If you could make your own in-game items, what would they be?

SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I've always contemplated on what things could make ingress more interesting, perhaps new items to add another element of game play.

Nothing too overpowered, though, obviously. So, what would you make? Here's one of my ideas:

XMP "Bomb":

Pros: Deals damage equivalent to 50 X8s set off at once, 75% chance to knock off common shields, 50% chance to knock off rare shields, 25% chance to knock off very rare shields, and a 5% chance to knock off extremely rare shields. Opposing players in the vicinity have a chance of their XMP pool being depleted depending on range of detonation.

Cons: The weapon as a 15-second timer upon dropping on the ground. The opposing team has a chance to "neutralize" the XMP Bomb by firing off bursters or attempting to ultra strike it. COMM generates an alert to all players within the blast radius.

Comments

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Problem with new items is always going to be balance.

*LANDMINES?

I like the idea of being able to lay landmines but that could potentially be a ridiculous hurdle for new players to overcome.

*SPONSORED/PREMIERE MULTI-HACK

I like the top-tier items like AXA Shields and SoftBank link amps... They sit on top of their item class... I think it would be nice to have a multi hack version... Something slightly above the very rare multihack... but it causes the portal to decay 95% everyday. I think this would go hand-in-hand for people who don't have a lot of portals... on the one hand you can hack it a lot and since you have a desert of portals that's a way to make up for it and on the other hand the portal will be nearly gray by tomorrow so you then can capture it again...which is the problem when you are out in the wilderness by yourself and no one is taking your stuff. And while that seems like nothing but a win it's not a total win for everybody if someone is trying to get a lot of hacks out of the portal they are going to have to heavily recharge that thing every day.

*VERY RARE ATTACK MODS

I think it's time to bring about the very rare attack mods. We have never seen them. Just about everything else comes in very rare variants... It would be nice to have more effective offensive mods... I think they should affect higher-level players more than they affect lower-level players

*UNTETHERED BEACONS (store item)

I think it would be great to be able to place beacons on places other than portals because sometimes a portal is not in a place that you need to mark...

*CUSTOM MEDIA AND BEACONS

I think that this is something that should have a considerable upfront cost to cover the cost of a person to review the submissions and make sure they are appropriate...and after they are accepted any future purchases of and accepted design is some acceptable amount... Like $5 a piece or something. You want to make money Niantic? Let me make faction community custom beacons... I'll pay The upfront cost and then I'll buy a hundred of them at $5 a pop. and while we're at it I think media would be kind of fun too. it wouldn't really be the hardest thing to do a lot of people like to make YouTube videos. you can leverage that format to make it somewhat painless but still would have to be reviewed by a person in Niantic.

*AP BUFF (store item)

1.5x AP - I wouldn't want to delegitimize the double AP events that happened from time to time... So less than double AP. But this is something that I think Niantic could make money off of and it wouldn't really ruin things because it would still be based on badges to get past the higher levels. People who recurse would use this to get to level eight.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of a VR Turret, like the fusion of a Force Amp and a Turret in the same mod. There was something called a Lawson Super Fracker I saw, but can't remember the details on it.

• I would love a Bomb of some sorts that neutralizes ALL portals ( regardless of faction ) in a certain range. The only 'downside' would be moderating it so it wouldn't become overpowering. I would consider it more like an ADA or Jarvis, where you don't get any AP. But for people who are dominated by one faction in their area it would be nice to be able to play again and not always have to wait until decay has neutralized portals.

Some mods that make a portal decay faster and maybe something to 'upgrade' mods or mod slots. Sometimes you have people going through your area dumping mods and it might not be the best mods you had in mind and not leaving a slot/slots for you to put your mods in.

A shield of some sorts that works a bit like a lawson power cube. When you are attacking in a portal dense area you might lose a lot of XM. This shield would protect you from that to a certain level of XM. Cause sometimes you fire 10 XMP's, but in the end you've only fired 5.. the other 5 didn't go through because you didn't have enough XM because of the delay/lag.

A 3rd faction, only accessible after recursing.

A 'difficult' mode after you've recursed. ( could go hand in hand with the 3rd faction ) The hard mode would have your AP earned halved until you hit lvl 16.

A special item that let's you link to another faction's portal and while linking to it, it reverses the portal to your faction. It will NOT let you cross inks regardless of factions. Seems handy for when you are trying to make a large field, but someone took out your anchor right before you were able to link to it. This can be quite annoying if you have driven over hundreds of kilometers during an entire night and save a lot of frustration, let alone, save you another 40kms trip.

• Oh, and item lockers similar to key lockers. Premium items where you can store for instance XMP's that don't count towards your inventory but you can't use them immediatly.

Subcategories could be: Weapons, Mods, VR items on top of they 5 key lockers already existing.

A 'recursed' locker for keys would be great as wel. It would be an incentive to recurse, or at least give a bonus other than the badge. The key locker could be only 50 key for 1 recurse, 100 keys for 2 recurses, 150 for 5 recurses, ... A bit similar as to how the XM bar grows per level, the key locker grows with every recurse/few recurses.

• Oh.. and maybe some sort of ito-k, to increase key output of a portal. Works somewhat like an ingame fracker. The downside could be that you are locked out of that portal for a day or a few days. So you can't just spam portals with them, but you have to think strategically/long term.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Landmines and granades to trow in inaccessibles portals.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Amp Turret: VR, combo of Force Amp and Turret.

Charge Amp: VR, Halves decay , increases duration of Frackers and Beacons.

CM Locker: 1, Hold up to 100 Chaotic Matter items without counting them toward your inventory.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Just tough about something similar to granades, actually better: laserbeam.

A XM Laser that tracks my facing position and shoots a beam in that direction. Could be VR and only lv8 and less effective than US8 to prevent abuse. Range a bit larger than xmp8, but only hit straight narrow line.

• Special capsule you can use to stash items inside portals. You lock the capsule with a glyph password and you get it back with the same glyph password.

When glyph hacking, you can input a glyph at the beginning to go into stash mode. If you get the correct glyph sequence, you get the capsule back, even if its not yours. If several capsules have the same glyph sequence, you get them all. If you input the wrong sequence, nothing happens so you don't know if there is a stashed capsule there.

Other players can poach those capsule too by brute forcing glyphs. Those capsules could disapear after a certain time.

So you could stash more items at the risk of other players stealing them.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

i had always thought in the beginning you would be able to send items through a link from post office to post office if you could establish the link.

when capsules first came out i really thought this might be in the pipe...that was a long time ago.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

i also thought when capsules first came out we might see one that if you filled it with 100 of an item it would auto-recycle and award you 10 of the next level up of that item.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

XM Pump: CM item, deploys like a Fracker. XM around a portal is continually refilled for a 10 minute period. Portal decays by half at the end.

• MadReliqueMadRelique ✭✭✭

I would like an agent avatar on the profile page that you could customize a la Pokemon go. If you could type up a short profile and you could order an official dossier card based on it it would be a win all around.

• Generator Mod

Consumes two mod slots on a portal. The portal decay rate increases slightly. It consumes the XM that normally appears on the ground around a portal to only creates Power Cubes at the portal’s level.

Good in areas where you can pick up a lot of XM on the ground to keep it going.

• Item level boosting mod. This nod raises the level of items hacked by one level (as if the portal was one level higher) while keeping the rest the same.

Pros : Helps players in low density regions.

Cons : Takes a mod space that could be used for multi hack or heat sink.

• BarthaxBarthax ✭✭✭

Recharge capsule. Stuff keys in it and it skims off any XM from the top 10% of your XM bar and distributes it to the portals within. Limited to 1 per agent but otherwise acts as a standard key locker.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

An ITO mod for Power Cubes. We have attack and defence oriented ITO's already, an ITO that transmutes all hacked items into power cubes would be amazing.

I've seen it suggested in a Reddit thread before and I'm going to steal somebody's suggestion for the name because it was absolutely brilliant. It should be called the ITO³, as in ITO Cubed and it would be the third ITO!

• Jarvis and ADA defense weapons, weather timed immunity or a risk of them failing. either way would be nice to be able to hold a line.

• I think about this often.

I would like:

XMB Bombs; as @Sonicgott mentioned. Except the timer should be 1 hour. It takes me 30 minutes to drive to the play area of my nearest other Ingress Player. I have player friends that have to drive upwards of 4 hours to the next player. 15 seconds is way to little time to defend against a bomb outside of major urban centres and heavy play areas. a common Bomb could have a 200m range, rare bomb 300m range, and vr bomb have a 500m range, their defenses should be the same as a portal with 4 shields of the same strength as the bomb type.

Game play balance would be there with the long defuse time available, it would also add gameplay balance to hitting portals in less public areas that are hard to reach. taking down that Baf that is anchored inside a Mall and connected to during closing time for example.

Neutralizer: Theses are mods you put on OPPOSING faction portals. Think of anomaly battles where people are throwing shields on portals as fast as they are being knocked off. there would be an entirely new battle element if you could throw mods to block shields, and also increase decay rates of the portal while they are on. You go to a Portal and are actively fighting and trying to take it down, but the opposing team is winning the recharge game, You've smashed off all the mods, so when you give up, you put a neutralizer mod on the portal, now they have to recharge more often to keep the portal up. TL,DR. Mod increases decay rate of portal, takes up a mod slot, installed on opposing factons portals

Upgrade Capsules; These Capsules take X of an item and upgrade it to the next level up item, I'd like to see the mechanics from Pogo and HPWU eggs / port keys used for these. Walk X amount of KM to activate it. Larger KM capsules can hold more stuff, like a 2km capsule holds 8 items, where a 10km capsule holds 64 items. Each Capsule takes up a single equipment slot like a key capsule, but also has a 5min cool down time to empty it, so that you can't stock pile full ones and call on immediate inventory from the capsule.

Very Common items: 2:1 return ratio. put 2 lvl7 in 1 lvl 8 out

Common items: 4:1 ratio put 4 common sheilds in get 1 Rare shield out

Rare items 8:1 ratio put 8 rare items in get 1 vr item out

KeepSake Locker: This is purchasable from the store. You can store 1000 keys in it, once a key goes in, it can never come out. takes up 1 invenotry space. This is for Key collectors, and people who want to remember portals they visited. a key in a KeepSake Locker will remain even if a portal is deleted from the map, I'd be happy if the keys didn't call to the server to see their status unless clicked on to keep them less of a burden and less data consumed on the device.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

L9-16 bursters and resonators

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

lol that would just break the entire game balance...

• GargishGargish ✭✭✭

Devra Neutralizer: Instead of flipping a portal, neutralize it. Affects and is affected by the flip timer in the same way as Jarvis and Ada.

• Losifer026Losifer026 ✭✭✭

I do love the idea of land mines, burn how about remote detonators? Like a massive turret blast that’s drains energy and can damage An enemy portal. That’s would make anomaly play much more complex. I’d also like to see in game items that you have to earn and power up like badges that increase/decrease damage or give you a special ability like being able to load extra 8s on a portal depending on the items lvl.

Maybe empty cubes that come with a weapon that drains an enemy’s portal until it dies while filling the cube. Make the cube able to carry a charge of roughly 4 Lawson’s. Vampire badge.

Sorry, keep thinking of things. An item that can pull resonators off an enemy portal. Would be good for rural players that don’t have big enough communities to flash farm. Ninja badge.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I'd like the ability to remove mods and replace them with others, or be able to upgrade to a higher rarity.