portals,

- fields covering the portal,

- show the nearest blocking link,

- see the portal on a map,

- MU supported by the portal,

- find "nearby" portals in different directions (i.e. at least 3 portals with lowest sum of distances, but forming a triangle which contain the portal)...

Comments

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of those seem interesting and useful, but a lot of them seem like they would be expensive on the server side and not actually provide much value.

When I want to tag keys I just stuff them in a capsule and label the capsule accordingly.

• I was going to break down all the types of data and why they aren't possible, but it all comes down to the same thing.

Possible:

• azimuth (direction, angle) - However, this would have to be either manually relative, or fixed when you opened the list.
    • Number of keys owned

Not possible without far more data loading:

• Everything else.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

if i could recharge from within a capsule... ill do all the sorting myself

or offer up a recharge capsule VR item... for purchase. or make recharging from key capsules a CORE perk

MY SCANNER IS READY

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish i could search for a portal key.

• Not exacly. We do most of these things anyway, but manually or using Intel Map, and you have seen how it works ;)

When we scroll keys, the scanner must load a lot of useless data about each of them. If it was sorted or filtered, it could actually reduce server traffic.

Tagging keys with capsules makes more problems than it solves - 100 keys limit, difficult access when it's needed, easy to lose key, i.e. when you think you have one more key in capsule, but you put it out to recharge and forget to hide it again, sometimes you find out that you have over 20 keys to one portal and more than 1500 of them in your inventory... I've stopped to do it, because my keys were out of control :)

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're tagging them because you want to use them (esp. for recharging) then that's a bit difficult because while they're in the capsule they can't be used, and when you dump them out of the capsule they're no longer tagged and you have to find them amongst your other 200 keys.

• That's just the thing: much of this data is only loaded when the agent scrolls down to each key. Sorting or filtering would require loading all of the necessary data for every key beforehand. If you have 400 keys, then the server needs to load the relevant data for all 400 before it can sort or filter, every time you open your key list.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what sorting option I want? I'd like to be able to sort the keys A-Z by name. It's not too much to ask, surely?

• LdeBLdeB ✭✭

Logged in just to support this: really, how in heaven's name is this still not implemented properly? The mind boggles...

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zenn YES! I've been begging for the ability to recharge capsules in keys for years.

In my dream world I would be able to go to a capsule of keys and just dump a bunch of power cubes into it. "Here are 20 PC8s. Please recharge the keys in this cube starting at the beginning until I've either un out of keys or exhausted the cubes I specified." Recharging individual keys is boring and repetitive, and doesn't really add fun to the game. It's just toil. But capsuling all of your keys, unloading another capsule, recharging the unloaded keys, re-capsuling them, and then unloading the original set of keys is much more toil.

• FeThornFeThorn ✭✭✭

More sorting options would be a major help. Personally I'd want to see favorites first, then alphabetical order, and finally reverse sorting options. So like, instead of showing the closest key first, show the farthest one first.

Anything beyond that which doesn't slow the game down too much would be cool too, but we need favorites first in any case.

• What about sorting by postal/zip code?

• That would be possible in countries that have that through address translation, but an alternate to that would be sorting by Scoring Region. Might be too large of an area though.

• Region would be too large indeed. Maybe use some smaller cell types?

But postal codes should be looked at.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to mark my favorites and be allowed to select to show (and receive alerts) only them. Maybe thats even easier to do.

Out my almost 500 keys, I only care to receive alerts of about 15 and to recharge somewhat about 35. But can't just keep all the rest on inside capsules since I use them on everyday gameplay.

Maybe being allowed to recharge from inside a capsule would also be just as useful.

• IMO favorites should be a relatively easy thing to implement as it's essentially adding a flag property. There could be extensions as tags, but that's again 'more complexity'. Just a "These are my favorites" with a ♥ in the UI should be easy enough to do.

I don't know how complex favorites for notifications would be, but there are third party tools to filter notifications, which could work for Ingress notifications. (Think IFTT etc).

• It might, but scoring region is an L6 S2 cell. The S2 location of a portal is only a 64-bit integer (that is: it's cheap to store and Niantic already have it), and you could easily provide client-side sorting by any S2 level, grouping keys together differently at each level. One neat property of the Hilbert curve is that if you sort portals by their high-level S2 cell IDs, they come out grouped such that portals near each other in space are generally all grouped together in the sort order.

It's not perfect - if you were wanting a sorting of in a city that would group according to the block they're on, you might find that the partition in S2 cells didn't run down the street but diagonally across the block. But if, say, your recharge grind involved recharging a bunch of portals each of which were in a different state park or on islands, you'd generally find each mountain and each island sorted together in a deterministic order.

Translating to the feature request: sort by L30 S2 cell ID. Call it "Sort by Location" or something. Maybe add slider to turn the L30 into something coarser. Call it, I dunno, "XM Pretext Level" or whatever.

• Yeah, all possible. No matter what division you use, there will always be a key "outside the area" that you wish were in. But geographic coordinate sorting is definitely one of the things you could sort by, because it's static and doesn't require current game state.