What to do with portals that you cant walk to ?

So what can you do with a portal you have to swim to ?

According to the portal rules, there should be a safe way to walk to the portal.

Im not talking about portals that you can use public transport to get to, but small automatet lightbeacons and and islands that you will have to use a privat boat to get too.

Tagged:

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It's safe if you go by boat.

What's the difference from a portal on an island and one on another continent?

Both seems not accessible by foot.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

AnnoyingLy the answer is buy or get a boat, I dont agree but its niantics rules

• Could POIs on small islands be considered as "abuisive nominations" under the new criteria?

• I don’t think Niantic will start manually going through all the portals and removing the hard to reach ones. They just let lvl16 boat owners and hickers destroy the game by letting them block others from playing. Based on Catan’s discussions, employees have already begun to move to other games.

• When i first played Ingress, years ago, portals were churches, statues, libraries ... easy places and big fields lasted only a few days. There were players everywhere and the game felt like a game.

Now the battles have been taken to places that hardly anyone can get to and the big fields have been covering the cities for months.

Such a game does not need a large number of employees, nor new features when just about anyone can play it. Just someone who watch that the server is on.

• So you like hard to get portals, but why is it so important to prevent others from playing easy ones so long?

If the fields built in these amazing places only lasted for few days then would you have visited them? If not, then why not?

If you make a field covering the whole city with all the portals in difficult places, how long will you charge them? months? You prevent others from playing, but what do you get?

• The point is to make MU for the cycle score and to make the opposing agents move. It just seems a strange design choice that the AP and MU games block each other.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

My own experience is that years ago, when there were many more active players, large fields required more effort to create because we had to content with more blocking links being created as people played normally, and they lasted for less time because the other faction had a larger group of Agents from which to find someone who could go destroy at least one corner of the field. Playing for the cycle score took real effort and coordination.

With fewer active players, there are fewer blocks to contend with, and once you find a cycle-winning field that the other faction can't reliably muster the resources to take down… well, that's that.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its One thing to climb a mountain, thsts down to physical conditioning and the agent could eventually get git enough to climb, but islands that require people spending money to buy a boat to get to is not the sane, thats down to level of richness, why should a team be punished because they can't afford a boat? Or, more realistically, dont want to spend their hard earned money buying a boat just for a game

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Ingress is the most expensive free to play game... some portals just u must ask yourself is this worth it?

• Naah, it is not expensive or difficult to buy a service on ebay that destroys the field that prevents you from playing.

The sad thing is that this money isn’t likely to end up with the makers of the game, but the money spent on buying a boat doesn’t end up for them either.

• Will driving from Bergen to Berlin on a 50 cc scooter to meet up with NL-1331 count?

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

My opinion is simple.If there aren't regular ferry that island poi isn't good and should go away.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yes but then people will say what about those with private boats etc that can easy drive there and reach it?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Living in an area with a ton of islands, some of them entirely state parks, your opinion just doesn’t add up to me. And I don’t even have a boat, though, I have used them in the past. I do understand your frustration though

• Close to where I live, there is a lake and in the middle of the lake there is a private floating sauna that's a portal since a few years back.

The only way for me to reach that portal, is to book and pay the owner of the sauna to use it for a night. In the cost is also included that the owner picks you up and drops you of at the sauna.

I don't own my own boat, so, seems unfair. However, not something that can't be achived, right? If I wanted to, I could pay for a night at the sauna too.

So yes, some portals might be hard to reach, but not impossible.

/L