[Feature Request] NAV functionality

Hi guys,

don't you miss the navigator we could activate in the old scanner to measure distances by tapping a spot on the mobile screen? 🤔

As said in this Reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Ingress/comments/9va12w/is_there_any_way_to_invoke_this_in_prime_this_is/), that was quite useful for helping orientate oneself in a foreign city, since the scanner showed continuously distance and direction to the reference point when activated.

Moreover, as explained in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpeNFmtOhfU), it was also possible to find out the exact distance to a resonator, so you knew if a XMP burster was going to damage it from there without burning it.

As everyone here should know, there's a minimal distance between two portals to be both approved. If we know a candidate is too close to a existing portal, it's no need to waste a portal nomination and overload Wayfarer with candidates which are going to be rejected, so here is another reason to implement this feature in Prime.

Well, the question is: are we going to have NAV functionality back anytime soon?? @NianticBrian

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I barely used this. Only on the final months of redacted I learned the hoping technique to see any portal in any distance (kinda like the drones) and lock the view of certain ones, for example to quick recharge a specific portal (with the current broken comm, that would be really helpful).

You can still discover the resonators distance, your distance from the center of the portal is located on portal view. Take that +40m and will able to tell if you can hit it or not. No precisely, but still helpful.

And for locating yourself, google maps and other GPS are far better for this goal. The navigate was cool, but I didn't trusted it to much.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use this quite a bit. In addition, if I remember correctly, the nav would be automatically on for the next portal in a mission which was helpful.

It's not a feature which is going to change Ingress in any serious way, but I'd like to see it eventually.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I don't think it's needed. I suggest you use maps apps for navigation.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried using the nav feature many times, and every time it failed to be useful, ended up using Gmaps.

Some players found it useful, particularly when doing missions with lots of portals in close proximity.

Which I concede that in such a scenario it would be useful, until Niantic brought out the disambiguation feature.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I used this quite a lot for exploring remote areas, not every day but on average several times per week. It was useful for looking around an area based on a message in comms.

Navigate to portal and the stats screenshot functionality are the two things that I really miss from Redacted. On stats, no, dumping the information as text isn't nearly as useful for me. The text version doesn't capture badges and it doesn't create a visual record that I can find later in my photo gallery, and I can't just paste it into a chat with someone to share it. I can work around this one by doing a multi-page screenshot but it isn't as satisfying or useful.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want a Nav hints toggle button.

• I just used it to keep Ingress active, and prevent screen lock. Also helped with keeping Ingress active in the background when switching between apps.

• Nav had a voice that constantly announced the distance to the target portal. I found that very useful on the bicycle to know if I was still going in the right direction and when I had arrived. I did not even need to attach the phone to the handle bar to navigate to a portal, I could just keep it in my pocket.

• Am I the only one who have never used this? :) But maybe it would be nice to have a turn on/off button for this.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@atsepicnu No, you're not the only one who never used it. There was no reason to turn it off as it was off by default. In order to use it you tapped a portal and then hit "navigate to portal." It then put an overlay on your screen that kept you apprised of how far away you were and what direction the portal was. There were other useful benefits but that was the main functionality.

• Thanks! I don't remember the function very well. I don't do much missions :)

• it was super helpful during missions and in places where you weren't so familiar with. It would be nice if you could export out location data from the scanner for a portal and put it into your navigation app of choice.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

^^ look its a button that allows export or location.....

Don't know why that other games ability to just open the default maps app isnt included....

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

This was awesome for navigating while going after a target.

Also finding your way home.

• I used to use it constantly! When commanding anomalies I could stand with everyone and tap the same place on their phones, then they would all have a squad waypoint.

It was drastically more immersive to listen to distance in meters than to be hearing gmaps give directions. Also, I would often be in places where gmaps is either useless or irrelevant.

Being able to just go pick an arbitrary point was really handy.

• I sometimes used to use it to mark where I parked. Even when not playing.