[Feature Parity] Key lockers should be visually distinct from each other

ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the era of Scanner [REDACTED], some of us had the opportunity to acquire a sixth key locker, which appeared in game as black with red accents. This set it apart visually from the other key lockers, which were red, yellow, green, blue, and white.

Somewhere along the way, Prime seems to have turned "black with red accents" into "red with black accents", which makes it look nearly identical to the red locker:

There's no pressing functional need here for updating the visuals; the information (ID) and tools (naming) to tell these capsules apart already exists and works. It's just that… well, for me, this is one of those many things in Prime where I wish someone would take a few extra moments to Get It Right™, instead of settling for Gets The Job Done™.

Tagged:

Comments

1. They are well distinguishable. We can see the difference at first sight.
    2. That is exactly why we have the opportunity to name the capsules. So I do not have to say to myself: "I have these keys in a red capsule and those in blue one". Honestly, I usually don't notice the colors of the key lockers at all. I probably wouldn't care if they were all the same color.
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They changed the design and now the borders are thinner, that's what happened. That keylocker was always pink/red (color1) with black borders (color2). The design changed but color order/location keeped the same. Or maybe the inverted color isn't visually appealing, since it's black or black background and there is transparency effects from the center.

If you want parity, they should make it more pinkish than reddish, since it was kind of magenta before. Maybe it's already set to pink, but the orange light make it more red.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't the colors already separate? The issue came with the 6th locker given for free on their 5th anniversary.

Though with your example, I am surprised they didn't test to see how black worked as a transparent layer. Maybe it was an issue with different devices? I'm still in the dark about how the client decides what is a high end or mid level device. The appearance between my Pixel 3 and Pixel 4a is different even though the specs are about the same.

• The two sprites are 'independent' but the palette is so similar that only the flashes on the side 'arms' show any real difference with darker arms for the 'black' capsule. If they'd wanted to keep the original color scheme, it should have been primarily black/grey capsule, with pink/red flashes on the arms.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Rename them

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

We're talking about the visual part of the capsules.

Ah, so it's basically based on this screenshot:

The gradients didn't really transition well to Prime. They mitigated CMU's appearance from a nuclear orange-red to an orange glow. In the transition, a lot of what made the capsule "solid" for appearance went poof. I think the same happened with MUFGs and capsules. (Honestly, every asset did.) Maybe a revisit to assets altogether? There should be more of a solid appearance to them because I can only imagine any glass gradient just adds to unnecessary memory usage.

I know improvements have been made since the Prime beta but I think maybe the transparency is unneeded?