Unpopular opinion regarding Scout Controller

ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭

At the time of writing this, you need 100/500/1000/5000/15000 points Scout Controller. It's clear that this was meant to be a very hard badge. It gets compared to Explorer and Pioneer, the two other unique portal medals. Arguably, Scout Controller is even harder to get than Explorer and Pioneer, because you have to spend time to scan the portal carefully, instead of just quickly hacking or capturing it. Scout Controller is also criticised for being a lot harder than Scout, since you need only 6000 scans for onyx Scout, compared to Controller's 15000 unique Controller statuses.

I'd like to compare Scout and Scout Controller to Translator and Hacker.

Translator is a relatively easy badge, often one of the onyx and platinum badges people use to get to L16. On the other hand, Hacker is very hard to get onyx. In optimal circumstances, you can get up to 15 glyph hack points per single hack. However, you need only 50000 points to get onyx Translator, while you need whopping 200000 hacks for onyx Hacker.

In my opinion, while Scout Controller might be too hard, I'm glad there is an easy badge to accompany it. I have barely gotten silver Hacker myself while I'm well on my way to acquire onyx Translator. If you read this, I hope you can share your thoughts on this perspective.

Comments

• I fully share the fact that the Scout Controller is too hard but to compare it with Hacker is for me not a logical step. For Hacker, I can go to a big, big city and make easy bus circles with empty inventory.

For Controller, you have to spent much, much more time and you have still the risk that someone make two Scan of a portal and might beat you easily.

I have my 49 portal round curse to finish the Scout and will not be in danger to get any of the Scout Controller.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

The topic has a lot of interesting points on this thread, you should check it out!

• ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your feedback. I'm not comparing Scout Controller to Hacker per se, but rather the similarities between Translator/Hacker and Scout/Controller "medal pairs". For both medals of a pair, you get points towards them by doing similar actions, one is very hard and one is rather easy.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The funny and weird part is that both scout badges require the same amount for gold rank, and them controller escalate to hell, while bregilar scout keeps consistency.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

The amount is the same, but even so, completely different. Just that, I could complete one in my town over the course of a couple of months and the other will require some decent traveling and luck. Went to a new city yesterday and about 80% of the portals already had a scout controller. I wasn't interested in scanning everything twice, so I left.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I did note pairs when suggesting to use the Portal Nominations stat (since September 2017) as a baseline for similar activity with Portal Scans. Portal Nominations has similar restrictions in place.

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

The problem is that unlike the other badges, scanning is disconnected from all other game actions. For example, if I'm working on translator or explorer, my hacker badge is also ticking up. Another example, it's impossible to tick up liberator or pioneer without my builder stat also increasing resonators deployed. So in the course of normal play, I'm working on many badges at once while I gain AP. Scanning is a pause from normal gameplay, and something I have to deliberately do, it's also something that one could choose never to do while enjoying other aspects of core gameplay.