Ingress 2.54.1 Release Notes

What’s New

• Portal Scanning will check Portal Scans for brightness (for example, is your finger over the lens?) and movement (are you standing still?) before starting the encoding and upload process.
    • Please note that in an upcoming release (after 2.54.1), we're working to reduce Portal Scan encoding time; reduce Portal Scan file size; and reduce the Scout Controller Onyx tier to 12,000 Unique Portals.
  • Agents Level 1-7 can post to COMM from the Ingress app, but we removed their ability to post new messages to COMM from the Intel Map in an effort to reduce the amount of COMM spam.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed: Softlock on Map Screen after attempting to pick up a dropped item that was outside of range. 
  • Fixed: 500 server error on Mission Authoring Tool when zooming in to some Portals.
  • Fixed: Tutorial unexpectedly restarts, which locked Main Menu features until ending the New Agent Tutorial.

Comments

• Agents Level 1-7 can post to COMM from the Ingress app, but we removed their ability to post new messages to COMM from the Intel Map in an effort to reduce the amount of COMM spam.

Thank you, exactly as I suggested

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Onyx scans reduced to 12k is still pretty high

But is a lot better than before

Are you able to shed any more info about the Battle Beacon changes?

For example, requiring a hack on the BB portal by at least one person from both factions?

• DestroyerTJDestroyerTJ ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticOfficial @NianticBrian

Hey. It was said that the counter would be reset every 30 days. Much more has passed, and the points remain on all portals. This points 40+ days.Thank.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

The comm scroll is still broken for a 7th patch in a row?

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian The best Niantic can do are relese video how all portal scannings look in Ingress Prime. When more agents see the video i think more agents like use portal scanning. I dont think now more agents use portal scanning only for onyx now are lower. We only wait for the video how it look in Ingress Prime.

• ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

As a somewhat frequent portal scanner, I'm liking this update. Adding countermeasures against fraudulent scans is good before adding a potential AP reward, reducing file size and encoding time are always good. I'm also a fan of listening to community feedback, even when others think that the reduction in onyx Scout Controller requirements is not significant enough.

What most people seem to get wrong is that Scout is an easy badge, that's why Scout Controller has such ridiculous requirements. Even to this day, onyx Explorer and Pioneer are among the hardest badgest of the game, while Scout can be acquired by scanning somewhat frequently. I brought the comparison between easy and hard badges of a similar action up in a post before: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/11740/unpopular-opinion-regarding-scout-controller

To sum it up, I said that Translator is a very easy badge compared to Hacker. I think the same logic applies here. I'm expecting to get Scout Controller to gold at maximum while I'm finishing onyx Scout, since the same thing happened to me with Translator and Hacker. Translator onyx is acquirable even before silver Hacker in good circumstances. I also don't expect to get the other unique portal medals to onyx anytime soon, if ever.

Post edited by ikaros02 on
  • KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

12k is still too high as there are no markers of which portals we already have scanned.

It's the same for explorer but at least for that medal it's a actual ingress game action that is not limited in time

• Nice Update. Can you increase the scan limit (200 per 13 days) please?

It is very tedious to work on the badge right now.

• Thanks for fixing the softlock. :)

I didn’t see any mention of a fix for the being unable to link to a portal for which you have a key. This is a regular occurrence and the only resolution is to restart the app. It was introduced at least 2 updates ago. It only affects portals which have already been used to create a field. The core gameplay mechanic of Ingress is building fields. I would have assumed that when this was broken it would have been fixed as a priority over other features?

• dear Niantic,

if you really want to help us help you help us all, please introduce a BACKGROUND PROCESSING service to Portal Scanning. It would be great if we didn;t have to wait (even for a short time) until all the photos are crunched and sent. Click, scan, confirm, go. Or isn't it time to move on, agents?

Thank you!

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian

- Portal Scanning will check Portal Scans for brightness (for example, is your finger over the lens?) and movement (are you standing still?) before starting the encoding and upload process

This is something I was thinking about a few weeks ago when I was scanning stuff.

The problem here is at dusk and Dawn, when you are looking directly into the sun, the camera will over expose and produce a dark scan. Haven't tried this new version yet, it will not be available on my area until maybe Wednesday.

But from the sound of it, I reckon this is requires reviewing.

On top of that, we need to know how these scans are going to be used. And legally you must be forthcoming on how they are to be used.