Prime on VPN

edited August 2020 in General

So amongst my COVID goals has been to clean up my digital environment, secure passwords, shut down old accounts etc.

One of the aspects of this that I've gotten around to is setting up VPN accounts for the home and mobile devices.

Unfortunately, it appears that Prime doesn't work with a VPN? I get a network error by turning it on. I know that this was an issue early on, but I thought it got fixed.

@NianticBrian Is it intended that we can't use a standard reputable VPN provider for Ingress Prime? It certainly hasn't stopped the spoofers, so why can't there rest of us be secure?

Comments

• So, as an update for anyone who goes looking (since my Google searches yielded nothing), someone informed me that the trick is to bounce between different endpoints until you find one Niantic hasn't blocked because bots were using it.

Painful, but it works I guess.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been shown with Niantic's other games, blocking VPNs has no effect on stopping spoofers and bots.

However Chinese players have to use VPNs, but no idea how they are managing to do that

• Yeah, from my research, Niantic seems to simply ban an endpoint when it's abused by bots, so you have to find one that hasn't been banned yet.

• As far as I know, prime doesn't work only with some vpn servers. The rest still work for me, including transparent https on WiFi settings.