Mission approval slow

phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

I submitted missions in July, 2020, and they havent been review yet?

Also it would be nice to have a Mission 'discussion' area on community.

Comments

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s already well known missions take forever and a day to be approved or rejected. Unfortunately it’s just a waiting game.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I did some in November that took a couple of days. As a test, withdraw one and resubmit, see what happens... wonder if they got lost somewhere...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i would re-submit them, clearly something happend it should go much faster now i read.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

Ok I did the withdrawn and resubmit and got a quick reject.

I wish they would clarify reject reason. They list a number of reasons it could be. And doesnt make sense - its my own photo taken at the location the portals with a title and description relating to the photo.

The others are still not reviewed. You would think they would see a resubmit as part of a backlog of my other missions in the banner and review them all?

After resubmitting 6, 1 is approved, 2 is rejected and 4 are not reviewed. First submitted in July

For the rejected 1, I'm on my 4th attempt. Niantic don't tell you why missions are rejected. It adds alot of resubmit time trying to figure out whats wrong.

They say it could be the art, title, description of way points.

And list a number of possible reasons. And we know from experience there are reasons for rejection that are not listed, such as 'letters'.

The mission is about black lives matter and a photo I took at the location where the mission waypoints are located. The title and description indicate the location.

The review process is discouraging mission authors. Please let us make missions.

Still waiting. 6 months now. Seems a bit slow.

Any tips on getting Niantic to review missions faster?

I’d resubmit :/ I certainly wouldn’t expect a response from Niantic regarding it..

I did a withdrawn and resubmit in mid december. And was expecting a bit of slowness over the holidays, but its been another month.

How long should one wait before resubmitting?

edited January 2021

Oh, I thought you were saying you left a few in there and hadn’t resubmitted. My last ones went through in less than a week, but that was November. Maybe things are back to “normal” and taking this long :/

Lets do a test: No missions in this one part of town, so, I just made one:

Submitted 1.12.2021, 9:54 AM

Post edited by ZeroHecksGiven on
  • MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

I've been getting missions approved/rejected in 6-72 hrs over the last month or so. Edits to approved missions sat for over 2 weeks so I "unpublished" and "republished" the mission with the edit and got it approved in 2 days.

Why are mine sitting in the queue unreviewed for 6 months?

Is it the controversial nature of black lives matter? I dont see any banners like this in ingressmosaic?

I did a BLM mission in Seattle. Was a nightmare, but that’s beside the point.

Imagine if someone from Niantic jumped in here and could give you an actual answer....

Niantic, will you be reviewing my missions? Ever?

Submitted in July. Resubmitted in December.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

Well, mines got reviewed so fast and I still need to rewrite descriptions.

Still not reviewed. I resubmitted the missions in December. Now its April. No response. 4 months since the resubmit.

Niantic dont respond to community bug reports?

Still not reviewed.  Missions were submitted July 2020, and its now June 2021.

Nor have Niantic responded on the slow mission reviews.

I've heard other agents have tried (and failed) to submit missions in my area, so some are getting reviewed at least.

It takes up mission quota (180 limit) to have missions under review. I'd prefer a rejection so I could use those mission slots to re-publish old missions at least.

Niantic, please fix mission reviews that are in limbo

I'm not sure if Niantic monitors their own forums anymore...

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Honestly, the whole system is just so bad. The mission authoring tool needs a total overhaul so we can better organize our missions (and hopefully submit more, maybe could be part of CORE). The approval/rejection form letter emails need to be rewritten and give mission creators more clear reasoning for a rejection so the creator knows how to fix it. It is also seriously frustrating when one mission in a banner gets rejected while the rest of the banner is accepted (I know the reason for this is because Niantic doesn't recognize banners and treats missions individually, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or point out that it lacks common sense). Sometimes it honestly feels like Niantic trying to make a banner fail so the author pulls the whole thing. Reviewing time generally has seemed to get better, but the example in this thread show that some things are falling through the cracks. Nothing should be deliberately not getting a response (either approve it or deny it or figure out what happened to it).

Edit: ^That doesn't even get into the arbitrary, inconsistent, and flat out wrong decisions on approvals/rejection.

Post edited by kiloecholima on

Niantic finally reviewed my missions. It took nearly 11 months, just to get a response. Which was thankfully, approved.

Submitted 7/22/2020

Reviewed 6/13/2021

Next step is unpublish the first 6 that just got approved, and submit the next 6. Because I dont have enough quota (180) to have them all live at once.

All other mission issues are moot if review times dont improve.

Some suggestions on how to improve review time

• a wayfarer approach for missions. Have the community review missions and if rejected, hopefully they can provide better feedback on why.
    • fast track the #MP mission project reviews. Have the base mission reviewed once, so when everyone submits those missions. Especially ensure the art will not be rejected for 'copyright'. The name and description follow a template where we fill in the city. Reviews should be quick and nearly always approved.
    • increase quota (180 missions), so we dont have to unpublish to make space, and then republish, when someone requests the mission be live again. Most of my reviews are republishing of old missions.
    • if a review takes more than a month, give us a heat sink :-)

Niantic reviewed some new missions in 2 week turn around. So at least for now, I consider this issue resolved.

It would be nice to have a way to mark requests as resolved.

I wasn't able to publish a second sunday banner last month.

1. review times have gone up. Its about 2 weeks now
    2. my first 2 attempts got rejected. 3rd one got approved, but on Second Monday

Faster reviews would be good. Especially if its just a bot doing the rejections. At least I would know I need to submit another banner right away.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

the whole mission system needs a brand new re-work, i know krug back then tried work on that but nothing sadly came out of it before he left...

I'm sure someone out there in Niantic land is listening, maybe....maybe not.

But I'm guessing if it's not something to do with scanning, it's low on the priority list unfortunately. I'm not surprised to see review times **** back up. They introduce a new medal based around doing missions, so more people want to make cool missions and I'm guessing Niantic hasn't prepared for this. Either in adding more robots to review or actually reviewing the practices these robots...I mean, reviewers are using to accept or reject this flood of missions.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said it before:

and I'll say it again: I think mission review is all done by humans, but I don't think any human at Niantic has it as their primary job. It's an extra thing they do when they're caught up on more important and interesting stuff. Judging by the... variety of reviewing standards, there probably isn't even real training for it, let alone a QA process to make sure everyone's using the same standards.

Thinking about more since then, I realize missions are probably going to stay a low priority for a long time, because they're a difficult feature to monetize. Missions don't require enough gear to incentivize gear purchasing, and doing missions doesn't even generate "network effects" activity that encourages non-missioning players to play more.

Missions are a weird Ingress "activity island" in that most players can completely ignore them (and ignore other players doing them) without hurting their game, whereas other activities (like anomalies and medal challenges) strongly encourage portal turnovers that can't be ignored, which encourages using gear, which eventually encourages buying CMU.

I doubt anything interesting is going to happen with the missions backend (or even frontend) until the dev team figures out how to make missions encourage spending. It's a legacy feature boondoggle.

edited March 2022

Got my ten rejections after a week of waiting. Always been told each mission is reviewed as a unique mission. Interesting I had ten of them all rejected at the same exact time….

my rejection reasons were,

A lack of a clear and informative description and/or title

Mission Image, description, and/or title are unrelated to the Waypoints chosen

Ive had two of the 24 approved. Those two shared the same title and description. The missions take place in, I know this is crazy to imagine…. Grayland Park! The mission images, adventure toast. Niantic literally just released a toast medal and somehow these little toast icons aren’t a go 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Lemme guess. The Grayland Park banner is located at Grayland Park and has a picture of Grayland Park, and the name, Grayland Park is in the title and description. But sure, they are unrelated

At least the rejection was fast... you can try over and over really fast.