Ingress and 5G

I preordered a 5G capable phone, but here's the question:

Anyone ever played Ingress on 5G and noticed anything? Portal scan uploads are fast as Sonic now?

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your carrier and their network.

I know Niantic is looking to have low latency for 5G networks. They did a press release last year about it.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Don't assume 5G will automatically give you super fast speed. The super fast speeds are mostly going to be noticeable in areas where your carrier has set up in high band, mm wave towers, and pretty much require line of sight, within 1000 or so feet.

Most 5G deployment is going to be in low and mid-bands, where the speeds are not going to be much better than current LTE. Those speeds will improve as more 2G and 3G is re-homed to 5G technologies.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

5G rollout is still ongoing, not until maybe late 2020 or Early 2021 will the benefits of 5G become apparent in day to day activity.

I still remember fondly about the switch from 3G to 4G, which made little difference to myself, even on 3G can watch 720p videos in real time. But to save data just watch in 480p. I'm old enough to not really care about the loss in quality.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to be able watch 4K at 60FPS on mobile data