List of client-side issues in 2.55.1

RavariiRavarii ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in App Feedback (Archive)

Six months ago I published a list of issues in Ingress 2.41.4 that I encountered in day-to-day play. I am happy to report that the majority of them have been addressed and would like to thank the team for fixing them and then documenting those fixes in release notes. My one complaint about the process is that I had to reach out to a NIA employee directly to receive any indication at all that someone had taken notice and entered them into Jira. When people report issues I recommend acknowledging their reports in some way to make it clear that their posts have not fallen on deaf ears.

Below is a list of client-side issues I have encountered in 2.55.1, in no particular order.

• The activity log snaps back to the top periodically, making reading scrollback difficult.
  • The activity log begins with the oldest messages, necessitating tab-switching or a bunch of scrolling to read the most recent messages.
  • The XM ring thing wastes horizontal space to its left that could be put to use by extending the amount the miniature activity log on the top of the map can show.
  • Exiting a capsule while it is loading or unloading can cause unpredictable jumps in inventory position.
  • The dot on the "Hack" button that indicates the direction of the "Hack request key" button is not greyed out when the portal is out of range.
  • The portal detail screen's "Charge" button should be enabled even when a portal is out or range or fully charged so one can be ready to tap "Charge All" or "Boost Charge All" on a portal one is approaching or which is under attack. Tapping "Boost Charge All" is faster than swiping the "Charge" button, especially when done repetitively.
  • Selecting a single resonator on the charging screen, then opening and closing the power cube carousel causes the yellow highlight for that resonator's XM bar to disappear despite its selected state remaining.
  • Recharging a portal as much as one's XM storage allows, using a power cube, and recharging the portal again can cause "scanner offline" and "scanner online" voice messages as if one had dropped to 0 at some point in that process.
  • Voice messages should be deduplicated. For example, repeatedly tapping "Charge All" on a portal can queue up numerous "Resonator recharged" and "XM reserves" percentage voice messages that continue for as much as ten seconds after one stops recharging.
  • Voice messages should preempt any queued messages that they supersede. For example, a new "XM reserves" percentage message should replace any that are already queued, and a "Scanner online" message should cancel "Scanner offline" messages instead of enqueuing itself if the latter is still queued.
  • Glyph hacks that finish with less than one second remaining award no speed bonus or additional AP even if the sequence was correct.
  • Hack output messages prevent hack cooldown messages from appearing.
  • "Scanner disabled. Location inaccurate," modals should not prevent zooming and rotating the map. I know what zoom level I want even if my position is still settling.
  • The default agent profile icon reflects the viewer's faction, not the profile owner's.
  • "Uniques scout controlled" is awkward both for turning "scout controller" into a verb and for being the only place in the scanner and its documentation to use the term "uniques." While it is understandable to want to make this succinct, consider something clearer, such as "Became scout controller on unique portals," or introducing new terminology like "scout controller points." At the very least, replace "uniques" with "unique portals".
  • The tap-disambiguation popup occasionally dismisses itself immediately after it appears, especially while in motion.
  • Attempting a double-tap zoom where the second tap happens to land on a portal can result in the portal's tap-and-hold hack buttons appearing partway through the zoom gesture or the portal's detail screen appearing after releasing it.
  • Viewing a portal's detail screen using its key and then exiting all the way to the map leaves a hitbox in the center of the screen that responds to long presses as if one was long-pressing the portal.
  • Portal detail screens ellipsize owners' names after nine characters regardless of width. Please allow names to use more space in the screen's center and base shortening of text on its width.
  • Portal detail screens can truncate portal owners' names without displaying ellipses or another indication that this has occurred.
  • Portal detail screens can truncate recursed portal owners' names to as few as seven characters. The space directly under the portal's distance is unused; consider placing portal owners on their own lines.
  • The triangular spinners that vertical key lists use to indicate portals with unloaded statuses use thin lines that can be difficult to see in sunlight.
  • Horizontal key lists are the only places in the scanner that use both color and faction emblems to indicate portal alignment. Everywhere else uses only color, but could benefit from showing faction emblems as well.
  • Horizontal key lists indicate neutral portals with eight empty XM bars, whereas the vertical key list displays none at all.
  • Horizontal key lists do not distinguish neutral portals from portals with unloaded statuses. The ellipsis that appears in place of the photo indicates an unloaded photo, which can appear independently of the portal's status.

For the latter three, I recommend using a loading indicator and no XM bars for unloaded portals, empty XM bars for neutral portals, and colored XM bars and faction emblems for aligned portals.

Edited: formatting

Tagged:

Comments

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

My one complaint about the process is that I had to reach out to a NIA employee directly to receive any indication at all that someone had taken notice and entered them into Jira. When people report issues I recommend acknowledging their reports in some way to make it clear that their posts have not fallen on deaf ears.

I got sick of no indication given so I just bump all my issues which still exist every new patch. That is simpler than waiting for response from Niantic on these forums.

Supplementing the list with these:

There's also a ton of bugs on Dronenet screen, I'm too lazy to create a topic for all of them. Sometimes a drone appears out of nowhere when flying to another portal; it moves in a very unstable, jumpy way; it doesn't let me recharge when I have a key from current portal (says invalid drone action or something); it doesn't open portal key screen when tapping on key icon; etc...

• Recharging a portal as much as one's XM storage allows, using a power cube, and recharging the portal again can cause "scanner offline" and "scanner online" voice messages as if one had dropped to 0 at some point in that process.

This actually may be the queue delay. When you've recharged a portal as much as your XM storage allows, your energy should have dropped to a low enough point to trigger the out of XM warnings. When a scanner is out of energy, it goes offline until it is recharged by using a cube or collecting XM from the area.

Sometimes messages and screen updates are queued if you're going faster than the game can keep up with.

Additional one to add that's never been addressed:

• When deploying multiple resonators then closing the deploy screen quickly, you can go to another portal, open the deploy screen and hear "Resonator Deployed" even though you've done nothing. This can be with many minutes gap between the previous deploy.
  • This actually may be the queue delay. When you've recharged a portal as much as your XM storage allows, your energy should have dropped to a low enough point to trigger the out of XM warnings. When a scanner is out of energy, it goes offline until it is recharged by using a cube or collecting XM from the area.

Recharging doesn't allow one to drop to 0 XM.

• The scanner warnings appear before 0XM. As someone who recharges nightly by walking through ground XM, I see the scanner offline messages constantly, just like I did in Ingress classic since I started, back in 2013.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Also want to add: Prior to 2.54.1 I could upgrade resonators even if the portal didn't have all 8 slots filled. That way I could upgrade without showing on the player trackers. Now I cannot upgrade unless all 8 slots are filled. Is this intentional?

• @3car

Is this intentional?

If you could actually do that, yes it's a bug. You're required to fill all slots before being allowed to upgrade. This has been a limitation since the start of the game.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Then most possibly I was working around a bug introduced in Ingress prime, rather than the old ways. Thanks for the clarification.