Remote Submissions do not give you a 25km range as advertised!

Niantic please don't implement a feature until you have it ready to go. I can't submit a portal 8 miles away even when im still in range of the supposed 25km.

Tagged:

Comments

• I will contest that I am experiencing similar things..

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I suspect the range is not actually 25km but within the same L9 s2 cell. s2 cells vary in edge length and geometry depending on your location on the sphere (I.e. planet). You have may have cell edges closer than 13km (8 miles).

Just like the previous limit of 2.5km was variously reported as between 2km and 2.8km from different parts of the world which corresponds to a L12 s2 cell.

This is not a bug, it's just the way s2 geometry works. All Niantic games use the same geometry.

• This is false. I tried moving in the same S9 cell, got about 2.44km and it won't let me go any further. I tried going in the opposite direction which is outside of the S9 cell, and got about 2.04km.

• BlasseBlasse ✭✭✭

@SoylentGrien Ingress wasn't based on s2 cells. Even "too close to another portal" is based on 20m dia, not any s2 cell. Don't mix it with POGO.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Ingress is absolutely based on s2 geometry. Have you looked at the scoring cells?

• Are we sure 25km thing is live...?

• It's not. @SouLPrison3r

• @NIA_casey - we are not seeing 25km distance. Can you please make sure they enable this as it's not working.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Definitely not working as advertised. Please @NIA_casey fix this.

• yep not working here either marker bounces back to about 1km away from current location.

• @NianticCasey - can you look into this?

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

@talormanda So tagging a Niantic employee is cool but you should do it only once. Its probably better if you send in a support ticket. I wouldn't want to imagine being constantly tagged even on the weekend when folks aren't probably at the office on their official accounts so it might be better to send a proper support ticket. Just my two cents as a regular player.

• @msz21 I re-tagged because they changed their usernames for all NIA staff on here.

• It looks like 25km is now working.