Set XM color on ground to last septicycle winner in each cell

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in General

Feel like this would require very little development to enable, calculating which cell an agent is currently in and then executing a color draw.

It would be a nice cosmetic reward that doesn't affect gameplay, but rewards agents for competing for cell scores.

Post edited by KonnTower on

Comments

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

I dig this! Like you said, should be easy to implement (but I'm no dev) and could give a slight incentive to reinvigorate day to day competition. 👍️

• Personally I'd prefer it to go back to the purple-white that it's been outside of special events. This "not-white" doesn't remind me of Redacted, and the use of colors should be a special event, not constant.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Yup, it really just just be a periodic query of the cell an agent is in, followed by a query of the history that's already available, followed by setting the color which is already in their codebase.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, this could be disheartening.

• d0gboyd0gboy ✭✭✭

I like the idea it's disheartening; people should have an incentive to go out and fix things. Part of the game and part of life is coming up with a plan to overcome adversity, and if your team's leadership is downtrodden by a cosmetic change, it's a sign your team has an opportunity to find new community organizers and leaders!

Note that if there were a mechanical disadvantage for losing the cycle, I would be opposed to that -- you don't need to give winners a game physics advantage. But you know, if losing a lot is going to make you stew in your loss and not inspire you to change things, I feel like that's a personal challenge to overcome.

With that said, blue and green XM are harder to see under fields and in general; I think the "right" color for XM is something contrast-y that shows up reliably under a wide variety of lighting conditions. A decent compromise might be for the XM to change color for the first checkpoint into the new cycle, or even a set of fireworks going off in the color of the winning faction for every 1 in N portals. Or even on the top ten field anchors by MU?

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree. If a cosmetic reward is too disheartening, are these players playing the wrong game? The res have a glyph sequence and badge for the Osiris sequence, this doesn't stop people from playing the game. Do these need to be removed because they're too disheartening? The answer is no, by the way.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

After losing every cycle for a year, you bet it gets disheartening.

Our faction lost for years n years, except the odd BAF fixing things. Now tables turned and I think its about a year or so since the other team won a cycle.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm worried about the visibility of XM more than anything. I'm having a much easier time with current yellowish white than the old purple (though I think I'd prefer the bluish white of Redacted even more). Green or blue XM seems like it would just blend into the background in fielded areas.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

Instead of changing the settings of XM, it would be more interesting few bonuses which don't interfere with gameplay eg. (1-5%+) more AP, MU bonus, glyph bonus (more points, not loot), rather than touching loot, weapons damage / range or resonators energy.

The reason which I'm suggesting that is that cycles have no impact in the game at all, most of players don't know about it and I believe implementing SMALL benefits could incitate more people to invest on it.

Faction based benefits could be better than punish the other faction because that would really damage the gameplay, unless you touch a series of parameters which does not affect gameplay.

Anyways, this is not elaborated idea.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Neku69 In many areas that would create a system where a faction that already has an advantage permanently gets a larger advantage.

I really think it's better that any septicycle bonus only happen in the cycle after there's a new winner.

• Yeah if there's going to be any benefits from winning a cycle, the initial ones should be cosmetic, so that people understand that the cycles are being won/lost.

Just don't put any damn fireworks into it.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

That as well, the bonuses need to be really low, in order not to make an OP difference

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I've been on both sides as well. I lived in a cell where we lost 40 in a row. We were determined to take it back and we did. When I moved out of the cell, our streak was at 70 and now it is over 100. But did we lose some people in the parts of our cell that were regularly fielded by the opposition? No question. Losing is disheartening. New features should not compound that if we want to regrow the player base.

• DestroyerTJDestroyerTJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, that's a great idea. Above they write the truth. Many do not pay attention to cycles, cells, victories, losses, because they do not give anything to the agent, or the faction, or the cell, zero. Conditional victory, ok, people are 5-8 years old in the game, they are no longer inspired by this. Like the plot, they all write in hundreds that it is complex, confused, you need to go to a lot of resources, there is no single simple plot base in the Scanner, and so on. Thank.

• DestroyerTJDestroyerTJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and I remembered how you write with the beginning of the pandemic that you are looking at the possibility of realizing a victory in the cell for who more (the faction) has passed kilometers or banners, for example ...

• edited March 2021

When do we globally go back to normal XM color for Prime? Still looks like yellow snow on my screen 🤔 no matter how many times people claim it's 'white'.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, fix spoofing before giving out MORE rewards.

Thanks ❤️

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I've Said it before, it should be rewards for winners but boosts for losers, so for example winners for a cycle might get double ap or extra items while hacking, but the losing team should get boosted buster/ultra strikes damage and more mu for their fields that they do (not a lot, maybe like a 10% boost but that lessens for each 10x mu, so like up to 100 mu, 10% boost, 1000, 5% boost, 10000+, 1% boost) something g that means some teams get a better chance at winning

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a different measuring system would fit better to this need. There are several suggestions in some other threads.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Always look for unintended consequences.

If factions got a competitive advantage for losing cycles then there would be a race to the bottom for MU. Teammates would start getting mad when you threw big fields or took down your opponents' fields. If I had to choose between getting my name in lights or or it being easier to take down my opponents' dense farm areas my decision would be quite simple.

That wouldn't be universal, of course, but I don't think it's wise to create incentives for deliberately losing cycles.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that is a good idea. Being unable to see green xm under green fields is certainly more like punishment than a reward.

• That seems like .... what the... is wrong with your local team? 😂

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

To b honest, that might became irrelevant. Nobody loses for lack of xmp or items, but lack of will and effort, so boosts for losers isn't a good idea imo.

Maybe a boost on the MU score, just to do a little push, but nothing else.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden Is it any different than the bizarro Ingress period when hacking enemy portals gave significantly higher output than hacking friendly ones? Smart teams did the obvious thing: They built farms and then flipped them so they could get higher hack output.

The cool thing about Ingress is that you essentially get to define your own win conditions. Is keeping your neighborhood built up a win for you? Excellent. Is smashing your opponents' stuff a win for you? Excellent. If your local players don't care about the region score, and many don't, then of course they're going to optimize for the things that benefit them most.