Reseting a portal that has been spoofed, why this needs to be improved
I wanted to write this post as a feedback for Niantic, to highlight some flaws and share concerns about the situation we're facing in my area.
First let me recap some events:
- on January 15th in the evening a new account from opposing faction starts playing in a medium-sized city, immediately attracting curiousity because our country is under covid restriction which forbid people to go outside after 6PM
- said account plays like a regular player would, no obvious beginner mistake, reaches level 4 or 5 easily and stops
- during the night between January 15th and January 16th around 1AM account previously mentioned uses a virus on a portal in a mountain area, which is immediately identified as spoofing (mountains are covered in snow, we're in the middle of the night and the account exists since less than 6h). At that time several strategic links are destroyed.
- An agent of my faction that is not sleeping immediately starts writing a report, report is sent at 2AM, asking for a reset of the portal and the links
- By the end of the night the account is banned, 7AM local time January 16th
- A vanguard reaches the agent owning the portal before it was spoofed on January 17th
- The portal is reseted on January 19th, approximate time 7AM local time
Between the report of cheating and the reset of the portal 72h passed. Now this is where things are getting ugly: during these 72h several agents from the faction of the spoofer have thrown links that should not have been possible to establish because they would have been crossing links destroyed by the spoofer. Those links are still there and blocked the restoration of most of the links the spoofer destroyed.
So from my faction point of view here is what we learn: if a link is blocking a future operation there is always the possibility to
- create a dummy account
- spoof one of the strategic portals blocking your operation to come
- let the account get banned
- go throw support links for future operation
I'd like to hear the opinion of @NianticBrian on this topic, why can't link destroyed by a cheating action take priority over those established after that ? The current situation is leaving way too much room for spoofers to do severe damage.
EDIT: remove name of a virus form the generic term "virus" since I want to keep this post as neutral and faction independant as possible