Glyph rewards - long sequences vs short sequences

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in General

From what I understand, the gear you obtain from glyphing is only based upon whether you obtain all the glyphs correctly, with a bonus based on the speed that you repeat the sequence.

This doesn't feel right to me to ignore the minimum patching required per glyph sequence. There are some sequences that are much shorter/longer than each other. I can complete some 5-glyph sequences with 7-8 seconds left, but others I struggle to hit 2-3 seconds left on the clock due to longer/more complex glyph pathing.

I imagine Niantic has the ability to collect the average speed per sequence from all the players to observe statistically on a bell curve. Shouldn't we be getting greater rewards for completing the longer sequences, even if they take longer to complete? Does anyone have the theorycraft on the minimum distance required to complete each glyph sequence? @Ishira maybe?

Comments

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love this. Complex 5-sequences all day long.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of get where you're coming from that for any particular sequence it seems unfair. It also feels unfair that sometimes I hack eight X8s and sometimes I hack one. If you step back and look at the broader view I think it actually is fair because glyph sequences are more or less randomly distributed and over time it will all balance out.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe the complexity of the glyphs changes what items you get does it? From what I've been told and seen, getting one glyph correct gets the bonus items. After that the only thing the time limit and amount you get right affects is the ap. I've sat at a portal hacking the 4 then the new set from the multi hack and had the same pattern come up 3 times in a row, hacking for keys, cant remember exactly what I got, but kne time I got a decent amount of stuff but no keys, then next time 2 keys with roughly .the same stuff, then 3 keys (was very happy with that one) but virtually no resos or busters, but a decent amount of cubes and say 2 mods

I do agree though, that the more complex or longer sequence you get SHOULD result in a bit more ap or items or both like something that involves past, present/now, future is a lot easier than one that has portal, chaos and contemplate in it (dunno if there is a sequence that they are in, but you get my meaning)

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting the whole sequence right gets you more items than getting part of the sequence right. Being speedy will also increase the output a little bit. You can't really see this by observing individual hacks, though.. you need to record hack outputs meticulously over a fairly large number to see the difference.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough, the older agents i had talked to said that only getting one right got the bonus items, but they kught not have paid attention as much

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I know some people who don't like to glyph but do one of the five so that they can get some bonus. There's really not a whole lot of difference between one glyph and 4/5, but 5/5 is significant.

• The selection of sequence is semi-random, therefore on the average you'll get an average number of fast and slow sequences. Gear delivery has always had a level of randomness to it, but the best way to achieve good gear, is to get good at all the sequences.

Something of note too: It's better to complete a sequence slowly, than fail to complete it quickly. There are far more rewards for getting it all right, than there are for getting it done fast, so don't rush and fail. Slow and steady is better.

• edited February 2021

I'd love to reduce the output of glyphs back to what it was at release of Glyphs, but that also comes with a host of other changes like reducing shields back down to 10/20/40 and ditching Aegis. 🤣 So I doubt I'll ever see that happen.