2.60.2 Long loading time of assets

GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Device: Galaxy S9+ Exynos (plan to be replaced in 2021)

Network: WiFi and Mobile networks

Method

- From the app closed, and not in memory

- Start Ingress Prime

- World spinning logo is short as intended

- Upon entering the game map it takes up to 20s more to load up Portals, Links and Fields

Recharging

- Load up the recharge screen

- pick a portal to recharge

- Recharge All

- select another portal to recharge

- Recharge All

Either the first or second portals being released charged, hang at the recharging state while the portal keys load in the back ground.

Both seem to have gotten worse since moving to the low cost servers

10 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Same for me. Portals sometimes load really slow at startup. And when they aren't loaded, it's easier to tap a closest portal icon (which points to a portal 150 meters away) so the game loads portals at remote view but this is actually near you.

Android 10, Galaxy S10e Exynos

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

A while back a new bug was introduced. Startup time was reduced but the surrounding area still takes about 30 seconds to load.

A few patches back, a tentative fix was introduced, but in iOS this never fixed it.

Any update after all this time?

iOS 14.3, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ingress 2.61.2

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Is it me, or is there no link in the "How to report a bug", linking to the "Known issues"?

It says to check it first but there is no link. I hope they don't mean, "skim through this huge list of topics opened by your fellow players to see if someone else reported it". :D

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad you are going to investigate an issue for an old version of the client application.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020

Investigating: Feb 1, 2021

/sigh

• My load time is also extremely slow. If I get an attack notification and want to try to recharge, it takes almost a minute for the alerts tab to populate. And then I have to scroll to find the most recent notification.

Often it is faster to force stop the app and restart.

Samsung 20+, Android v. 11.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried the same tests on my new S21 ultra, on 5G, and it was still very slow.

It is so bad, that from the time you get a push notification that a portal is under attack, by the time the alerts tab takes to load, that portal is neutral. When you could have had a chance to save it with battle recharging

• I have experienced this as well, although I can't reproduce it at will. SOMETIMES it is fine. Often, I can't even get the alerts tab to load at all, and I have a pretty high end phone - Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G. Is there any additional information we could supply to help troubleshoot this?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, the issue is still there. When the app opens it loads the map pretty fast, I can see some links and fields around me, but around 40% of the portals are actually visible. After about ~30 seconds, the rest is loaded. I can speed it up by accessing the drone view and exiting; especially if the drone is in the same area.

I love the fact that the app starts up fast, but it's annoying that you still have to wait for the rest of the map to load when it does.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue remains, but the lack of someone noting that they are investigating after over a month is saddening. So much for people reading the forums. If they never update the issues, how do we know if they are looking at an issue or whatnot? Lack of dev cycles and lack of someone to update the bugs forum cycles.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

You have to give a positive rating on the appstore (google or apple) first, haha. Then they will go and fix actual issues and hire a community manager to interact with us on their own forum.

/s - I kid, but there is some truth in this. I'd rather see actual fixes in the updates, but since november we've gotten some placeholder updates without actual fixes. Some android users even got screwed out of using ingress for a pretty long time.

But hey. There's no real alternative to Ingress; so we just have to take it and hope for the best I guess.

Edit: Even the fixes wayfarer promised (Some post about the accepted portal pictures not making it into the game, there was supposed to be a database update to fix this early january, but silence and no update, as usual...) are not being done.

It's like everyone is working parttime on this side project. But it is what it is I guess. Even the communities are dying under the pandemic and lockdowns, it depressing really.