Portal discovery grants a unique visit

SeppoEnoSeppoEno ✭✭
edited January 2021 in Report a Bug

Since December 2020 I have noticed that discovering a portal automatically grants unique visit for the portal. Actually visiting the portal and interacting with it by hacking does not grant a UPV as I already got it. Unique captures are not affected by the bug.

Ingress Prime version: 2.61.3

Device: Oneplus 7, Android 10

Post edited by SeppoEno on
13 votes

Intended - Not a Bug · Last Updated

We updated what actions that count for a unique Portal Visit in Jan 2021 to include Portal discovery as well as other actions, including hack, deploy or upgrade a Resonator, deploy a Portal Mod, create a Link, deploy a Beacon or Firework, locally recharge the Portal, successfully upload a Portal Scan, and successfully submit a Portal photo.

Comments

• I can confirm this, it happened to me with two portals, but not sure since when this is happening.

• Agreed. This has also happened to me on NYE and we have been discussing it in several UK groups.

Seems to have been occurring since mid December.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. That should stay.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

And... why is this a bug? It should've been working like this since the beginning.

BTW I agree that Niantic should've told us about the feature. But Niantic never changes...

• daawgdaawg ✭✭✭

I can confirm this as well. Every time I get an unique portal discovered, I get an increase to unique portals visited. Last time this happened was yesterday. I don’t think this was present in the previous Prime version.

Of course UPV should only be increased when actually visiting an unique portal, regardless of being the one who discovered it or not.

setup:

Ingress Prime v2.61.3

iPhone 12 pro 256gb

iOS 14.2.1

• This should not be a bug, this should be the way it works. UPV +1, Discovered +1, Seer +1 if applicable, no change to other stats like hacks, UPC.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I suggested this in an AMA or something years ago and kind of got the "good idea, who knows?" treatment.

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

You've visited the portal to nominate it. So getting a UPV count seems fair. They're not touching the UPC count since you didn't actually capture it with your faction specific XM signature.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a portal accepted yesterday. Despite not leaving the house the entire day, I show a new unique visit (Explorer). Magic! Now if we can retro that, I can be much closer to my next Explorer badger!

• Sagitario14Sagitario14 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

So... They have to change medal description for what is now: "Visit or hack".

• It has technically always been "visit or hack". Deploying a resonator or mod or throwing a link from it counts as a visit even if you do not hack. Basically any activity where you have to be in range of the portal to do it. Bursting at a portal doesn't count since you can do that from pretty far away.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about throwing a link but deploying a mod doesn't count into Explorer. I burned on that a month ago, thinking I could simply mod everything around and then finding that it doesn't count. Deploying or upgrading a reso does for sure.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Modding has never worked for uniques. I always tried to either drop a reso or hack portals. When I used to travel longer distances for uniques, I'd just load up on L8 resos, as most of the time that worked if you just added the L8 reso & usually the locals were happy for the upgrade.

This discussion has been closed.