Existing photo when submiting portal in Prime.

Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General

With new update to Prime we can now choose existing photo from phone instead of making new. It has its pluses and minuses. It can help with quality photos, but will generate submisions with stolen ones. What do you think? What other adventages (or not) you see?

Comments

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Recently we discussed about the fake camera apps in our local community, and we convinced new players to not use them. I dont understand why Niantic has added this option.

My only hope is that this new feature will help OPR users to ban fake accounts.

• SenmanaSenmana ✭✭✭

It may get used by people who see a fantastic POI but have no subs available at that moment. And perhaps will be unable to revisit for a while (although the fact you can only choose a location nearby makes that unlikely).

I just can't see how this won't create more problems than it solves. I already reverse image search a lot of photos on OPR (a surprising number are stolen off the net) and now people can do this without a fake camera app? Fabulous.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake Camera/etc apps can always be used, regardless of what Niantic does to the game, or wants. If more people use the Existing Photo option, they can potentially log that information with the submission.

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if exif for this photo will load into the game too, and info about location with it.

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

True, but we could reject previously as abuse if we were confident FakeCamera had been used.

Now we can't identify them as easily.

@LemoMcLemonFace That doesn't make sense to me. Both are doing the exact same thing (loading a previously captured image from your local file system) and sending it to Niantic. If you could somehow tell it was a 'Fake Camera' image, you should be able to tell if it was done via Prime.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

Honestly I should have used this option today. It took me over 10 minutes to submit a nomination today in an area where I had "good signal". I could have used WiFi and had by far a better experience. I'm thinking using Redacted would be the better option regardless. At least until they do away with it.

• Nice but not that useful for low reception as there is no ability to save the nomination and upload later with better reception. A 2.5km distance is useless in areas where the nearest mobile reception is 60kms by car.

For short distances yes this is useful.

Previously people using fake camera were using the same identical image for both the sub and supporting, so identifying those was easy.

Now that it can legitimately use the same image, that can't be used as a suggested fake camera user.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably better that players have difficulty submitting portals in a low signal area. How are players supposed to use the portal?

If a player has signal kit, like a wifi repeater, then fair enough: they are capable of using the portal, so they can submit the portal as well.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about a low signal area. I'm submitting in a town where I have 3 to 4 bars of service and -95 dB LTE. There should be absolutely no issues there. It should be quick but it isn't.

Okay. Something I haven't seen in ~11k reviews, but I guess I can see that happening. Sounds like an assumption, to me, though.

• Low and no signal areas are valid and strategic play @Pangarban . But using a satellite phone to submit 2 images and a pile of text is horrendously expensive.

Capping a linking a portal via sat phone is at $10 per MB of data. A portal nomination would be in excess of $100. They are valid portals. We just want to be able to submit them with having to take out a bank loan.

It had been seen by numerous agents in a UK Xfac opr tg chat.

Down to grass being identical etc.

• I've just updated to Prime from Redacted and given this a try.

The announced 25km range doesn't seem to work or was a typo, if I move the location marker more than about 2km it snaps back.

When uploading a previous picture it has only constantly timed out despite trying 20-40 times on wifi and 4g. I tried sizing the photo down but then Ingress rejected it as not taken from a camera. It's possible that I could edit the exif data to match one taken from the camera, but I'm unsure if that could risk a ban.

• I keep seeing the range is now 25k but mine just pings back to current location after a couple of K. Dont suppose anyone knows why? (I dont even have anything to sub ATM just curious)

• Update on my comment 2 posts up - files need to be jpg and not png, which is why it wouldn't accept my resized photos. Nothing to do with exif data. Not sure yet if that will allow me to upload before the time-out in Prime with resized photos.