Update Mission Tool

jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Please update mission tool and we can create mission we must use portal scanning to complete mission.

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Also important to note, we don't even have glyph hacking for an action to complete a mission and I believe that used to be a way to verify people a long time ago. I don't see why complex functions need to be added to progress missions.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

Glyph hacking was never used as a method of verifying people....

It was long ago when the verification badge was still possible. Suspected accounts or accounts that tripped a flag in the app were required to glyph hack to be able to use Ingress. I think glyphing was added in 2014 but wasn't a badge until over a year afterwards. I wish G+ still existed so I could find the verification screenshots.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

No, that's never how that worked. Verification was triggered at L3, and used Google's voice/sms service to verify your account. That's it. It had nothing to do with glyphing at all. Unverified accounts were not able to level past L3 and had an inventory item cap of 100.

Found an old reddit post about it.

The message people would get is "Portal lock down. Glyph hack required."

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian the Mission Creator tool, is still not usable on mobile.

I don't always turn on a PC every day, whereas I do the majority of what I do each day via mobile, and web interfaces.

Was looking forward to creating missions on mobile web interface when it was announced that a number of fixes had been done

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Please we can use it and create missions from mobile.

• Really? I created more than 100 missions long ago and doing by mobile.

• If such a thing exists already, please provide a link thank you.

Id like to see a mission editing page optimized for mobile devices.

Right now there is no option for editing the page via a mobile device and once you get to the part to actually add the portals / actions the page is jumbled, overplayed, unscrollabe and basically can not be used via a mobile device.

Our intel map has an option to view as pc or mobile to make it work, although some features are not present on the mobile view.

Having a mission editor that is optimized or at least compatible for mobile use would open up mission creation to many more people that don’t have access to a pc.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no no no no. Not all phones support ARCore, so not all agents would be able to complete the mission.

Why would you want that anyway? From what i've seen, scanning a portal takes a good deal of time. Portals which require anything other than hacking are annoying enough as it is.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Please no. Not all players enjoy glyph hacking. There are plenty of players who NEVER glyph hack.

[edit: imagine someone who is very bad at glyph hacking, and winds up at an L8 portal with "successfully glyph hack this portal". they won't be able to complete the mission. if you counter this argument with "well they don't need to get the glyphs right", i will counter with "well then why bother having the requirement at all?"]

They can glyph a level 1 portal. 🤓

The same argument about it being level 8 applies to the actions that require upgrading or modding the portal.

"Why bother having any chance of discussion when you're going assume anyways?"

• If a mission required glyphing portal X, which is L8, an agent can't satisfy that requirement by glyphing portal Y, which is L1. The agent could flip/**** portal X and **** it, then claim it as L1, and glyph it.

That already happens occasionaly with the mission "capture or upgrade" feature. 9999 times out of 10000, updating is simple. but on that 10,000th time, when you encounter an L8, you've got to flip/**** it, to be able to upgrade.

It's an unsavory aspect of the game, but it's already in there.

• The mission creation tool has so many bugs. I keep hoping they'll assign an intern to re-code it. A lot of the problems would then go away, because no sane person would code what we have.

• We really need filters or tabs, so you can see live missions without having to load drafts - or draft missions without having to load live. (After six years, I have more drafts than I can even go thru and delete, because it's so SLOW.)
    • Edited missions always have current date and time for edit date and time. I have a few edits submitted sometime pre-pandemic, but they always give current date.
    • We should be able to drag and drop wayspots, to rearrange the sequence of a mission.
    • The mission picture should always be cropped the same - on the mission creator tool (within the mission and on the mission list), on the scanner's nearby-mission list, and on the profile of someone who did the mission.
  • XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding "glyph hack the portal" as a mission action would be fine as long it didn't require glyphing successfully. Making the glyph-illiterate try glyph-hacking once in a while won't **** them.

• Need to get verified for Bannergress

1ffb2123-368f-4871-913e-44ae11c43c11

LtGrasshopper

• @XK150 Ten percent of adults are dyslexic. Calling them "glyph-illiterate" is pretty insensitive. Do you also pick on the 5% of adults with ADHD? Every coin has two sides - people with dyslexia or ADHD bring a needed vision to humanity.

But to the nuts-and-bolts of your comment: Yes, glyphing without requiring accuracy seems acceptable. And it could add a different aspect to missions and missioning.

• Ten percent of adults are dyslexic. Calling them "glyph-illiterate" is pretty insensitive.

That's actually an intriguing thought. The mental causes of dyslexia relate to how we read words instead of the letters in the word. I'd be really interested to hear from people that are affected by dyslexia on their experiences positive or negative on glyphing, given that there's no letter combinations for the sequences, and each glyph is an entire word.

• The mental causes of dyslexia relate to how we read words instead of the letters in the word. 

Dyslexia exists separate from words and letters. To sum it all up by one manifestation, is far too simple. A glyph being a whole word has no bearing over a letter in the English alphabet - both are symbols.

But since we're talking about a form of writing (glyphing) I'll go with the topic.

I'm mild dyslexic, not diagnosed until I took a college psychology - because I'm SMART and came up with work-arounds. I have onyx glypher, but I don't much like doing it.

All these glyphs are shaped like the letter N (or Z): adapt change complex creativity data evolution failure follow help live-again message pursue question rebel save separate want

There are also several Ms: again avoid conflict, and Ls: abandon easy improve them use 

The worst thing I can to is read the glyph as words. I'll get the sentence, then draw a blank. "Which N is rebel?" I'll frantically ask my spouse, as my timer spins. And his face goes blank, because he's thinking, "Rebel is not an N." By the time it rings into him, that yes it is an N, my time is over. It is better for me to remember the sequence by just remembering the shapes. Like, call Rebel: "big backwards N".

Sometimes I remember the location of a glyph by tapping something, for example my head if the M is in the top quadrant of the board, or using my thumb and forefinger to tap an L on my forearm in the correct orientation. Or I'll bad-sign-language the sentence in the air, with the hand not holding the phone.

Sometimes, along with the shapes, I'll remember where the first dot is for each glyph. Or, my brain will connect the whole sentence, cursive-style. First glyph starts here, and ends where the second glyph starts. Second glyph ends where the third starts. That whole calculation happens after the full glyph sentence is finished, but I'm good at seeing patterns (a dyslexic gift), so it's easy to know if THIS glyph does that.

Reference: http://glyphtionary.com/