The lack of plot-based interactivity is an important flaw in Niantiс.

GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

We did many things for niantic. We attracted new players, instead of them coming from google play. We explained the plot to them instead of the plot unfolding itself in the scanner, and was available to beginners in the form of chronology or interactive dialogues, and so on. Note, if a person is not explained that the game has a plot, then he will continue to think that the game is about triangles. And in the client itself, it is not explained to him what kind of piece of paper he got in the media section, or what kind of two heads it is to fight for power at the beginning of the game. Now imagine that some agent from Botswana or some remote Caribbean island downloaded the game? who will explain the plot or the rules of the game to him? Nobody. Even training the agent will not give him any clues about where to look for the plot or his comrades.

The old players who lacked the action left and in place with them the influx of new players, who clearly understand what was happening here, ended. Let me give you an example with a nemesis event. In my city, only a few people grasped what was happening and this happened only due to the fact that one of the players was present at the forum and regularly explained the retelling of the plot and what kind of vile muzzles appear on the medals. There was nothing new about the scanner. no intercepted dialogues, no plot interactions. People could not be interested in the course of the battle, many agents from small towns simply did not know about the upcoming battles or plot twists, there was nothing in the scanner, and no one from the real world told them.

So isn't it time to take the story deeper into the game? To make it more interactive, more, I would say, affecting the immediate gameplay, more informative, more understandable for simple players. Can the scanner periodically receive classified transmissions from niantic? But not only in the form of a piece of media, but also in the form of various dialogues in the comm, messages from ADA and jarvis, receiving valuable data packets from portals that would be really important for the faction, and which, for example, would have to be collected in one place (like shards) to get a complete picture of the surrounding world ...

Comments

• Yes indeed, I thought the game was about AP, badges, stats, regional scores, farms, ops, hcfs and anomalies.

Where can I learn about the plot?

• Every time ENL has been successful, we've been punished or ignored for it.

I'm not sure we want get more results from our efforts, the punishments could be far worse.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see a bit more about the plot. Maybe a “Story So Far” catch up for new players too? Maybe votes on what happens next like Pokémon GO players get to decide for their community days too? Whether that’s by which faction wins a challenge or a simple poll on the forums to boost activity here, either would be great.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

hPWU have a pretty good way to tell the history with conversations and mission with npcs.

Even pokemon have that professor giving missions.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there!

There's a section in the forum where PAC uploads manuscripts, decodification channels are available on each faction. Yes, not many people is really interested in the story because it's thick and right now the plot is trying to launch again after the downfall of the Exos.

There's even a telegram chat called Essex, so you can read the tease that PAC uploaded today, he will write a post with the other half when he's ready. I'm betting you'll like it.

I agree with you, the lore should have more impact in game, I totally agree with you and I believe we are coming this way.

Biggest problem is that the more isn't provided inside the game, but we have to be looking for it...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

most lore should be inside the game, not outside thats where the problem is.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

I disagree, do you know why @Perringaiden says this?

Because we won an anomaly, disconnected ADA and everyone only could hack JARVIS virus. The story has an impact in the game, do not underestimate it.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Neku69 The storyline throws the occasional monkeywrench into the mix but those things always come from special events rather than day-to-day gameplay. Except when those monkeywrenches happen the storyline has zero connection to me building my neighborhood, smashing up a neighboring area, or throwing a field. And for the most part the storyline outcomes are controlled by a small subset of players-- the people who travel to anomalies or specialize in puzzle pieces. (I have a couple dozen anomalies under my belt so I'm one of them.)

The person who plays locally and goes to the occasional build is rarely part of creating a storyline change-- they just have it thrown at them from left field.

I kind of feel like the storyline is a crazy divorced parent who is nowhere to be found until they randomly drop in and your attention for a couple of weeks, but then they get bored and run off to Reno for a six-month craps binge.

• The success of anomalies has only ever had very limited involvement in the story and gameplay. My point is that when it does, it hasn't been something we enjoyed, as ENL.

I'd prefer that the story be taken completely separately, or that the game can dictate the story, but the story never affects the game. Because it's never a good thing for us.

It's been 2 years since the anime and no dark portals yet...

They just kinda teased dark xm, but we also got blue and rainbow, so that's not really much...

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Enl won both ground Anomalies for Nemesis series? Well, here's their nothing cause Res won one Tessellation. I still don't know what we were fighting for during those anomalies if they happened to mean nothing :/

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
  • d0gboyd0gboy ✭✭✭

I think part of the original premise was having in-game events influence the metafiction. I thought this was actually a pretty great idea in principle. It's just that this never seemed to behave in a sort of rational, cause-and-effect-way. Wins should, well, not punish.

It was also evident there was a shift from in-game results determining story to being "here is a story and performance in-game is retconned to make the story happen". In RPGs, the term for this is a "railroad DM" (A good example: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5xgzp5/how_to_handle_a_railroading_dm/).

Regardless of one's opinion of the lore thoughgh ("It's great! v "it's terrible!"), the most compelling story was we ended up telling was the one where we shaped the game board, our community, and competitive events. It's why I thought the old school Ingress report was way more interesting than any modern incarnation of the story -- agents seem to like the feeling of seeing their "name in lights" for doing things, rather than someone telling a story that was sort of loosely in the Ingress universe.

Even the best version of that storytelling doesn't compare to the adventures you have in the game, which is a tribute to Ingress' emotional power.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop winning em then !

lol. Some Res have won we would have preferred the outcome be different. Niantic winning rewards are usually two edged swords...

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

You could see the current lore discussion on ingress for further details. The res is following what the res from N-node did: darsana combine