Volatile Scout Controller Portals - Discussion

Comments

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the behavior you're seeing is explained in the original post (emphasis mine, I guess I don't know who, if anyone originally had Scout Controller in your example):

If you’ve already earned 1 Scout Controller Point towards a now Volatile Scout Controller Portal, you can earn 2 additional Scout Controller Points towards that same Portal if you re-claim Scout Controller status. Please note that re-claiming Scout Controller requires you to overtake another Agent’s Scout Controller status on a Portal. If you are currently the Scout Controller on the VSCP, even if it has been more than 30 days since your most recent Portal Scan, scanning the same Portal again extends but does not re-claim Scout Controller status.

Not that I'm a fan of this, mind you. (No one else in my area appears to be scanning portals, so there are a whole slew of portals for which VSCP is and will be meaningless to me…)

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, just to clarify my earlier post. I was and still am the scout controller on that portal with a single point. So I should have earned two additional points, unfortunately none of the numbers went up.

• The text linked clearly indicates that you won't get the 2 extra points until you lose Scout Controller (by someone else taking it) and then scan into the lead again.

So no, you shouldn't get those points yet, as implemented.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, thank you. Well that sucks even more if you've already scanned every portal in 10km of your home lol

• Does anybody know what phones are compatible with scanning portals? Wife and I would love to do scout controller but our phones are not compatible. Thank you

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Not help mutch. Better @NianticBrian view how it looks in prime from all portal scanning agents do. I think more agents like to do portal scanning when they see how it looks on 3D maps. Niantic must have lots of data now and can start beta for some locations on new 3D map and how Niantic work with the data from portal scanning.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Thank you, you have shown them you can complain about something without losing your temper. More comments like this, please.

In this page you can see how scanning works, in "here" hypertext there is a list of devices which support portal scanning https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/ingress/?s=portal-network&f=portal-scanning&p=web

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

You must view all agents how it looks with 3D information or 3D map. If loots of agents like it they do lots of portal scanning. If we can get items please make it in steps. Scanning 500 or 1000 times agents earn 1 fracker for free. 1500 times we earn free CMU and APEX. Common items not help mutch when we can hack powercubes and more.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any criteria on those first selected volatile? It seems kinda random.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you divulge what the scanning data is actually being used for? Dangling the badge point/carrot-and-stick in front of my face was enough to get me to unlock the bronze badges, and I couldn't find any cares left to give for it, after that. Some concrete way that it's going to improve Ingress would be helpful in determining if I want to stop for that long at each portal and look like even more of a weirdo with my phone.

• ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭

It seems to be randomly chosen one portal in every Z14 cell. That portal must also be visible in Pokemon.

• vigvyrexvigvyrex ✭✭
    edited December 2020

This is what will scare away the spoofers and cheaters for sure. Good work @NianticBrian on developing yet another useless feature nobody wants and has nothing to do with ingress gameplay in general 😆

This is what you get with niantic support thats actually egocentric alcoholic Guinea pigs condoning cheating and harassment.

Press F in comments to pay respect to Ingress slowly turning into a zombie.

Thanks for editing my post, That's real freedom of speech @NianticKK 😂

Post edited by vigvyrex on
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm. I know that pokemon players are making vows and sharing chain to NOT scans the pokestop/gym because they are afraid the wayspots got removed.

In pokemon go theres is field researchs that are scanning the gyms, with rewards for the players. I think this would be a good way (if tasks/research be implemented in ingress someday).

• Yeah and @NianticBrian we all seen how well reporting inaccessible portal has worked for the past 8 years.... NOT!!!

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is overkill!

It wouldn't be so bad if these were only part of a very short-term event (like one or two days max). But to keep it this way for the foreseeable future, we need to be able to turn it off in intel as it's way too distracting and blinding lol