Comms scrolling is even more broken than before.

In the two years or so since Prime launched, I've always complained about the bug when scrolling comms that makes the feed snap back to the beginning, causing you to lose your place in the feed. I couldn't imagine how hard it could possibly be to fix such a simple issue and I never thought it could be anymore broken than it already was. And then I guess somebody tried to fix it and proved me wrong. Now every time I open comms, it starts me at the very top of the feed (i.e. the complete opposite of most recent), causing me to have to scroll through the entire feed just to see most recent activity. This wouldn't be as much of a problem due to the previously mentioned bug of the feed snapping back to most recent, as I could just wait until it triggers to bring me there, but nope, now it snaps you to the TOP of the feed. Amazing. Can't wait until 2022 for this one to be patched.

Tagged:

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this problem too now.. comm bug scrolls up and not showing the latest.... very annoying :(

• WCPLWCPL ✭✭

@NianticBrian Perhaps a solution would be to add a button (with an arrow) added that takes you to the bottom (ie: most recent). And it should only appear when you're not viewing the most recent.

I'm sure many of us have seen websites that have some sort of "jump to top" buttons on long pages. You click the button and it'll take you to the very top. I figure something similar could work well for comms.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I hadn't had issues with this until recently, it's super frustrating! Glad it's at least on the radar, fingers crossed for a fix!

• Ktulu789Ktulu789 ✭✭✭

Telegram does that. When you go up, shows the go to bottom button.

• @NianticBrian normally, when you say "we're working on it" it feels like "it's at the bottom of our backlog and we might touch it, after everyone's accepted this bug".

What does this mean in terms of timeline? Could it be part of version 2.52 or is it going to be 10.80?

I have to admit, that I completely lost trust in NIA communication especially in terms of bugs and server maintenance - the usual excuses.

• This was actually "almost" working. But now it's completely FUBAR again.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Prime.

But I also remember a time in the distant past, where comm was useful. A time when new feed didn't snap you to the bottom, or top, if you had scrolled away from the bottom.. A time where the comm stayed on the bottom, following new feed as they came.

A time where agent name was part of the scanner front-screen feed, showing last 3 events. (Now there are 2 events, and no indicator as what faction or agent is responsible).

It's almost as if one need to have a laptop with intel map and comms open on the side to stay on top of things.

Regards,

agent Komadyret

• Comm sucks! I don't have time to scroll 2 days of comm to have it revert back to the 2 days prior. Useless

• Are you still seeing this issue if you uninstall then reinstall Ingress to clear your app cache? This should be fixed in 2.51.1, which is starting to roll out now and will continue to release over the following week.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Please listen on agents feedback and build new comm we can see whole text with smaller font old Ingress 1 comm have. The new comm in Prime are very very bad design.

• BR4510BR4510 ✭✭

Problema na barra de rolagem da COMM

Me dá nervoso.

PT-BR

♦️

This issue persist for me on iOS.

A trick I learned about is tapping over to Alerts do a quick scroll up and back down with your finger and then tap back over to Activities and it will snap to the bottom. Sure beats having to scroll all the way down.

• DizzyBumDizzyBum ✭✭✭

Still an issue for me. I installed 2.51.1 and cleared app cache. Activities feed still starts at the top upon first view. If I look at another feed then go back to Activities, it snaps to the top after a few seconds. If I close and reopen comms, it starts at the top again.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 10.

• @NianticBrian It is still there, and nothing got fixed.

Did you in any way test this? I can't imagine, that this did not show up, if there is a single test on the comm in either unit, integration or acceptance tests...

#fail #morefails #epicfail

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Still broken as of today for me... it hopped to oldest 1 hour ago and not newest even tho there was recent activity ... i tried switch between comm ranges that didnt work. When will this get fixed?

Running android 2.5.11 with Samsung S10+.

Post edited by mortuus on
  • So now instead of jumping to the bottom when I scroll comm activity, it jumps to the top.. So it's still broken.

• Eris8x6Eris8x6 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I was about to report this; glad I searched first! I would have described it thusly:

Misfeature in comm prevents facile viewing and reading of most recent activities or posts

What the Agent wants to do: 1. View most recent activity/post; 2. View a selected activity/post; 3. Continue to view either of them, plus adjacent posts, until the Agent has actually finished reading them.

Right now, I get an oldest-first list, so when I get a notification of activity or comms, I have to scroll through the entire display. If it refreshes before I'm done reading, too bad! I hit this about three times in the last couple of days, and then just gave up.

Not sure how the thing is actually engineered (and too lazy to fetch my phone from downstairs to check what version I'm running)... Best approach would probably be to have scroll position defined in terms of timestamp. If that's crazy difficult, at least turn off the refresh on the active comm pane if it's scrolled anywhere except default. I'd accept a lack of live update in return for being able to read it at all.

PS got over laziness. Running Ingress Prime 2.52.1 over Android 9 on Samsung Galaxy S8

It seems better for me today, actually. First time in forever. My workaround, for when comms is failing me, is this:

tap into activities and let it load. Tap over to alerts. It’s usually loaded correctly for me. I’ll start to scroll up (I guess technically down?), but before releasing, I’ll snap it back to the bottom of the alerts. Now tap back over to activities and it should be loaded correctly now. Works most of the time :)

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes tapping another comm tab then going back to the original "fixes" it.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

but its kinda annoying u have to do it everytime it jumps up i dont understand how this can be broken for so long..

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I agree :)

• I am still noticing this bug. (Android - Google Pixel 3a).