VSCP discourages portal scanning

saarstahlsaarstahl ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General

why claim scout controller today for 1 point when the same portal might become might become VSCP tomorrow and award 3 points - but only if one is not scout controller already

Post edited by saarstahl on

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Same, I am not bothering with portals I've already scanned.

Unless it is to bump someone from scout controller on the portal

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

not really many yellow markers in my city, so for those wanting extra points there isnt much motivation go hunt these...

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I think the idea is to recatch those who already scanned everything and stoped.

My personal goal for life time is just the gold badges, both 1000, so the VSCP changes almost nothing to me for now.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

My original plans were Onyx Scout and Silver Scout Controller. With VSCP, I might make a run for Gold Scout Controller. In the absence of additional changes, anything more will be the result of serendipity and not focused effort.

• vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I am in the same boat as OP. I had already written off getting higher than gold Scout Controller and was excited to learn of the ability to gain additional points even sporadically until I saw the clarification regarding the current controller and how the 30-day window would not interact.

Now, this actually creates a perverse min-max strategy for scanning new portals as they become available since I basically get 1 shot at becoming scout controller. There is no reason for me to scan a portal I am already controller and I am likely to never be supplanted on any portal I do a scan.

@NianticBrian Please find a way for the current controller to claim the volatile points. This could have provided motivation to revisit an area to gain those points (likely contributing some of my excess quota as otherwise redundant scans to nearby portals as well). Once I complete my regular scout badge, I will probably just abandon scanning completely lacking any practical way to advance; this could have been a partial solution to that.

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

Agreed! I live in a city of over 500,000 people, there is only 1 other agent that scans and they live on the other side of the city. I won't be displaced from the majority of portals I have S Controller on anytime soon, if ever. I really wish my S Controller status would 'decay' so I could claim the additional 2 points on SCVPs. The current SCVP structure absolutely discourages me from scanning anything new in my area that isn't a SCVP, but it may encourage me to scan more when I travel, whenever that happens again.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

This assumed you have a phone that will take the scan the way you need it to.

I see too many people in here that can not.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

The volatile portals are the same as the scan ones in pogo, I don't think those have ever changed as of yet.

• @Hydracyan

I think the idea is to recatch those who already scanned everything and stoped.

Then the implementation is completely broken. It only helps those people if someone else is recapturing their scanned portals first.

The volatile portals are the same as the scan ones in pogo, I don't think those have ever changed as of yet.

Niantic has selected a portion of their portal network to use as 3D POIs. When they get enough for each portal to render it in 3D, they'll move that marker.

I doubt there's a single portal in the game with enough scans to do that though.

As for the OP, I'm in the same boat. I might get a bit less apathy to scan the marked ones, but I'm not going to rescan something I control, nor am I going to scan an unmarked portal and risk not being able to scan it if the markers ever move.

Given that less than a third of the portals are marked, this has done nothing to make the stupidly high badge tiers any easier.