Likes for pictures of portals

Hello community!

I was just wondering what the effect of the "likes" represent? Does it do something in particular or is it just a simple like?

Could somebody explain to me?

Kind regards!

Comments

• Thanks!

• It would reflect in the next check point

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

Others have answered.

Just adding, this is not the correct subgroup for such questions.

• Here it is just a numbers game. The people with the most multi accounts generally have the most likes. 😏

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@Juho94 and this feature is wrong and leads to many problems. Most pictures and likes dont reflect the portal being a good place for gyms and Raids. This gymvote funcion should be inside Pokémon, not in ingress.

edited June 2019

@tangyduc so ingress is stop being its own game and going down the hill as a mere tool for: making gyms, editing pokestops, creating pokestops, access to opr. Players aren't coming for ingress, but for other games...

• Ingress has the like feature for photos for its own reason. It wasn't added for Pokémon Go.

On the subject of it being a tool though, I think that was Niantics purpose? Pretty sure they keep the games tied to each other to keep people playing both. It is primarily a business afterall.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

The ingress use of the 'like' is more if a portal has multiple picture, than the picture with the most likes becomes the display pic.

Yes it also affects pogo with the portal with the most number of likes becoming the gym once the required number of portals in a cell is met. Of course the method for selecting a gym is going to be in ingress since the power to create one is.

Enough people either play both or have a friend who plays the other etc etc so it's grown increasingly common for the agent submitting a new stop to put a 'like' on the one in a decent spot so the control box at the lights doesn't become the gym. Just good form.

• mcwebtreemcwebtree ✭✭✭

Can you like people now? I thought it was only portals and photos we were talking about 😃.

But either way your kinda stating the obvious, multi accounters probably also have the most keys, the most bursters, the most shields and most obviously the most accounts...

In case you can't tell, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

AFAIK Likes on portals are just to change the photo on in and to choose which to use as a gym on Pokémon go.

• MicksterMickster ✭✭✭

Juho94 - Do you have a reference for that? ( about the most liked portals becoming a gym) ?

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I don't have a reference, but there are discussions on Reddit about how to trigger gyms.

From my own experience I can confirm that the portal for which the photo has the most likes will become a gym. I have also seen reports that the number of photos on the portal will also affect the gym choice, but I have no experience of that with gym creation

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

I can confirm that within a cell, the sum of likes on a portal is what selects that stops as gym when enough stops are activated. This proves to be important, because when gyms are removed, another will pop up wherever the second-most likes are.

• The picture with the most “thumbs up” or “likes” becomes the main photo for that portal. It has to be a picture that you took personally, it should not be heavily modified (no filters), and it should focus on the POI. The “likes” also influence which portal / pokéstop gets to be a gym when certain conditions occur.

• MicksterMickster ✭✭✭

So it's not an actual rule, it's just people guessing? How did you confirm this? I've been unable to find any proof of this in the last 24 hours. Hopefully Niantic will confirm or deny this claim.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

Well, it seemed to work on the last dozen or so gyms I was part in creating :) Try it for yourself! I recommend "pogo-tools" plugin for Intel.

It was ok to use the thumbs at the release of pokémon go, but now would be better if gyms where completely random to prevent abuse/exploit.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@Mickster The Silph Road subreddit made the connection several months ago and it has been verified by repeated test cases from independent agents. While there may be other facts in play, it is clear that likes have an impact on which POI becomes a gym. However, when all other factors are equal, the newest POI in the Level 14 S2 cells will become the gym.

• SenmanaSenmana ✭✭✭

Has it been proved that the newest POI becomes a gym if upvotes are the same? I thought it was believed to be random?

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

I was under the impression that it was the oldest portal, but that's from a very small sample, so it could well be random

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

"Upvotes are the same" seems to to be a very rare scenario IMHO. I can only see this in cells where no submitters are acknowledging PoGo, and noe one is happy enough with their/other profile photos and give the photo a like.

if you are about creating gyms, be aware that it only takes +1 like, but you should add a safety margin as some portals can be liked for "ingress reasons" outside your control.

• Thank you so very much for this amazing feedback guys! Appreciated each and every response which I took the time to read..

Cheers for all of you!

• I believe the opposite is true and I don't see anything being abused or exploited. PoGo players use the system to ensure that the best locations for gyms are the ones that become gyms. They can control whether a gym is in a park vs. on a crowded city street, for example. It's actually a great system and allows the folks on the ground who know the most to influence the outcome.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely agree with this statement. As a Pogo Player I use it to ensure a park gets a gym versus a church in the same cells. I always try to put gyms in safely accessible locations at all times. Or spots where the sidewalks wouldnt get too crowded etc.

• S2 cells determine what portals become stops - 1 per s2 cell of size 17. The number of stops within an s2 cell of size 14 (which contains 64 cells of size 17) determines how many of those stops become gyms.

When enough portals are made to force a pokéstop to turn gym, The number of likes on ingress portal photos determines which of those stops become the gym. If you actually have enough players from both games and plan together, you can use this to control where your gyms end up. This is handy for making sure the gyms you get are more safely accessible for gathering. If photos are tied for likes, the game will randomly pick one stop to become the gym.