Missions freezing Ingress and phone since 2.60.2 on Android

Since 2.60.2 version playing missions is nearly impossible. The scanner slows down after some minutes and seems to do some endless loops in the background. it is so massive, that the system buttons for toggling apps, going to the home screen and go back are nearly blocked (it needs up to 20 seconds for a reaction).

It's the same result on Samsung S10, Sony XPeria 1 and Sony XZ Premium.

Rebooting the device, clearing the cache and even clearing all app data didn't change the behavior. it's simply caused by having running missions open. After some minutes without doing anything else than walking the scanner is running slow and lags.

Playing missions is now restarting Ingress after 3 or 4 mission hacks.

Tagged:
11 votes

Resolved · Last Updated

This issue should be resolved in 2.61.3.

Comments

• Bug is reproducable with starting any mission, doing the tasks of the mission and after some walking and having the scanner open, freezing starts.

• twoseventhreetwoseventhree ✭✭
    edited December 2020

just to add into this, here is some data. i think whats happening, is that the scanner is trying to pull the image from the web, cannot, and just repeats trying until the memory / cache fills and eventually grinds to a halt and freezes the phone.

The following is the most stable i can get it, reboot phone, at home, on wifi, nothing else loaded, idling and everything running normally

[FMOD] Please add an 'FMOD Studio Listener' component to your a camera in the scene for correct 3D positioning of sounds.

Parent of RectTransform is being set with parent property. Consider using the SetParent method instead, with the worldPositionStays argument set to false. This will retain local orientation and scale rather than world orientation and scale, which can prevent common UI scaling issues.

Parent of RectTransform is being set with parent property. Consider using the SetParent method instead, with the worldPositionStays argument set to false. This will retain local orientation and scale rather than world orientation and scale, which can prevent common UI scaling issues.

Parent of RectTransform is being set with parent property. Consider using the SetParent method instead, with the worldPositionStays argument set to false. This will retain local orientation and scale rather than world orientation and scale, which can prevent common UI scaling issues.[/quote]

and just repeats.

The following is as soon as you start any mission, same scenario, at home, wifi etc.

[FMOD] Please add an 'FMOD Studio Listener' component to your a camera in the scene for correct 3D positioning of sounds.

[repeated]

Plugin Error - RPC-298 NoRetriesError

SettingService received no response

[repeated]

portal image error < Cancelled > for poi id < ea0a7ae57e574563ac50c47183a16198.16 >

portal image error < Cancelled > for poi id < ea0a7ae57e574563ac50c47183a16198.16 >

[repeated]

on screen the image for the first checkpoint is showing the 3 dot image when it cant load the image

edit for formatting.

• Pr0grammansagePr0grammansage ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Last weekend I did a small mosaic, got freezes and I had to restart my phone three times. I thought some in my latest phones update (Xiaomi Mi Note 10) went wrong and I did a hard reset. That was useless work.

I had to restart my phone more than ten times doing a 54 missions long mosaic today.

• so my phone seems to be a little more forgiving maybe? but say i'm doing the least amount of phone effort whilst on a mission, the screen will be jerky, and the GPS will update about 80% like normal, and ill have music playing.

the music will stop, the scanner will get real slow, and then unresponsive, then 10 secs later ill be able to click back to my home screen, start the music again and then going back to ingress will force a reload and then it'll be back to how it was to start.

also, if you get a jist of the route you are taking and which portals to get, then turn off the guidance whilst the mission is running. its still jerky, but it crashes a LOT less, i started a 36 part mission, and ive been covering it for the past couple of days, and i wasn't going to stop, so had myself prepared for relentless crashes, but i have to maybe run this cycle 2/3 times for the day.

YMMV

• Confirmed. Xiaomi Pocophone F1

• Having the same issue on a Google Pixel 4 phone.

Did a small 9 part mission, and by the 3rd portal the phone was frozen. 2 restarts to finish the missions. Turing off guidance helps, but once I am in range of a target portal it brings up the info window for that portal, and everything freezes.

• Same on Google Pixel 3a.

• Was this issue fixed on 2.61.3?