Dev Diary: Black Lives Matter Beacon

If you haven’t already, please read our Taking action blog post that outlines specific steps Niantic is taking to help bring sustainable, long-term change. This internal memo sparked a conversation within our team and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) about what we could do—specifically in Ingress—to allow Agents to show a visible sign of support with the Black community.

Today, we've added the Black Lives Matter Beacon to Ingress, which displays above a Target Portal for 4 hours. It’s an optional, free (0 CMU) item in the Store that Agents can choose to acquire and use; we will never charge CMU for this Beacon. The raised fist logo has been used by other movements in the past; we use it here as a symbol of solidarity and support. At launch, we set the redemption limit up to 15 Black Lives Matter Beacons per Agent, and we can revisit this going forward.

Finally, we want our community to continue to be one that welcomes everyone. Rainbow XM for LGBTQ+ Pride Month is also one way for us to share this message. That Ingress brings people together around our shared interests in exploration and discovery is very special. And it’s why we felt it was important that we add the Black Lives Matter Beacon to reiterate that we recognize the Black Lives Matter movement, and we stand in support.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, maybe we get 15 free every month?

• I don't think there is any controversy in saying that Black lives matter, too. We should also be sophisticated enough to know that attributing the undesirable actions of a small number of people to a larger class is a fairly large logic fail. If you think that black lives matter, too, then awesome! If you find that sentiment objectionable, then that's your right. Speak your truth, 👑King! This isn't a matter of politics unless you make it that way.

• ❤️ getting mine now!

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

I came here to find out what worthy charity was getting the proceeds from the sale of these beacons, then I saw that they are free.

Classy move, thanks.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

"BuT iT's A pR mOvE" Yeah so what? If the companies are actually pulling through with their promises, they at least still did something, PR move or not.

EDIT: Meant to reply to the comment you were replying to, apologies.

• jambarnjambarn ✭✭
    edited July 2020

z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

This discussion has been closed.