New feature request: uniques mark

AdalbercikAdalbercik ✭✭
edited December 2020 in General

Hi.

During 2020 we had two new unique categories introduced: Scout Control and Drone visit. Additionally, we had Visits and Capture since the beginning (at least 2014).

It was rumored that with Prime a mark if a Portal has been captured or visited will be shown. Still no feature like that.

My proposal: make small squares with respective medal icons visible when checking Portal details. If captured/controlled/visited a respective medal icon would "light up" (similar to having / not having a Portal key).

When it comes to Drone, a mark similar to Pokemon Go will be so much useful while in Drone mode. It can be also a fourth square in Portal detail to inform Agent about all unique cstegories in one place.

This will increase both awareness and activity.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• It should be, from the very beginning of Ingress. We have already breached 30 000 000 Portals mark, multiply it 4 times and remember which one has and which one has not been actioned... Impossible

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

The problem is the current servers and backend programming dont allow for the data to be presented until after client interacts with a portal,, this is why scout doesn't appear to change until someone else scans, the backend change has been indefinitely delayed......

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

As seen with new additions, the callbacks can definitely be added into the current client/server code.

It just hasn't been a big priority lately, due to making Ingress cheaper to run, and to increase income.

Oddly that it took 2 interns, who were probably paid zilch, to implement a couple of features that were requested for over 8 years.

I reckon that there is little reason anymore to get on with it, especially with the income problem, which will mostly be sorted when subscriptions come.

• edited December 2020

The specific UI isn't the issue here. However they choose to display the state (visited, captured, scanned, controlled), they simply don't currently have the back end means to retrieve the information to provide that state in a getEntities style call (I can't remember the name of the Client equivalent)

It's simply development work that needs to be done at some point to morph the data into a usable form.

Oddly that it took 2 interns, who were probably paid zilch, to implement a couple of features that were requested for over 8 years.

There's a big difference between moving UI code from Pokemon Go to Ingress for a previously non-existent element, and muddling with the internals of an element that has been probably relatively unchanged since 2012.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's technically impossible to do, but it's probably technically expensive. There's a difference between checking and updating that one portal that you just (interacted with), and getting/maintaining information about the 80 portals that are on your screen right now, and oh you're walking so there are ten more in the view and, then the system starts muttering, "Geez, c'mon already. Stop walking so I can catch up, OK?"

There's a timeliness factor involved too-- if you (interact with) a new-to-you portal and your stats don't get updated for two minutes that's probably not a big deal to you... you probably won't notice and if you do you're probably used to stats lag by now. Most people will be much more annoyed if something is marked as a unique (interaction) for them in the UI and it turns out not to be unique after all, or if it's not marked as a unique until after they've passed by.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

There is the point,

'Every time you hack'

Its triggered on hack cause the data is accessible by trigger when you hack...

• While an on scanner indicator like pogo has would be extremely useful, at minimum it would be nice to see if we open led up the deploy screen for the portal in question. The scanner has already had to send a request to get the image to display and the extra data whether it was hacked previously, capped, scanned or controlled could be displayed even as icons.

• @hiryu

And yet they do seem to be able to do this check every time I hack or deploy on a portal, to update the UPV stat. 

Would you like a complex lesson on how B+ trees, log n search complexity, and S2 cell determination work?

If not, please accept that the current structure is designed to quickly determine if a given item already exists. It is not designed to retrieve all the items "in an area".

It can be changed. However, that change will not be simple, and may cause other significant performance or cost issues in the game.

• It would be great if Niantic could implement at least a mark when we capture the portal.

• I'd much rather see Niantic implement a friends list

• It doesnt like to dificult to implement and would be Very helpful to identify and Discovery New places. And obviously ir would also help us to increase the pioneer badge.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
  • 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like the complex lesson if you don't mind?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Didnt brian said long ago said showing uniques in scanner is not going to happen. ?

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

I thought the wording was 'before code changes' - the very code changes @Perringaiden mentions above...

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I know enough about development to know that you are correct. I also know enough about developers to know that often a pain in the neck bit of work is sold as "can't do" rather than "we don't want to do this".

As you have said, they need to make this a priority if they are ever going to implement this feature. In addition, they really need to work on their revenue stream to pay for the additional processing needed. So, it is true they are in a bit of a conundrum.

However, Ingress has lost many, many players over the years because of their seeming unwillingness to listen to the priorities of their fanatical player-base. Hopefully, if we keep asking, they will move this feature up the development priority list when possible.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's obvious there isn't an easy or timely way to introduce these visual markers. But, couldn't tapping on the portal show these details somewhere? That's introducing the call for that info, right?

• She has been doing this on the Pokémon for many years

• This would be a very helpful tool. I know, its not so easy and cheap. But this tool is available in pokemon since a long time and have been promised to ingress too, but until now, nothing. Ingress deserve a little more "love".

At least we have a cool 2021 medal :)

• I really want this tool to be in ingress..... This will be really helpful!

• @NianticBrian @NianticOfficial Hello! Please Take a look.

• @NianticBrian @NianticOfficial please, take a look.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZeroHecksGiven the markers to identify uniques, would need to show up on the Intel Map, and Map view in game, to really be meaningful

• Ajudaria bastante.