Possible improvement to constantly rethrown fields to inaccessible portals.

13»

Comments

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@kernelPanic192 Where I live it's not hard to find three field anchors that are extremely difficult. One closed lighthouse, one snowed-in portal in the Sierras, and one lighthouse that's only open on weekends and you can make a pretty durable field. We also have portals in Alaska and Hawaii that are very difficult to get to. It's a horrible idea and I'd never consider doing it but it might be possible to throw a field that couldn't be taken down for an entire winter.

• Or like a recent field in Australia, an isolated, a no access mining site, and a quarantine restricted island off the coast maintain a 2800km link semi permanently, ready for fielding whenever people desire.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its just a suggestion, but honestly, how often do you see the same team using the same anchor constantly? At the very least they csn just move to another portal and that means the mu gets fixed anyway.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Using the same anchors constantly is normal play out here. "They can just move to another portal" is an interesting double-edged sword. If you have two or three hard anchors close together then you could just switch between them constantly and never fall into your MU trap. If there aren't multiple portals in that area then you've negated a strong advantage that one team has gained.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can attest to the Australian fields, there are more than just the one you're referencing, but all similar with hard to get portals (hell I own one of them lol). Even so, I detest the laziness involved, it shows that bigger fields are more important than actually allowing people to play the game and fostering competition. You can make way more MU and AP by making lots of layered fields closer to the cities. Plus for the most part, the opposition has died off here, so there's no real strategy or challenge involved. It's just for the lazy MU and at the cost of everybody else.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL VR items aren't VR items at all anymore. Even without them replicating.

Why?

I hacked 4 softbanks today from key hacking a single portal with a VR multi hack. (no fracker used)

Please remind me what a Very Rare item is again?

I gave away a capsule of VR items away 2 weeks ago to a traveler. Since then I've already gained back a quarter of those items from general play. Most of the gear was obtained from glyph hacking while micro fielding. So level 1 to level 6 portals.

Very Rare is a joke these days.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Replicating keys is bad.

Having power cubes whereas agents can sit at home and recharge portals (including hard to reach one's) from the comfort of their couches is good.

Being able to purchase cubes from the store so one can recharge hard to reach portals or others is good too, right?

This would **** the ability to run a recharge room and force agents to attend an anomaly on SITE. (when we get back to those)

Having to run around and collect xm from the ground is bad. Wouldn't want agents to be able to HAVE to move, right? Wouldn't want to promote movement/exercise, right?

Can argue core changes to the game play in multiple ways. Odd that this is the outcome of not having enough local agents in certain areas...

Just because a few agents want to change a "core" aspect of the game doesn't mean it will happen.

Niantic likes teh big fields anyway. They wouldn't want to slow those down.

• Norfolk for example. The keys have been sent, so no-one need travel there any more, ever again.

• Actually, when the pandemic is over, I'd like to see the cubes withdrawn, but the Resonators remain. But your snarky sarcasm has been addressed already. Just because someone wants to see one thing changed, doesn't mean we pack up and go home.

Just because a few agents want to change a "core" aspect of the game doesn't mean it will happen.

But if it's never suggested and never put forward, it will likely never happen. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Was actually my point, people yse the sane anchors all the time, so choosing to weaken the amount if mu to get from those anchors means they won't be used as often

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that was just your luck, I hack regularly yet very, very rarely do I get vr multi hacks. I get very heat sinks on occasion but again, but not like its a daily, or even weekly, occurance.

• If you look real close at the eastern end of that link there's a bunch of portals. So they could just vary the portal on the island to thwart your logic. And QC's replicating, means they only have to send one of each portal's key across, once.

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

An issue with the way decay rates are right now, and has always been, is that it takes 7 whole days to get to neutral. Up the decay rate from 15% to 17% permanently and you'll have portals decay in time for agents to re-field once a week at least. In a rural area that means a lot.

Other mechanics to help areas affected by long standing fields could be to give more APs for certain actions if a portal is covered under a field. The extra AP would compensate for the inability to make fields.

• Keep a limit of one or 2 QC per player. Stop giving away Hypercubes and QCs for FS and other events.

There was a time when you really valued a QC. You had to earn it.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep 3 QCs a month made them like usual capsules. I've heard of people who recycled all their usual capsules and are now using only QCs; and even started recycling QCs as well. 3 QC a month needs to be stopped.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe set it then so in a set area round the portal (maybe upto 40 or 50 meters) they also get less. My point is make it so constant anchors and anchor areas yeald less results. And I'm saying this with an anchor only I can get to in the current pandemic restrictions because its near my local shop but there isn't another agent that can get to it due to the restrictions (admittedly I cant do much with mine, the best I've managed is 12 layers off it equalling up to about 200k mu and the other anchor gets taken down within an hour lol)

• Catan has feature to reset entire universe by the end of the cycle. Also one of possible solutions.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot will be against it, but it is a good solution.

Or just some sort of HP for the link itself, aside from portal decay, preventing eternal links, unless a manual/local recharge on both portals.

• A reset would have limited gain and a lot of negatives. Because for the same reason people shouldn't argue to delete hard to reach portals, some of the greatest Operations have happened using them.

Being able to only have go to a portal once would turn into "only have to go to a portal once per reset" which wouldn't really gain what people are looking for.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you remember the uprising when Niantic wanted to reset the network once, let alone regularly......

• I do, which is why I know it would be badly received.

Worst Anomaly After Party Ever. 🤣

• It doesn't help that Q-caps are handed out like candy on Halloween at every FS now. And yet they are considered a VR item lol. Anyone can be holding 6-7 caps doing nothing but duplicating keys. If they had limited every agent to having only a single Q-cap, maybe it could have help curb some of this activity. I'm in favor stopping keys from duplicating, even though it is the only function I use mine for. I'm even in favor of doing away with Q-caps entirely.

• I've had a lot of experience with these so called "perma fields". I've lived under blue ones, I've lived under green ones and I've even thrown my own. There is never just one reason for them, or one cause, or only one solution to them. Solving the problem in one area I lived turned out to be a real exercise in community building. It took a dedicated effort to farm good keys for blocking links, coordinating players to stand by when we were taking the field down, and throwing blockers that made it tedious to put the field back up. It was quite a battle and became pretty much the focus for our area, where both sides were very focused on winning the cell score. Had circumstances in that area been different, I would probably have developed a different play style - but that's what the game was there, in those days, and that's how I learned to play. Get those fields down before checkpoint, and get your own fields up to counter them.

Lots of people like to complain about these kind of situations, and not everyone enjoys the style of play it takes to deal with them. The fewer really motivated cell score players in an area there are, the harder the problem of stopping the fields becomes. I've never seen the root cause to be an over abundance of keys. Often - though as always I am sure there are exceptions - the anchors are very accessible to some member of the team and they could hack/frack enough keys for unlimited re-throws.

I've seen more and more of a trend lately for increasing numbers of players who don't really care about fielding on the cell score level. They are more interested in perhaps micro-fielding their area, or just derping around in a "if it shows it throws" manner. This is how they have fun, and they should be able to do this. However, this sets up conflicts in the communities between the agents who want to fight for cell score, and the agents who just want to have fun in their town and don't care about the larger strategic picture. We often end up in arguments about it. "You should take down your field when you're done! It stops us from playing!" "You're not a real Ingress player if you don't care about cell score!" etc etc.

In my own experience, in balanced areas, where there is a good number of agents on both sides supporting both styles of play, fields go up and come down pretty regularly, and some of the town folk may complain when one goes up, but as long as the field is taken down pretty quickly, it's not a big deal. But when the balance shifts and fields stay up for cycle after cycle, complaints start and then it becomes a local community issue to solve. Fields often become "perma" when there are not enough agents motivated to deal with them, especially in remote areas, or areas like Colorado with difficult terrain and miles of driving involved. But like I said, for every instance of a persistent field, there is likely a different cause and different strategy for dealing with them. I've just never seen "too many too easy" keys to be the cause, and messing around with how capsules work would likely introduce more problems than it would solve. I'm a passionate fielder and I do not have any keys I use in Q-caps. I have no problem at all hacking as many as I need and I enjoy going to the portals in person to do that. I tend to use the Q's more for power cubes and xmps. This is just me though. Your mileage may vary ;-)