Let's discuss a medal for unique portals drone visited

1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea isn't new but I want to see your suggestions on the tiers, also taking into consideration possible MK2 travelling via links.

While a month or so I didn't use drones at all, lately I found it's interesting to try to avoid your drone being force recalled while getting as many unique visits as possible in active regions. I suggest we get a tiered badge for that (with backtracking our progress, unlike Scout Controller!).

As for the tiers, I'd suggest something close to Scout Controller numbers. Specifically, if we can only have one drone launched at a time, I suggest Onyx at ~15k unique portals. At 1 jump per hour, given 16 jumps per day (because we need to sleep), in ideal circumstances it can be achieved in ~2.5-3 years of flying. While it's far less than 30k for Explorer, for Explorer you don't have any cooldowns and can hunt for the uniques the whole day.

But if there is some MK2 drone travelling via links is involved and they both can be launched together, then we can do ~1.5x of that and have as high as 25k Onyx tier.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 15K is fine for Onyx, which is 50% Explorer. It's true that we have an hour cooldown timer but the drone will stay there after you leave, so it can have the chance to visit more portals than you did in the trip.

Travelling through links, in my opinion, should not affect this math. Chances of getting the drone forced back shouldn't either.

Teh reason for that is that is very likely that you will require several trips to get those numbers; even if the drone could move through links, it would require a minimun of 15K hours, which is about 1.8 years (2 years), but as you said, we gotta sleep, so 3.5 - 4 years would be a more realistic number.

But this is about numbers. About concept, I don't believe there should be any badge for the drone.

UNLESS

They design a hunt-the-drone subgame :)

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

A possibility to detect other drones is indeed what's missing. If there was one, we could have a lot more action and drama, and such medal could be a lot more valuable, because you managed to visit e.g. 15k portals while dealing with people actively trying to force recall your drone.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like a mechanism for moving your drone more than once per hour, maybe make it based on the energy or mod state of the portal it currently sits at, as well as a push notification alerting you your drone is ready to move.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 15k is too much. Just 5k-8k is fine. It's already over a year if you're both dedicated to it and have a life, but also less than an year if you're obsessed with it.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

im suprised we didnt have one already instead of the new portal scout medal.... i rarely use my drone, i do like 1 or 2 hacks daily but other then that its just sitting there since no medal so no reason for me to active use it really... i hope we get one i think onyx 6-8k or something is realistic considering the 1 jump / hour.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah there are two medals for labor, but not a single medal for drones...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i really hope we get a medal for it.. otherwise why have stats for it if not a medal? seems strange to me.... i would use it more if there was a medal....

• A medal for drone activities should have been prioritized over scout. Scouts seem to be free labour for the development of Pogo and HPU.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly why there is a medal associated with it, lol. They’re not stupid. They probably weren’t getting enough scans with the first medal, so to increase labor output, a second medal was introduced.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

but the medal encourages ppl to go out, is that so smart during times like this? better with a drone medal safe use it from home...

The drone itself can be a premium item. Maybe even worse from free accounts, and the ones with subscription can have the one hour (or half a hour if the free keeps the 1h) and extra lenght. Other thing could be free drones being visible and paid invisible.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pokemon Go even has a badge for scanning? That's a massive wasted opportunity by Niantic if that's the case, considering PoGo's playerbase is a thousand times larger. All they have to do is offer another silly little hat for people to jump at the reward.

I already said it here: give a random pokémon encounter for every unique scan and they will have all the data they want. Put some rare pokémon, or one exclusive to this method and it will even faster.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

i read brian on twitter no plans for now do a drone medal... i hope they change their minds.

Post edited by mortuus on
  • I think a medal for drone explored would be great to stimulate more players and also the Drone could hold modules that would only be used in the countdown after that when jumping to the next portal could put other modules.

• Some people do nothing but fly drones and monitor the situation in the country. It seems to me that flying around the portals on a drone is like a second "pioner" medal. We need a medal!

• having a medal sure have much more power to use drone, especially for the medal collector ;D! Indeed, i really hope drone medal will come out soon.

• Pokémon Go players don't care about medals at all (I think). The important thing is PoGo will provide Puffin (in-game purchase item) to them as a reward. That's much more attractive than giving a medal tho. If Niantic says Agents who scan some amounts of portal will reward a Fracker, then I will be standing at the street and doing the scan too!

• As I read some discussions on the pogo channels in my city, I understood that the scanning goes completely beyond them. There is a lot of opinion that they will not collect data for the NIA for free, which is quite sad. However, they don't really have much motivation to scan. I think there is only some quests from pokestops with unusual rewards, but nothing you cant achieve in other ways...

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s at least three medals that could be created for drones:

• Unique Drone Hacks (pioneer/explorer)
    • Total Drone Hacks (hacker)
    • Longest Distance or Cumulative distance  

I would welcome any of them as possible badges since I love badges, but the distance one is the most unique to the Drone.

I’m not sure how they tie in to the story, or the general idea of Ingress’s get out and move.

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

So many great ideas in this thread! I imagine adding a medal like this could significantly boost event participation when drone cooldown is decreased. Or imagine drones interacting with shards some way, especially if drones can travel via link!

• Longest or cumulative distance would be most challenging! You have to plan the route, think about what you are doing... That would be really great.

Total hacks or unique hacks... I am not sure. Personally I dont like getting badges for a minimum work. I love collecting badges too, but I need to achieve them through some challenge.

If one of those badges will come to us, I will be happy. But no all three of them.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medals in PoGo are generally a non-issue and are an extra, however, with Level 43 and 45 requirements they do need to have at least 5 and 10 platinum medals respectively. So there is some need for them now.

Longest distance is going to be hard to achieve for a lot of people. I've checked every portal and the max that can be achieved in my area is 93km (with lots of key hops). Additionally, regional players would probably be able to achieve a lot less. So if a badge for longest distance is added, it would need to be quite low to be realistically achieveable, which just makes it negligible.

Perhaps distance/time, so the longer the Drone has been active multipled by distance could work. That would mean a lot of people bouncing back and forth between the same portals to get the distance and time multiplier. Could be boring, but something different lol

• What if they plan to remove drones from game once we go back to normal and thats why they don't want to add badges?

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Impossible. You don't develop a thing of such complexity just to remove it later.

Besides, I heard drones were in development even before the pandemic started.

• That would be incredibly stupid. Why would they do that?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be fun a global challenge based on drones and a badge for that aswell. We need something extra virtual fs@home just isnt enough. Drones are just as safe as fs @home is...