Battle Beacon Playtest

Starting this weekend, we’re working with local Vanguards VanJeffery and DLKoikingu to playtest Battle Beacons in New Zealand and Taiwan. We look forward to hearing valuable feedback from playtesters so we can continue to tune and iterate on the feature before making it more widely available on the Ingress Store in the future.

Battle Beacons are competitive, Faction-based challenges for Portal ownership. Your objective is to control the Target Portal across 5 Checkpoints, at 3-minute intervals between Checkpoints. Scores are visible to Agents in the Ingress app on the Map Screen and Portal Details. Giving Agents an option to host their own scored battles isn’t a replacement for Anomalies, but it’s a new way to play Ingress that we can experiment with right now. 

Battle Beacons are still in-development and subject to changes, and the playtest is designed to experiment with different mechanics and values. When deployed on a Target Portal, any Agent within range will be able to see and interact with the Battle Beacon.

We’re beginning with playtests in New Zealand and Taiwan to start, and may expand the playtest to more Agents in more regions. If you’re interested in participating, stay tuned for more info after this first wave of playtesting.

Comments

• isorhizaisorhiza ✭✭✭

Can we observe through intel map?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Will battle beacons work remote ?

• any possible to watch it?

• OthinnMxOOthinnMxO ✭✭✭

If it's anything like the recent test in Huntington Beach, it will show up on Intel and in Comm.

• cenucenu ✭✭

Buena idea.

Interesado en hacer la prueba en Spain.

Suerte con las balizas @VanJeffery @DLKoikingu

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Not interesting new when only in store and not for free! 😡😪

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they will give away a few free like beacons, fireworks, apex etec but im sure it will cost small cmu after...

• Zw4nnZw4nn ✭✭

Wait. You really thought it will always be free? Ohhh so sweet 😹😹

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Please share video about Battle Beacon.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Taiwan, Taichung will test Battle Beacon behind IFS today,and there will be a Live (https://www.twitch.tv/wuderlor) from @WuDerLo at 19:30(UTC+8).

• This is a start Brian.. but as this world altering disease will last for.a while. 2021.. listen to Faucci....

These phones can be used to employ social distancing and that can be a part of any game play. And with ingress drift 3 meters or 10 foot would be a better way to play.

Penalty time for no social distancing.

After you all fix the pokemon and ingress bug that uses the wrong map coordinates and freezes up the scanner.

You all may wanna think about your Unity map system work way better..

• While I can understand as a fellow I.T. worker that every product made has to have some way to pay their employees. Many companies do it in different ways, maybe you get stock options, or whatever but I believe the consensus is that this community does not want a pay to win Ingress.

But I am sure that there are plenty of ways to have events that are not required for everybody to participate in but those that wish to participate in them, or are in a country that they are starting it out in which I unfortunately I'm not. I'm in the US. But regardless I do believe I have read at least three different posts from ingress moderators that state clearly they will not ruin the game by making it pay-to-win no matter what they put in the store. For instance if you look now you will see that there are a lot of items in the store that are just "cosmetic"? Maybe that's not the right word but for the other items that have good bonuses they also come with heavy negative costs that even and balance it out in my opinion. for example the frackers the minute you use them the enemy team will rush to you and your team and where you're trying to either farm high-level portals or set up some sort of linking system while using them and that is just one example. My favorite item is the key lockers. And I'm not 100% sure of this but I do believe that most of the items purchased in the store, if not all the items purchased in the store cannot be traded to others as in dropped and another picks it up. if I'm wrong please correct me on which ones you can do that and which ones you can't because I would prefer no trading of store purchased items for several reasons I'll give one, if people can start selling cosmetic gear and as the years go by hopefully we get more stuff added there will be a black market of gear that I don't want this game to have any part of. I don't think very many people would like to see items on the store sold on eBay or some other site maybe I'm wrong but I'm just being honest and expressing my opinion. I am looking forward to the launching of the new events I believe you call them battle beacon! I can't wait to check them out when they come to the US. So even if I have to buy the store currency just to support the game, and not spend it necessarily but then again if I had it my way, there'd be options where maybe there'd be five different upgrades that people could choose to support by either purchasing the CU store currency and spending that in one of maybe five different upgrades and they put their currency in the one they want the most upgraded. That I would personally spend a few hundred a month on and that's just me there are a lot of ingress players. Just food for thought, love to hear what other people think, and I hope the testing for the battle beacon goes great!

• You can watch archive on Twitch permanently here.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

when will this launch worldwide ?