About Scout Controller

Hello everyone! I've opened this thread to discuss thenew changes about scanning portals. Where i live(brazil) it's extremely dangerous to stay in a front of a portal to expend 15 seconds to scan a single portal. I explain: some people play ingress inside cars, in a motorcycle or even by foot... when we expend 15 seconds in front of a portal , we're in danger two times: to be stolen or be questioned by local people

that for the most part do not know the mechanics of the game and as a result we may suffer hostility due to the high crime rate. I know that niantic needs reliable data to implement air in their games, but I ask that you study the mechanics of scans better in order to keep the gameplay safe and the quality of the material sent. my sugestion? a number between 7-10 minimum seconds per scan in my view would be sufficient. in recent research I realized that adherence to this new modality of ingress has been low, so I hope that niantic listens to one of the few scans enthusiasts. I recently won the silver medal but I seriously think it will be worth doing more scans in view of the work to improve this achievement

Comments

• Well, maybe Niantic does not need portal scans in an area where it is dangerous to spend more than 15 seconds. Supposedly, these scans are for a future augmented reality game. Would you really want to play such an immersive game that in a dangerous area?

I wish you a nice day. Stay safe.

• U will agree with me that don't exist a place 100% safe to play in the entire world... you could consider that following your line of reasoning, some people would have their game possibilities even more reduced and if niantic wants to get more players to do this job, it should look at all angles of the situation

• PerringaidenPerringaiden ✭✭✭✭✭

If attempting to do scans is dangerous, please, don't attempt to do scans.

It is not a required part of the game, so stay safe and don't perform dangerous acts just for a badge. If it's not worth the danger, it's not worth the danger.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

How can u even play the game if dangerous to scan, playing game is safe how u still use the phone interact at portals? dont feel forced to scan if not safe just dont do it.

• You have explained all that i've trying to say and i'm grateful that u've understood my point of view. Only people who've doind scans can comprehend what we're trying to say, and if niantic want more people doing this work, they should consider what we think, an ap reward or reducing minimum time scanning. I have a dream that someone at nia's staff could hear us.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing discreet about portal scanning. Today at my local mall I started scanning a "Feed a Fish, Make a Wish" aquarium kiosk. It's too big to walk around so I swipe my phone back and forth in front of it tilting it a different direction each time. People look at me like I'm crazy cause it takes 15 seconds to complete.

• I completely agree 15sec is totaly rediculous. My scans havnt been any more beneficial since update if anything they are worse as i havnt the time to hang around for that length of time ( young kids)

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah, I can forget about stopping at every portal a d doing a 15 second scan with my wife and kids with me. The amount of embarrassment I would put on them while acting silly....

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20

if aim high on this medal 15 seconds feels like forever and also doing many scans gives u zero ap in game or anything else....

• You mention some examples, where I doubt that a 3D scan brings any value to Niantic at all. Don't get me wrong, I also scanned many of them, and I agree that a few seconds are enough to justify upload some **** data for getting closer to a badge.