Ingress 2.54.1 Release Notes
NianticOfficial Niantic › admin
- Portal Scanning will check Portal Scans for brightness (for example, is your finger over the lens?) and movement (are you standing still?) before starting the encoding and upload process.
- Please note that in an upcoming release (after 2.54.1), we're working to reduce Portal Scan encoding time; reduce Portal Scan file size; and reduce the Scout Controller Onyx tier to 12,000 Unique Portals.
- Agents Level 1-7 can post to COMM from the Ingress app, but we removed their ability to post new messages to COMM from the Intel Map in an effort to reduce the amount of COMM spam.
- Fixed: Softlock on Map Screen after attempting to pick up a dropped item that was outside of range.
- Fixed: 500 server error on Mission Authoring Tool when zooming in to some Portals.
- Fixed: Tutorial unexpectedly restarts, which locked Main Menu features until ending the New Agent Tutorial.
Thank you guys for reconsidering the Onxy Scout controller requirements. 12,000 are still hard and most probably won't reach it either, but it feels more reachable. Also excited about the reduce in encoding and file size, hope that that gets more scans in the system. Also also, thank you for trying to curb the spam problem!
EDIT: alrite I understand, I won't write any positive feedback anymore, seems people dislikes it
Agents Level 1-7 can post to COMM from the Ingress app, but we removed their ability to post new messages to COMM from the Intel Map in an effort to reduce the amount of COMM spam.
Thank you, exactly as I suggested
Onyx scans reduced to 12k is still pretty high
But is a lot better than before
Are you able to shed any more info about the Battle Beacon changes?
For example, requiring a hack on the BB portal by at least one person from both factions?
@NianticOfficial is that Unique portals scanned or unique scout controlled portals?
That still seems excessive considering that scouting only requires 6,000 scans which theoretically can be 5 second recordings of 1 portal and scouring controller can theoretically take hundreds of scans to achieve.
12 000 is still insane high number....
12000? Divide that number by 4 and you're closer to where it should be.
Seriously guys, think about this. Any other badge that is uniques vs non-uniques always has a lower value for the uniques version. Liberator vs Explorer vs Pioneer? 40000, 30000, 20000.
Hacker, meanwhile, because it requires no travel, is 200,000. Purifier is 300,000.
So why have you made the uniques version of Scout (Controller) 2x onyx Scout? You have it completely backwards.
RE Scanning. Thanks so much for listening to us about the requirements for Scout Controller. 12,000 is better than nothing,
We’re still not in the same ball park, an ideal Onyx would be closer to 4,000 / 5,000 than 10,000, as we also have to consider recursed agents who want to earn wings on their badges.
Thanks again for this step in the right direction, hopefully a more realistic number will show more scanning showing up in Niantic’s metrics.
wow! so much new in-game content. Interestingly, combat beacons will have time to enter before the end of 2023?
It's been a long time since ingress prime was released and not a single really major update. drones are unfinished and useless for many players, beacons with intrusion functions that have been talked about by so many bloggers after parsing apk are also not visible yet. I want to support you with money, but alas, there is nothing worth buying from you in the last year. and many players draw the same triangles day after day, as well as I got tired of.
Is this going to fix Comm so it shows the most recent activities instead of having to scroll for 3 minutes to get to the most recent, just to have it reset and go back to the oldest?
Am I the only who feels like both badges got their goals swapped? 6000 scout controller and 12000 regular scout feels more accurate and equally challenging.
I'm glad they reduced the 15k, but 12k is just as high as before and equally near impossible. I was thinking we could get a reduction to 8k or 10k at best.
The change in Scout Controller requirements from 15k to 12k just proves what I was talking about earlier. Niantic does not seem to give any actual thought into what numbers they put up for tier medal requirements and decide them solely on the toss of a dice.
While I am happy that scanning will use up less data and the encoding will be faster, the current requirements are still too high. The ONLY benefit for recursed agents right now is to try and get wings on their badges. With Onyx Scout Controller being at 12k, you don't even want the recused agents to have that now?
As stated before, multiple times, and is still being stated by multiple agents, the current requirements are neither feasible nor achievable. Anything more than 4000 is just pushing it. Yes, 4000 at the very very maximum. This is still going to be insanely hard to achieve because there is no freaking way to keep track of what portals you have scanned and what you haven't and I know for a fact that no one has the memory to remember the portals they scanned about a year ago when they are going out of their way to get more unique scans in.
Don't be greedy, let players enjoy the game. I appreciate you try to bring new features to the game, even if they are sometimes done without putting any thought into it whatsoever (ex: Scout Controller), you may want to listen to the community feedback if you really want people to be doing your work.
Hey. It was said that the counter would be reset every 30 days. Much more has passed, and the points remain on all portals. This points 40+ days.Thank.
The comm scroll is still broken for a 7th patch in a row?
@NianticBrian Niantic Social? 🤷🤷
@NianticBrian The best Niantic can do are relese video how all portal scannings look in Ingress Prime. When more agents see the video i think more agents like use portal scanning. I dont think now more agents use portal scanning only for onyx now are lower. We only wait for the video how it look in Ingress Prime.
As a somewhat frequent portal scanner, I'm liking this update. Adding countermeasures against fraudulent scans is good before adding a potential AP reward, reducing file size and encoding time are always good. I'm also a fan of listening to community feedback, even when others think that the reduction in onyx Scout Controller requirements is not significant enough.
What most people seem to get wrong is that Scout is an easy badge, that's why Scout Controller has such ridiculous requirements. Even to this day, onyx Explorer and Pioneer are among the hardest badgest of the game, while Scout can be acquired by scanning somewhat frequently. I brought the comparison between easy and hard badges of a similar action up in a post before: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/11740/unpopular-opinion-regarding-scout-controller
To sum it up, I said that Translator is a very easy badge compared to Hacker. I think the same logic applies here. I'm expecting to get Scout Controller to gold at maximum while I'm finishing onyx Scout, since the same thing happened to me with Translator and Hacker. Translator onyx is acquirable even before silver Hacker in good circumstances. I also don't expect to get the other unique portal medals to onyx anytime soon, if ever.
Hey @NianticBrian, I'll issue you a challenge. Between us, who will get double Onyx Scout Controller first? How long will it take until you get bored of it? ;)
As much as I appreciate the consideration, 12,000 is still unjustified. I did 38 portal scans this morning and it took me over an hour with 0 AP gained. How does putting in so much effort for absolutely no reward make players feel? Of course 3D scans of portals is important to Niantic, but you're forgetting about what is important to the playerbase - which unfortunately scanning portals has no benefit or importance, therefore there is zero motivation to perform this action for Niantic.
I've done 380 unique scans in my local area since Scout Controller was released, it's a real struggle and massive distraction from the real game. Due to COVID restrictions, I am locked down to a 5km radius of my home, with a state-imposed curfew and only allowed out for essential purposes. I've done about as much as I can, silver Scout Controller might just barely be within reach if I push the legal limits for what I can do. Any other tier is approaching impossibility (until at least COVID restrictions are eased). Conversely, I can happily work on almost every other badge without such restrictions stopping me.
I encourage Niantic to conduct a proper review and for once listen to the players, seek advice from the vanguards and make scanning as important to players as it is important to Niantic.
Will add to the bandwagon sentiment, 12,000, lol. For something that may not even be in Ingress.... hahaha. I’ll leave the cheap labor to everyone else. Add a reward, show us how it will look, give us a response of some sort outside of some release notes for Christ’s sake...
You all can get your link amps in a twist with how many scans.
I just want to know “why we should?”.
12k is still too high as there are no markers of which portals we already have scanned.
It's the same for explorer but at least for that medal it's a actual ingress game action that is not limited in time
And coms/alerts are still broken (for how many releases now? (seriously, how hard is it to fix a scroll bar issue?)) and you've made it even harder for new agents to communicate to others.
Still haven't seen a single portal with a scout controller on it...
Portal controller is not resetting after 30 days. So even local portals need to be scanned multiple times to get 1 point because some players got there first and the count just goes up and up. I assume this is a bug?
The desire to scan anywhere none local is very low as most will, in all probability, require multiple scans for 1 point. You are making an already tedious task almost impossible.
Counters should reset to 0 scans after 7 days. Give us some encouragement to do this work for you.
Nice Update. Can you increase the scan limit (200 per 13 days) please?
It is very tedious to work on the badge right now.
As usual Niantic devs don't actually play their games themselves. So they don't know how much time goes into a portal scan.
Edit: or what % of portals can actually be scanned properly.
Thanks for fixing the softlock. :)
I didn’t see any mention of a fix for the being unable to link to a portal for which you have a key. This is a regular occurrence and the only resolution is to restart the app. It was introduced at least 2 updates ago. It only affects portals which have already been used to create a field. The core gameplay mechanic of Ingress is building fields. I would have assumed that when this was broken it would have been fixed as a priority over other features?
@NianticBrian instead of the 200 general limit for any/all portal scans, what about making it individual? 1 guaranteed "free" scan at every unique portal, and them a set limit for extra duplicated scans, that reset every 13, like it is now.
This will allow the agents to do as many unique portal scans as they want in one go and speeding up the data collection process for you and. It's a Win-win situation.
if you really want to help us help you help us all, please introduce a BACKGROUND PROCESSING service to Portal Scanning. It would be great if we didn;t have to wait (even for a short time) until all the photos are crunched and sent. Click, scan, confirm, go. Or isn't it time to move on, agents?
- Portal Scanning will check Portal Scans for brightness (for example, is your finger over the lens?) and movement (are you standing still?) before starting the encoding and upload process
This is something I was thinking about a few weeks ago when I was scanning stuff.
The problem here is at dusk and Dawn, when you are looking directly into the sun, the camera will over expose and produce a dark scan. Haven't tried this new version yet, it will not be available on my area until maybe Wednesday.
But from the sound of it, I reckon this is requires reviewing.
On top of that, we need to know how these scans are going to be used. And legally you must be forthcoming on how they are to be used.
1. Sorting by name still doesn't work. Only works once after the game is started and you go to keys. Exit keys, or move around, or hack something, and sorting by name will not work anymore until the game is restarted.
2. Sorting by distance also doesn't work properly. It seems that the key it uses for reference needs to be at the top and off screen. (I think we need a carousel so that the game knows which portal is selected, which should fix both issues. Why did they remove the carousel just for keys?)
3. "XM reserves critical, XM drained, scanner offline, resonators recharged, XM acquired, XM reserves online, scanner online, good work" when charging.
4. When charging portals, sometimes they are not shown on the screen.
5. Magnetic arrow on devices without compass doesn't point North. Instead, the avatar is rotated when map is rotated. Need to leave avatar pointing up and the arrow should rotate with map, like it was in Redacted.
6. When viewing remote portals, sometimes get notifications that links/fields were created or destroyed or get portal attack sounds and animations even if it was hours ago and no one is currently in that area.
7. When recharging portals, sometimes when there's less than 1000 XM left to full charge, regular charge will take way less than 1000 XM, maybe about 500-600 XM, even though the portal is within a few miles and regular charges before that were taking about 1000 XM as they should.
8. When picking up items, Acquire button is not grayed out if the item is out of range like it was Redacted. It's quite annoying to press it only to find out you're out of range and then have to find the item you want to pick up again when it's next to some portals.
9. While viewing agents' stats, can't scroll if I press on mission badges. I have to press on something else in order to scroll.
10. When pressing on a portal that's close to another portal or portals, the portal selection menu appears for a moment and then disappears. Pressing on that portal the second time shows the selection menu, and this time it stays.
11. COMMs now don't go to the last activity, seem to be stuck at the beggining of a previous day. I have to manually scroll down, but when I exit COMMs and go back in, I'm again somewhere in the middle and not in the most recent activity.
12. Incorrect photo zoom/view. Keys don't properly show portrait photos, full screen photos don't properly show landscape photos. Also, Redacted had ability to rotate screen when viewing photos so both landscape and portrait photos can be viewed full screen.
13. Can't reply to a player of the same faction in Cross-faction COMMs just by selecting Reply option. It goes to Faction COMMs, and selecting Cross-faction removes @<agent name>. Have to copy agent's name in Faction COMMs and then paste it to Cross-faction COMMs
14. Drone view doesn't show all the portals in the vicinity - some portals are not visible even though they are the same distance or closer to drone than other portals that are visible.
15. When going into portals that are close to the edge of the screen and then going out, those portals disappear from view. If they have links on them, I can still see all the links converging at one point, but portal is no longer visible.
1. No portal hopping like in Redacted. We could look at a portal from alerts or actions, then press on a portal nearby, and if we had a key to it, we could "hop" to it, and continue hopping as long as we had keys to nearby portals.
2. Is it possible to get rid of "It has been XX hours since your last login. I was getting worried about you"? Sounds like overly attached girlfriend. No, we don't need to change that to Jarvis voice, it will be even creepier. "It has been XX hours since you last login" by itself is OK, but I never understood the point of it.
3. Can’t see own actions in COMMs. We were able to see our actions in COMMs in Redacted.
4. According to Intel Map, neutral portals are level 0. In Prime, neutral portals are shown as level 1 when looking at keys. Is it possible to make them be shown as level 0?
5. No portal navigation like in Redacted.
1. When scrolling thru keys, they jump around and show some keys twice.
2. Need some indicator, like red circle in Redacted, to know where North is, especially considering that portal view randomly rotates either clockwise or counterclockwise.
3. Considering that sometimes it takes several seconds to load portal data when looking at keys, is it possible to NOT show portal level at all until data gets loaded? Currently it would show level 1, then whatever level it actually is after data gets loaded.
4. Can't scroll in COMMs as after a few seconds it takes you back to the bottom.
5. When taking items out of or putting items into capsules (regular or quantum) it shows incorrect item count. For example, if I have 2000 items and want to take 2 items out of a capsule, it would show 2002/2000. If I want to put 2 items into a capsule, it would show 1998/2000. Once transfer is completed, it would show 2000/2000 again.