[Request] Add "send drone to the nearest portal" option for deploying

Due to different reasons (like working in isolated places (such at sea, desert, military compounds, etc.) or the lockdowns and restrictions that are taking place again in different parts of the world), many agents are unable to go out and play, not even for the daily hack, or to redeploy the drone if it is force recalled.

Now that we have the drone as an alternative to do something, keep the sojourner and get a little bit of gear, I propose that the deploy (just the deploy, so it doesn't count km for the flying distance stat) could also be done automatically by adding the option send the drone to the nearest portal if the agent doesn't have any portal in sight.

That way, they could drone-hack the nearest portal, and keep moving the drone if there are more portals in drone view, or they could recall the drone and redeploy it again to the nearest portal after the cooldown.

Tagged:

Comments

• AtunatunakAtunatunak ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Yup, I would also extend the idea with an isolated/rural situation in mind or for a future drone event, maybe for a future MKII model. Be aware that this hasn't been fully thought, so more ideas to develop it would be welcome.

Thinking about lost places where the drone view from the nearest portal doesn't show any option to make the first jump, the drone could have an automatic random deploy option, so that it isn't automatically deployed in the same nearest portal (or not 100 % of the time).

Perhaps it could skip the nearest one if the drone was already deployed there in the last X hours; after X hours, that portal goes back to the pool of automatic random deploying options. Without the time limit, the agent could be deploying and recalling the drone all the time to eliminate from the pool one by one the surrounding portals, until being able to land somewhere where it could then jump manually, so I'm not sure about it, the limit could be de/activated according to the situation or in certain drone events so that everyone is able to participate.

Maybe this deploying could be coded for drone events to make the drone land in the nearest place with more than X portals in the cell, so the agent doesn't have to deploy/recall until he manages to eliminate dead end options from the pool.

I discard a radius limit where the deploying portal would be any random one in a radius of X km. Because in some parts of the world there are vast areas without portals or with only a few ones, so it would mean having the drone stuck either way.

I'm sure there are more possibilities and maybe ways to exploit it. But it would be a good start for people in rural or isolated areas, they could have the chance to have their drone deployed in a place where it could keep jumping and they could increase the uniques and km stats and could be more involved in future drone events created for safety reasons during the pandemic.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

When you have no portal around in your field of view, the game already you show 2 nearest. Those two could be th options for first jump.

But I think only if that is under the 1,25km, like if you have the key for it.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is excellent idea why didnt i think of it.

• Kevinsky86Kevinsky86 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

This is a great idea but I wonder if that won't cause players to deploy their drones in a remote area to begin with kind of taking this mini-game out of the cities.

I imagine it's quite easy to score km's this way for example if you can just sit in some random remote area and immediately make it travel multiple km's to the nearest portal. And how would you handle two portals beeing eachother's closest. You'd still go exactly nowhere.

Edit: I glossed over the fact you don't want it to count for km's.

• Having the option to jump to either of the two nearest portals for which you have the keys would be super useful.

Would definitely make a killer drone Mk 2 feature.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

would be kinda sad if the drone would hop to nearest and it turns out its a neutral portal :D