FaceID Task Switcher Access unreliable

vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭

For the last couple updates, accessing the task switcher from ingress on an iOS FaceID device has been inconsistent, frequently needing 2, 3, or 4 attempts to register. Other apps (by niantic and else) have not had this issue and I was holding out it would be fixed soon for ingress.

This is mildly infuriating, and I haven't seen it listed as a known issue anywhere.

Am I crazy or has anyone else been annoyed by this as well?

Tagged:

Comments

• From the 2.47 release notes:

On iOS, we now defer system gestures to a second swipe to reduce accidentally dismissing Ingress when using main menu swipe gestures, like swiping up to open the Attack carousel

Seems to be intended

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

This is correct. It sure helps for me, who accesses attack carousel by swiping up.

• agentbcapsagentbcaps ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I would often switch to a different app while waiting for cool down, I used to be able to just right on the bottom to go to another app, now I have to swipe up then left. Mildly annoying.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

I also find this quite annoying, like @agentbcaps I often switch apps while waiting for a cooldown.

I can see this does mitigate a potential issue with clumsy swiping up for the attack carousel. but that's not a universal problem - I never have this problem as I tap to get access instead. Obstructing basic OS functionality is a clumsy workround for what is fundamentally just a UI design issue. Moving the button up a bit on iOS, or using swipe down from the button instead of swipe up would be cleaner solutions.

• vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

That is a shame. I have never had any issue with accidentally triggering task switching. And given may amazing "skill" at this, absolutely nothing winds up happening. Neither task switcher nor "attack menu", so it just makes the app seem broken.

Also I will just for emphasis say that fact this is completely no obvious outside of release notes or forums, just makes them look bad.

• vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭

May I ask do you have a case that obstructs the bottom of your phone? Because I have no issues swiping up along the bottom edge vs the action button. They seem easily distinguished to me.

Perhaps they should have looked at other alternatives like changing the touch target for the attack menu gesture to be further from the bottom edge. Of course making the phone harder to use is the easier implementation I am sure.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

I use the apple one-its bottom side is open. Which in turn makes this helpful for me.

I also agree that this is sometimes frustrating, but not in normal gameplay. Those times include:

• FS passcode challenge
    • tessellation
    • switching to see intel maps

But still it's better than closing every time closing the app when you're in transit. Or simply I got adaptive to this easily because another game uses this mechanism(Clash royale). What is missing is that Apple dosen't allow users to opt in/out for this.