Replacing Mission Authors

It would be great if there was an option to replace a Mission Author if certain criteria were met.

Criteria might include: < 6 waypoints; and/or the author hasn't opened their scanner for X months

This would allow current players to repair missions that have problems and in doing so keep banners alive.

Comments

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree there should be some way of transferring mission ownership.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

You will only be able to repair broken missions if those players return to play Ingress

• An alternative is to request mission retirement, and then you can safely replace it.

• It would be nice if there was some way to transfer ownership. I would be concerned about people being able to report and have missions removed though that were perfectly fine. Of course, this comes after having seen years of abuse by people reporting missions for no other reason than not liking the author, or some other arbitrary faction animosity.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Reckon it is much more complicated than that.

Some of the big mission banners are iconic, and replacing them isn't the same.

I am still hoping that the devs will provide the means to put Missions done in any order, instead of relying on the player to do the entire series again, just redo the mission that was broken and later fixed, oand reorder your missions so that the banner is in one piece

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean oficially Mosaics? There's nothing a rate most about mission than that tousand of mission that you don't know what will morf unless you check somebody profile or the ingressmosaik.com. There could be a option to put all parts together in just one icon, with a preview of the whole mosaic complete. Every time I try looking for a specific mission I have trouble fiding it because there is tons of similar named parts, having to scroll to find it...

• Mosaic's aren't supported by Niantic.

However, what I said is correct. You can request mission removal, and make your own with the same icon. Hell you don't even have to request removal, though having two missions might make things confusing.

The concept of being able to 'take away' someone's mission is a dangerous one though.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

How about setting a timer on missions so they expire after some time unless manual refreshment?

• Or even Niantic intervention when it comes to broken missions where the author is no longer playing. Report them like we do invalid portals (but give us the opportunity to explain why we think it's broken) then Niantic can review/fix/remove

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

But how can Niantic tell if agent is no longer playing? Because that exact logic can be applied to backpacks :D

• Backpacks do 'play' though, if you call dropping a capsule occasionally or picking up a capsule occasionally playing. I'm sure Niantic could pick them out with the data they've got, but it's whether or not they have the resources to do so.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

But can they differentiate from a backpack and your relative real player who retired but still help a friend once in a while? There's is dozen of retired agents that so nothing but duplicate keys.

• How can you? Between you and Niantic, Niantic has a far better idea of who is active. And a simple timer would invalidate half the missions in the world which are still completely good.

• Instead of needing the author's input, missions could instead be auto-retired if no one attempts the mission in more than two years (or some other length of time). That will also help clean up the problem of having too many missions clogging up the missions list.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I strongly disagree with the idea of deleting missions based on a timer or inactivity. I like doing single missions as well as mosaics. I like having missions from as many places that I've visited as possible. There's been several times I've gone through a small town in the middle of nowhere that very likely hadn't seen activity in months or years that had a lone mission from an agent who was likely long retired. I value being able to pick up these funky little mission badges. A timer or deletion based on inactivity would likely invalidate many of these types of missions and disproportionately effect rural areas.

I'm also not sure I really agree with the idea of transferring ownership either. If the original owner consents to transferring ownership to another agent, that could work. But I suspect in many cases the original owners might be difficult to reach for communication in order to get their consent. If you take away ownership without consent and that agent later returns, I know I wouldn't be too happy about that if it happened to me.

There should be a way to suggest amendments to missions for a limited set of categories. Some would be:

- All waypoints in a mission no longer exist making the mission no longer operable (in a case like this it might just be better for someone to submit a new mission with the same picture)

- Banners trolled by location edits (we had somebody who didn't like a banner and moved a portal 40 miles away to an inaccurate location out of spite)

- Portals that can't be reached because of construction

- Routing changes if it is exceptionally bad

I would also like to be able to see more missions on the intel map in areas that have a high volume of missions, maybe have the ability to sort them alphabetically. Also would be nice to be able to better organize missions in the mission authoring tool rather than having them all randomly thrown together.

Post edited by kiloecholima on
  • transfering mosaics to other players would be nice. I have several mosaics that I created on my old account, which was banned several years ago. some mosaics there need maintenance, but there is no way to do it, mision author tool is closed, and niantic does not care.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Missions should act as a wiki. You have the original person who created it but there's times where maintenance is dependent on the active agents in the area.

• Put in a support request to remove the missions, then recreate them on your new account.

• Almost every wiki is subject to malicious edits. Ingress would be worse than most.