Server is laggy again

2»

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Nitantic Ingress team will likely have a meeting Monday morning to triage what went so catastrophically wrong.

It is great that players are organising themselves to create massive link stars. Though it should never prevent other players in the world from playing.

This is like the 3rd link star in the last few weeks, and each time with the new low cost server, game has been unplayable for anyone else.

Reminds me of that time during the Christchurch Shonin anomaly, with the high cost servers, before Prime, and both factions had to do the Anomaly without intel, because Japanese players overwhelmed the server. Japan was also doing the Shonin Anomaly at the same time as Christchurch.

We need some word of what is going on!

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

But question is was niantic aware that there was gonna be a linkstar attempt during weekend in Japan since it seems nobody from niantic even wrote something that they are aware of server network issues? it seems not..

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

It's weekend and I think they were chilling without having a clue that something is wrong/performs slowly. Probably they would know and write something if they played the game or read the forum :trollface:

• Thank you for the info, effort to fix potential future issues, and all the time you put into stuff.

• StratagmStratagm ✭✭
    edited October 2020

Make sure it's option 3, it's a complete no-brainer. Being able to automatically scale down could greatly reduce costs (profit/sustainability here), and scaling up avoids outages and increases player engagement. 🙂

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@ofer2 Much appreciation to let us know what happened.

• While auto-scaling should probably be the preferred solution (so you can sleep), I'd get that Ingress doesn't always have the budget for that.

Alternatively, or in the meantime, would having Vanguards or some other contact method be able to advise the Niantic team when a high stress period is likely? Being surprised by what we do is great, but being surprised by what we do to the server is probably non-optimal.

• I also, like the others want to thank you for your reply, I hope a solution is implemented soon.

• vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Do appreciate the frankness, but auto-scaling and optimization/load-hardening are just good practices that should be done no matter what. While it may not be "fun" but since breaking the game isn't fun anyway, perhaps there should be (soft) caps on things that are essentially DoS. If the game currently can't handle it, agents shouldn't be able to either.

What is the argument in favor of allowing unlimited inbound links if you know it will disrupt gameplay for agents globally?

• Set a limit of max links to a portal, say 1000; but invent a new mod to enlarge the limit for 1 hour, to be sold on store for $xx.xx;

When ever that mod is deploy, scale up the cloud resources.

• EthernEthern ✭✭✭

@ofer2 Given that the cloud resources and budget are limited for Ingress and the surprising nature of agent operations, will you consider building a dynamic auto-scaling system instead of doing scaling manually everytime? Isn't it the industry standard to let machine decide when and for how much the target scale should be? If the budget is limited, I believe you can just lower the scale ceiling.

• Thank you very much @ofer2 and staffs!!

I am glad to hear the enthusiasm of the staff that they quickly decided that they would also focus on load balancing in a limited budget.

We're not going to do the operation because we want you and other engineers to wake up in the midnight(^^;

In an unrivalled global game, it is very sad to see the limits of resources such as systems. However, instead of clearing it by volume, I hope that you will be able to get through it with your ingenuity.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably something you've already thought of @ofer2 , but would it be possible to code a linkstar early warning system triggered by a set of criteria like: Over 8400 keys exist for a portal AND that portal has over 500 inbound links AND over 100 links have been added in the last 10 minutes?

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Two times per today evening,right now and two hours before. Last time lafs were 10-15 minutes. What's going on?:)

• So game is down again ;(

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the explanation! What a breath of fresh air.