Unique viewer as a recursion benefit?

RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in General

Just throwing an idea out there... showing uniques is something players really want, but it's technically difficult for reasons to do with hashing explained by @ofer2 in other recent uniques threads. The short version is roughly 'we didn't design it to work that way, so it's tough to do that'. If the system had been designed from the ground up to show uniques, it would be easier to do.

Another thing players want is recursion benefits. It strikes me that Niantic could very neatly kiII two birds with one stone here.

It would be way simpler for Niantic to build a new unique tracker if they didn't have to port over existing data... so why not build it that way, and have access to it as a recursion benefit? Not porting existing data would mean everything would be a new unique again, so the badge would be easier to get, but I think that would actually quite a good compromise, as it provides a recursion benefit and it fits pretty well with the lore around recursion to say it's the first time you visited a portal in your new simulacra body.

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something to everyone, and will be more useful for the newcomers seeking for a badge for level up. Explorer and Piony was the badges I used to teach lv13 and 14, and had a hard time doing it, and would be a lot easier actually seeing where I should've be going.

It could be a subscription only feature maybe, but not just for recursed please.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be the only one in this category but by the time I recursed a unique visits marker would have been of no use to me and unique captures marker was quickly losing its value.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Depends on play area. In my box uniques are strictly how much time I want to spend on public transportation. There are places where that is not a luxury, and that's understood.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mirthmaker I get it. I have the luxury of traveling extensively except when there's a global pandemic, but not everyone does.

I think the generalization of my statement is that a unique marker is probably most valuable for newer players and loses value over time. Or maybe I'm just cranky about it because if it was added now it would just be taunting me. (-:

• I've gotten Black Explorer and Pioneer already too (recursed with 27,000 visits, the first time), but that doesn't mean I don't want the uniques indicator for both expanding my horizons, and because it's worthwhile for others. I agree that I don't think it's something that should be held behind a recursion though.

@Rostwold If the system exists, it should be available to everyone. And the data for the old uniques can be converted over time. I'd prefer to continue expanding my unique count by visiting places I haven't been, than have to return to places I have just to clear a mark off the map. Given that I think there's more active people recursed than not at this point, I don't think you'd actually save a terribly large amount.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I suppose it was worth suggesting, if only to rule it out.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading this discussion just occurred to me that one good thing as "recursion benefits" would be extra rank for the current badges, or exclusive badges for recursed agents. Instead of just getting +1 count added to the badge when you achieve the onyx again, each new rank could have different amounts (some onyxis are too easy).

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

So, the plan is Niantic generating its own scrapped DB and then handling it to the players?

That is so hilarious that it could even work! Even as revenue source.

Heck, they could even just buy already existing scrappers!

• edited January 2021

Unlikely.

What's more likely is that they'll implement a "From now on" system, and allow people to pay a fee to have their old data retroactively applied, to cover the cost of the processing power.