@NianticBrian We still don't have a metric of pending scans to be uploaded... Everything is still blind.
There is no option to skip one (1) scan (skip next scan from being uploaded)... if we get a message 'upload error', the only option is the button 'clear data' which causing us to lose all our pending scans from been uploade, because of the one that crushed and clearing data will cause us to lose all our effort, since the game won't reset our counter in order to be able to redo the scans we had to clear.
IMHO adding a new ultra effort demanding feature to something that isn't yet 100% user friendly isn't the wisest thing to do... Also the numbers are crazy...
You are forgeting that hacking, capturing, linking, etc, are parst of the game. The others badges are action of gameplay, you can get the other badges by naturally playing the game, and if you want to, reinforce your achievement by focusing on that and playing in specific ways. Scaning isn't part of the game (yet at least), is just a feature developed to gather data for future use. The only reason to do scans now is to get the badge, anything else. Scans don't change the portal network, don't provide points, cmu, score, anything. in the other hand taking extra pictures and editing tittle/description at least provide some AP and can improve the gameplay, (but that doesn't even have a status record on profile).
It was a nice idea to add some kind of competition on scanning, but is basically just to compete who scan more?
Until the scan feature proves itself being usefull and improve the portal network, becaming essential gameplay feature, scanning is just free labor aimed for badgehunters only.
To say nothing about just visiting that many portals, 15,000 scans is about 1.5 terabytes of mobile data if you don't wait for wifi to upload scans.
Put a "Scan Portal" button right on the portal info page, so I don't forget to do it in all the other excitement.
The only @NianticBrian can do are understand Niantic must remove the limit of portal scans. We cant have the new medal and more when we have limit portals scans. No limit to capture unique portals. If we play Ingress very easy to understand remove limit of portal scans before relese 2.51.1
No portal scan. We are players not you free workers.
We can do upc on bus/train and no need to stop. But your stupid scan....haha. No Scan.
I came a long way here just to click disagree for you, you're welcome.
Oh and as you keep doing unique portal objectives (unique hacks, unique captures and now unique scouts) can we at least have a marker on portals for those 3 actions ?
1. Sorting by name still doesn't work. Only works once after the game is started and you go to keys. Exit keys, or move around, or hack something, and sorting by name will not work anymore until the game is restarted.
2. Sorting by distance also doesn't work properly. It seems that the key it uses for reference needs to be at the top and off screen. (I think we need a carousel so that the game knows which portal is selected, which should fix both issues. Why did they remove the carousel just for keys?)
3. "XM reserves critical, XM drained, scanner offline, resonators recharged, XM acquired, XM reserves online, scanner online, good work" when charging.
4. When charging portals, sometimes they are not shown on the screen.
5. Magnetic arrow on devices without compass doesn't point North. Instead, the avatar is rotated when map is rotated. Need to leave avatar pointing up and the arrow should rotate with map, like it was in Redacted.
6. When viewing remote portals, sometimes get notifications that links/fields were created or destroyed or get portal attack sounds and animations even if it was hours ago and no one is currently in that area.
7. When recharging portals, sometimes when there's less than 1000 XM left to full charge, regular charge will take way less than 1000 XM, maybe about 500-600 XM, even though the portal is within a few miles and regular charges before that were taking about 1000 XM as they should.
8. When picking up items, Acquire button is not grayed out if the item is out of range like it was Redacted. It's quite annoying to press it only to find out you're out of range and then have to find the item you want to pick up again when it's next to some portals.
9. While viewing agents' stats, can't scroll if I press on mission badges. I have to press on something else in order to scroll.
10. When taking items out of or putting items into capsules (regular or quantum) it shows incorrect item count. For example, if I have 2000 items and want to take 2 items out of a capsule, it would show 2002/2000. If I want to put 2 items into a capsule, it would show 1998/2000. Once transfer is completed, it would show 2000/2000 again.
11. When pressing on a portal that's close to another portal or portals, the portal selection menu appears for a moment and then disappears. Pressing on that portal the second time shows the selection menu, and this time it stays.
1. No portal hopping like in Redacted. We could look at a portal from alerts or actions, then press on a portal nearby, and if we had a key to it, we could "hop" to it, and continue hopping as long as we had keys to nearby portals.
2. Is it possible to get rid of "It has been XX hours since your last login. I was getting worried about you"? Sounds like overly attached girlfriend. No, we don't need to change that to Jarvis voice, it will be even creepier. "It has been XX hours since you last login" by itself is OK, but I never understood the point of it.
3. Can’t see own actions in COMMs. We were able to see our actions in COMMs in Redacted.
4. According to Intel Map, neutral portals are level 0. In Prime, neutral portals are shown as level 1 when looking at keys. Is it possible to make them be shown as level 0?
1. When scrolling thru keys, they jump around and show some keys twice.
2. Need some indicator, like red circle in Redacted, to know where North is, especially considering that portal view randomly rotates either clockwise or counterclockwise.
3. Considering that sometimes it takes several seconds to load portal data when looking at keys, is it possible to NOT show portal level at all until data gets loaded? Currently it would show level 1, then whatever level it actually is after data gets loaded.
4. Can't scroll in COMMs as after a few seconds it takes you back to the bottom.
Can we have a drone badge instead? More fun..
LoL 3 years 1 month and 2 week to get the onix only if no one else is trying to do it... Plus 15k different portals.
Impossible to do it's a very warm sentence 😂😂😂
@NianticBrian i have a question. After 30 days that no one made a scan, did the scout controller and the scout point automatically set to 0 or we have to make a scan to view if 30 days is past from the last scan?
@NianticBrian I had assumed the point of portal scans was to give Niantic useful data. When the feature was first launched my husband and I went out several times to scan portals. It quickly became apparent that we had to do this as a separate activity to playing.
Usually we like to play two or three Niantic games at the same time, but even with new phones and excellent internet connection, we discovered we had to close every other application to allow portal scanning without frequent crashes.
My husband realised that he could get more scans done with higher success rate (no crashes or mysterious lost scans) if he did a five second sweep, rather than a thirty second meticulous walk around the portal. But we both agreed that this wouldn't give Niantic the data they needed.
So we ceased portal scanning, after attaining the bronze medal, as we don't want to submit useless scans, and we do want to actually play Ingress as well as other Niantic games.
We had hoped changes would eventually be made to make portal scanning easier and even enjoyable. Instead this new medal makes us feel even less inclined to restart.
If done properly (generating useful data for Niantic), portal scanning takes a long time and stops or limits gameplay of Ingress and other Niantic Games.
Scanning hundreds of unique *and* scannable portals, (less than half of portals in our area are scannable) is a tough ask. If this was the only requirement it would be difficult indeed. But we also need to keep track of which of us has scanned what portals (since we can't both get scanning controller credit for the same portal in the same month) and this is without factoring in other players.
The numbers required for the tiers are ridiculously high but at least the lower tiers would be attainable if it was only for unique portal scans. Requiring portal scanning control pits all players against all other players, making it a miserable lone wolf grind.
Living in Finland I mostly play in portal sparse areas. I have played since 2013 and visited just over 20,000 portals. My husband and I have made many trips here and abroad with one of our top objectives to get unique portal visits.
I cannot imagine why we would do the same for portal scanning. It would slow us down considerably *and* we would almost certainly not get many portal scanning controller points since locals would likely overtake the vast majority. If the medal were purely for unique portal scans it would seem worth the effort.
Please rethink this mechanic. Concentrate efforts on making portal scanning much easier and actually fun. Turning portal scanning into an activity which disincentivizes playing together with anyone else and pits teammates against each other seems counterintuitive.
TLDR: Concentrate on making portal scanning less heavy on phones, rethink tiers and especially please consider changing controller to simply counting unique portal scans (or make this an additional medal, like UPV / UPC).
The Guardian is back. lol. Guardianhunter is back. only with less response time
again you can look for opponents, and not let them stand for a month as the largest number of scans.
Or force them to spend all scans on 1 portal, so that for sure no one could interrupt.
And what happens if 2 agents scan 1 portal 200 times in one time? who will win?
Pls fix lack of new medal achievement screen on iPhone!
Give us 60 fps mode!
And please FIX mind unit map! In Moscow for example mu map is taken away to South-West.
In residential area at East Moscow we have less mu that in big Forest zone closer to center of a town. Intelligence squirrel? We make a field at Forest and get a large quantities that at residential area at West.
With over 3 years of timing I think that almost no one in the world could achieve it
Yayy! New in-game medal!!
Anyway my device doesn't have AR Core support. I have to wait till the hardware upgrade. 😪
Mush, agents! Curate that POI database for our other games! (tosses another medal at them instead of store credit for their time and data spent)
As you can see on the screenshot , I am recursated agent based on the simulacrum symbol. Actually, I'm not a recursed agent and not Level 16.
This is not so much "tosses another medal at" as "puts a medal so high up on a tall cliff that nobody can get to it" 😂
I gave it a try, and with devoting an entire afternoon to scanning I discovered that only around 50 unique portals was feasible for me (given that I still want to enjoy normal gameplay as I go). I scanned any single portal 1-5 times and uploaded ~120 scans, and had to break three times to go home and access wifi to do it.
The problems are that 1) scanning this intensely broke my normal gameplay flow, and I only got about 25% of the ap /accomplishments that I usually can. 2) I can only play that heavily a few days a month, at the required tiers scanning would have to be a full time job.
There is zero ingress game play in this feature. It's free labor for Niantic's other games.
I'll start scanning portals if scan data somehow makes it into ingress.
1h30 for 80 more 5-10sec scans to go over 100
1h+ to upload...
no badge yet ^^ (even with 2.51.1-cb032019)
it's a bit boring and gives nothing to ingress 😥
Apparently, you need to keep Scout Controller on this portals by 30 days. Only after that you will earn the badge.
No, I don't think that's right. He's gotten controller in his stats. I think they just haven't pushed the badge yet.
The idea that you will need to keep Scout Controller of a portal for 30 days is one of the myths that is quickly developing about this badge. 30 days is just the time you retain the controller title on a portal, not a requirement for the stat.
It will be really ironic if they are able to add a marker for unique controller before the ones for hack and capture...
@NianticBrian I would like to suggest a status more detailed here like a bar with % during the upload.
Don't forget Double Onyx is a thing Recursed agents strive for now as well.
@NianticBrian if someone scans a portal 2 times today and uploads it and I scan in one tomorrow and upload that, when their scans expire in 30 days will the agent with the most non-expired scans at that point become the new controller?