An interesting interview with Brian

A Japanese game news company interviewed Niantic's Brian and posted an interesting article about ingress.  For details, please see the following site by machine translation (I do not have the translation right, so I can only introduce it).

https://app.famitsu.com/20210216_1764485/

The outline is as follows.

😜The portal history function will be implemented in the scanner update tomorrow. 

💥We are looking for a way to perform XM anomaly under the current circumstances. 

⚔️We are considering whether the function of the battle beacon can be utilized in the anomaly. 

🛸We are developing Drone Mark 2 and are considering some new features such as multiplayer.

Tagged:

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

💥We are looking for a way to perform XM anomaly under the current circumstances. 

I wonder how this will work and how others would be able to participate if they can't get to it due to Corona.

⚔️We are considering whether the function of the battle beacon can be utilized in the anomaly. 

It would be... interesting to see hundreds of BBs on the playing field.

🛸We are developing Drone Mark 2 and are considering some new features such as multiplayer.

Travel via link pls

How would drone multiplayer work? Drone battles?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

So curious why that information isn’t shared here when we ask those questions? I get the article will help hype the game a bit, but c’mon....

The bit about the guardian medal has my interest...

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharing it here doesn't help promote the game. What's the point of an interview only for the users?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

But that's the community manager job.

But in a certain way, Brian did just that, he just didn't post it here.

Excited to see where the drone technology goes, but as many have asked for in the past, kind of low interest for me until medals of some sort are introduced.

Brian, can you comment on anything related to a medal being introduced at some point or why there hasn’t been one released so far? We’re all itching to really put that drone to use :)

• Leaves out one of the key points:

The pulse was removed because it was bad for visual effects, and Niantic has hired additional staff to address the issues with the game's usability and appearance 😄

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 on the drone badge, not sure why we havent got one yet, more ppl would be motivated use it and its safe no matter where u are.

edited February 2021

Thank you for the insight. Sounds like there might be some retroactive ability there which is nice hear (just assuming, but not holding you to it). Suppose I can build up those drone stat numbers in the meantime 🤷🏼‍♂️

🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

• edited February 2021

There is a new article from another news site. This article is also enormous. (the only language is Japanese.)

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Indeed. I'm getting close to my limit and would love to be able to make more. I also wish there was a way to organize missions in the mission authoring tool. All the missions from my banners randomly mix together and makes it hard to find drafts and specific missions for editing.

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

As commented in multiple posts, Drone Explorer (based on Unique Portals Drone Visited stat) would be a really nice bagde to encourage traveling and exploring: visiting new locations to drop your drone and cover all portals in a self paced way, checking far away portals from home or even revisiting calmly those portals you already captured in a unique explorer/pioneer hunt trip!

Following difficulty of Explorer/Pioneer badges and taking into account drone events can speed up numbers, the tiers could be:

• Bronze: 50
    • Silver: 250
    • Gold: 2000
    • Platinum: 5000
    • Onyx: 15000

This way, it could be an easy badge for tenacious agents, taking time but not huge efforts.

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

Yeah, Ingress Hardmode. Onyx would be less than 3 years doing 15 jumps a day. A bit more than 4 years with 10 jumps a day. Take into account that events that reduce cooldown would drastically reduce time needed if advantage is taken.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Also take into account that to find all the unique portals outside your city you'll need to travel around so there will be some gaps in the unique hunting. That'll then take 3.5-4.5 years for many, at 15k. Too much if you ask me.

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

Yup, that's my intention with these numbers. I've been playing for more than 7 years and I'm far away from Explorer/Pioneer onyxes despite I've traveled for many Mission Days, Anomalies, challenges, OPs and trips for uniques.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

For Explorer/Pioneer you actually need to walk around. I like the numbers on those medals (I only have both plat for now). For drones you only need to, say, ride a train passing some city and drop a drone there, without actually even going off the train. Not so much exploration, just planned grind. Consider recalls too - and there will definitely be forced recalls from another cities when you're not there.

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

Well, I disagree on exploration part - it's virtual exploration since you can check portals, with its pictures, descriptions and so on. Recalls can be really frustrating, yeah. That's part of the difficulty of the badge, apart from going on trips to drop the drone and being constant on jumping. I would be okish with 10k for Onyx, that would make wings a thing.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian, I'm ready to buy a new drone for my collection, release it quickly. But make it functions that are not in the first model drone. For example, the delivery of items under the portal, or some other interaction. 

• It would be amazing to perform XM Anomaly like we do with IngressFS Virtual events. Decoding some codes to get Anomaly place keys and with the drone play in that area. The more decoding the more keys u get and u can visit more places and move between portals.

Waiting for the Drone Mark 2 to travel across links, using portal keys or increasing distance between portal jumps. The idea of interacting with each other Drones to get a global achievement is a great idea too.

----------------------------------------

Sería impresionante el poder participar en una anomalía en estos momentos tal como hacemos con los IngressFS Virtuales. Una posible idea sería el decodificar un código canjeable que te diese una llave de la zona y mediante ella poder moverte por la zona. Y para poder conseguir mayor movimiento pues tienes que decodificar y obtener más llaves.

Espero con ganas el Drone Mark 2 para poder vijar a través de los enlaces, a traves de las llaves en tu inventario o con un aumento de la distancia de los saltos. Poder iinteractuar entre Drones para un logro común también me parece una genial idea.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't Ingress about "adventures on foot" or some such? How does "Drone Explorer", or any other drone statistic, contribute to that in a way that goes above and beyond all of Ingress's other medals and statistics?

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

It can be worked together with Explorer and Pioneer. Think on a quick trip to capture uniques in a village, small town or even a neighborhood of a bigger city. You try to pass through many portals to get those points, but you also drop your drone there. In the following days, you can revisit those portals with your drone. Of course, force recalls can make your goals harder to achieve, but that is part of the thing.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

But that's not really "above and beyond." Explorer and Pioneer already encouraged you to take that trip somewhere for uniques. You didn't need the drone and a drone-related medal for that.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it more as spy and stealth kind of stuff, so drones would make sense from thst perspective