Spoofers destroy the game for legit players
Dear Niantic, @NianticBrian
TL;DR: Spoofers destroy the game for legit players which as consequence are leaving the game. Niantic MUST improve on detecting spoofers and ban them quicker.
Agents playing in Copenhagen, Denmark are unfortunately hit by many spoofers within the last month. New spoofer accounts are experienced nearly every day. The spoofers have improved their game. They surprisingly start out as "near-perfect" real life experienced players; they walk, deploy and link in perfect small fields, leveling up in portal-dense areas. They are also very good at glyphing. But no one, from any faction, has ever meet them IRL and when they reach level 8 they are used to further **** specific areas and players.
The suspected spoofer accounts are of course reported to Niantic. But if or when reaction/banning comes, the spoofers has already made their negative impact and just create new spoofer accounts.
It is destroying the fun out of the game for legit players. Niantic MUST improve on detecting spoofers and ban them quicker. Legit agents will stop playing and are considering to abandon the game.
PS: Some ideas: (I have no idea whether they are technically or practically possible):
- Ask suspected agent/account to take photos of portals. If they do not reasonably comply they will be flagged for further investigation.
- Ask suspected agent/account to take contact to a verified agent for confirmation as real agent.
- Connect account with device used so that if account is later banned, it can be detected whether new (potential spoofer) accounts are using same device, raising flags for further investigation.
- Make it impossible to use emulators (except for your own developers).
- Forbid or make it harder to use VPN connections.
- Use known/verified WiFi hotspot locations in spoofer detection algorithm. If device's GPS is one place, but available/"visible" WiFi hotspots are at another location, then account can be flagged for investigation.
- Measure GPS signal strength and use that in spoofer detection algorithm.