Throwback characters in Store

The cool thing about collecting character badges to me was that they were difficult to find and some are rarer than others. When you see someone with a Klue 15, OLW 15 or PAC15 you know they either attended the events, are an old school player, made a lot of trades etc get their hands on them.

For me I had to travel half way across the country and follow the van to win my Klue 15 at one stat contest, play my heart out and win another stat contest at the next city to win OLW. 15. I had to search thru the forest in camp Navarro in hopes of finding my klue 16 in a dead drop. I had to trade 6 characters to get my hands on PAC 15. Now Niantic decides to just give OLW 15, Hank 15 and other rare characters in the store for profit?

This totally killed collecting characters for me. There used to be swag pick ups and planning to collect all of the badges and cards, you had to network and find someone in that country to get you the code/card you wanted and in return you may pick up a code for them at your location. Swag trading was one of the things I enjoyed the most about ingress but now it's completely dead. All the chats have gone quiet nobody trades anymore, there's no physical cards anymore, now you get a silly digital kit at an increased price. There's no stories of how you acquired such a rare code, The actors aren't even the same people anymore. Why not create new badges for the store to make money, not turn the characters that many of us worked hard to get into a click of a button.

/rant

Tldr; I WoRkeD sO hArD tO gEt ThAt ChArAcTeR wHy ArE yOu GiViNg iT aWaY iN ThE StORe.

Comments

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, Founder.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

You're mad for having more fun than others?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, as a newer player, I don’t really have any interest in buying medals. To me, I’m embarrassed to have a medal that is obvious I just paid for. That being said, I would love to have old event medals re-released that I missed. Ones that you had to actually do stuff to earn. Much like the events we were doing up until covid hit. Especially now as things drag on and ingress becomes quite...stale in some ways. I’d pay to be given the opportunity to try for those medals. Like, $20 to try for the EXO5 medal or Magnus medals.

tldr; I want my medals to show I put in work, not just deep pockets

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Just look at where the badge appears on relation to the yearly badge.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

How was the Oliver Lynton-Wolfe Medal distributed originally?

I'm sure there was a card, but were they just handed out randomly at anomalies like NL1331 was?

Saw someone post that this was the first Ingress character medal, so I'd imagine this was a learning experience for Niantic

• You don't reprint a bunch of rare rookie baseball cards so everyone can have one. That's kind of what I'm trying to say but I guess most people disagree with my post.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

They dont reprint, they make 2nd edition so the originals are still as valuable as always.

• I bought the Hank Johnson medal. Not because I wanted the medal but because I wanted the gear that came with it. The badge was just a bonus in my eyes.

• I've always like collecting the character medals.

Not always being able to aquire them at the time I've missed a few, so I'm more than happy to see ingress releasing some of those through the store to generate revenue and give agents the opportunity to aquire!

• I joined late so never actually got a chance to "meet" someone

But I do applaud Nia for re-releasing medals instead of letting the new players who want the medals get scalped for hundreds on ebay

• Uh actually they DO reprint (all the time) rare baseball cards

For exact same reason that Nia is doing so; to prevent price gouging on secondary markets

Collectors and fans are not the same beasts