mission authoring slots

phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

Niantic, could you increase the number of missions we are allowed to author?

Currently it is 180.

Many people are mission enthusiasts; They love nothing more in ingress than doing missions.

But only a few devoted agents create the vast majority of high quality missions.

And just when they get good at making missions, they hit their limit. Some stop making missions. But the devote have 2 options

1. unpublish old missions to make space for new ones. or
  2. ask their friends to donate inactive ingress accounts to make missions under their agent name

None of these are good options. I go with (1) and unpublish live missions to make space to submit new ones. And then when someone asks, I republish old ones, but have to unpublish something else. It makes for a lot of bureaucracy of niantic reviewing the same missions over and over, and updating websites/documents with which missions are currently live.

I like to do missions more than make them, but I've done all the missions in my area and can't travel to other counties/states to do them due to the pandemic. Now would be a great time to make missions from home.

We, the people that make missions, would like substantially more mission authoring slots.

Ideally uncapped and if thats too much, make a nomination quota like portal nominations.

If you unlock our potential, it will breath new life into ingress for mission goers.

Comments

• I've made more than 500... its not an issue

The limit is 180 per account. So, no, you haven't.

Some people make more than 1000 on a single account. Most spread it across multiple accounts to work around the 180 live missions limit.

This literally is why they haven't got >180 missions on one account. Because they're spreading it around. By spreading it around, the page isn't bogged down trying to load all the data for 1000 missions.

Except that comments previously have made it clear that they can't keep increasing the limit without a code change.

Once Niantic can hire more Devs, and get some with primary Javascript knowledge, maybe they can rewrite Intel and the Mission Creator to be far more friendly, but until then, I doubt they'll keep expanding it. If they weren't worried, they wouldn't keep giving smaller and smaller increments. 100 -> 50 -> 30.

• I wish there were a place to talk about missions. Because many people dont care about missions. But those that do, are passionate; Its why we play

Put it in this category, because for sure, people who care about missions, read this.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

There is no limit to the number of missions you can make on a single account. You seem to be questioning how many missions I have authored? You can see some of my missions on ingressmosaic

https://ingressmosaic.com/profil/phthoruth/mosaic

Deleted missions: 353

Its interesting I've deleted 353. Thats roughly how many I still have in the mission authoring tool that are not live, but I can republish on request. Which I often do.

When someone requests a banner be made available, I unpublish one, and republish another. I never delete a mission.

Nianitic is pretty quick to review missions that have no changes.

I have roughly 500 missions, and will continue to make more, but only 180 live at any given time.

To publish new ones, mission quota is needed while waiting on review.

At the moment I've got a banner I submitted in July up for review. While I wait, that takes up valuable mission slots too. I had to unpublish live missions to make those slots available to request review of the new banner.

On my side, I have not noticed a performance issue with have 500 missions in the authoring tool.

I'm explicitly not requesting a revamp of the code in this request. Just increase the number live at any given time.

There are no mission day events right now, so thats not a great place to discuss Mission authoring tool.

Its a bit off topic, but if we were talking about mission days or first saturdays, historically there are missions that people author for such events, and I would make missions for them, if I had more quota. But as all events are on hold, its not a concern.

I've started a discussion about creating a mission category. Please provide your insight there

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/13681/mission-category/p1?new=1

Thanks for that feedback... at least we know what Niantic is thinking. But I dont understand the rationale?

If theres a performance issue I dont see how the number of 'live' mission in the mission authoring tool matters?

Only about 30% of my missions are live. They're all in mission authoring tool. I never delete old missions.

I plan to continue making many more missions. I'll unpublish the 180 I have now and make another 180. So thats 360. The first 180 are still there in the authoring tool. Its not ideal for anyone that we have to unpublish/republish

• It would also be helpful if the reason for a mission was rejected was more clear. I've had 17 (of 18) missions for a banner and the 18th rejected. The reasons given were all not applicable. I've also had entire banners rejected and the reasons were also not applicable.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the hard part is getting an "agreed upon" format. We have several Ingress mosaic websites out there, right?

Also, I don't know if @ofer2 is even responsible for anything pertaining to the Missions database. There's the Waypoints from Field Trip as the service has officially shut off at the end of 2019.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I'm thinking more of Niantic just revealing the existing internal format used to store missions, the file format that the Mission builder website currently generates. If we knew the spec (maybe it's an XML format, maybe it has an API?), we could write our own tools to create files in that format that would bypass the builder site. This would need a fair bit of co-operation and testing, but longer-term it would relive Niantic of the burden of maintaining their mission creator site, in the same way FEV Games takes on the burden of organising First Saturdays.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

What would people want to see in an improved mission creator tool?

Id love missions grouped together and seen as one. Stuff like making missions hidden until all are approved, then hitting a switch and it’s a go. Could be nice for something like banners you might only want available for an event as well.

• I have submitted one Mission, and I would love to do a banner or mural of the greater area of my community now that our portals have doubled in the last two to three years thanks to the ever-changing criteria. What I currently have are missions that need severe updating, but the Agents who submitted them have not been active for a significant amount of time. Furthermore, a county-wide mural cannot be completed unless you are employed at our local state hospital, which has banned non-employed gamers from playing on hospital grounds for safety purposes. Rather than making new missions that may seem like a Version 2.0 of the original mission because of inactive Agents, is there a way active Agents can contribute to old Missions as long as the edits can be reviewed before going live, and if an Agent already completed the original mission, could a grandfathered credit option be applied as opposed to redoing said mission?

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be possible to get that hospital portal removed since it probably meets rejection criteria anyway. In that case, that one portal would be removed from the mission.

Another solution I have seen to that sort of issue is for someone to make an alternative version of just the one mission with the inaccessible portal.

• We've been asking for this consistently since the first day this particular online community was founded. sigh. It is frustrating to keep hearing this when this is exactly what we have been doing.

• Mernie9Mernie9 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I'm at 180 as well. The suggestion to work with another agent to create missions isn't as easy as it seems, particularly in this era of COVID. I have had 3 attempts at that. One success and two failures. Regarding the failures ... I have a friend (without a computer) who is willing, but in order to do that we would need to share breathing space and my laptop. I've also tried working with a new agent, now Level 8. He had his own ideas and I tried to work with him. But he gave up with the rejection on his own banner. Again, if I could sit with him, maybe things could be different.

I've heard of someone creating banners on someone else's account. But that involves either sharing or temporarily changing passwords. Not good. Or writing down a lot of instructions on the pathing.

I've done over 1500 missions, and it would be nice to have more local (non-travel, more COVID friendly) banners to do. But I'm running out. The ones I haven't done are undone for a reason (like I refuse to drive and hack in the city, and it's too sketchy to walk it.) Usually the people that are at limit are pretty darn good at creating them.

Mohr banners!

Post edited by Mernie9 on
  • BeVewyVewyQwietBeVewyVewyQwiet ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Missions promote exploration and exercise and were a major reason for my getting into ingress. I'm grateful to the people that have volunteered their time and local expertise to benefit the player base.

It makes no sense to me to restrict limit the creation of new missions to players that lack the experience of making successful ones because of an arbitrarily low number.

Many/most missions can be completed in a socially distant way which has been a sanity saver during the pandemic. For many players I have spoken to, missions have been a highlight of the playing experience while many other aspects of the game have been curtailed since last year.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

How about you just delete old ones to make space?