[Feature Request] Highlight non-visited portals

AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General

PokemonGo players do have the feature marking pokestops the player never visited with a white circle.

We require similar thing in Ingress:

• Mark portals never hacked
  • Mark portals never captured

Tagged:

Comments

• yes, agreed

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Similar things have been suggested about a million times.

I'm guessing that it would be an expensive thing to implement in terms of computing resources. Very likely right now Ingress only checks whether you have a unique visit and/or hack when you take an action on the portal, and it doesn't have to happen in realtime. In order to render the circles that you requested Ingress would have to check the unique status of everything on your screen all the time, and that could be a lot... right now I see around a hundred and my area is only moderately dense.

Remember that for some people the set of uniques is pretty large. I'm approaching 40K. It would be nice to go to a new area and see what's new since my last visit, but I probably would be just as happy if not happier to have the info on the intel map.

Post edited by Hosette on
  • It does it for Pogo, why wouldn't it work for Ingress.

You just need to download the list once, have the scanner check that list whenever it needs to display a portal and update it only if a new one gets hacked/captured.

It's not rocket science.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Suggested million times? Yes.

Hard to implement? No.

Especially if they add this as a part of subscription for example.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WikiBlueWikiBlue ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

yes, it is a feature we need 😉 It would be a big qol update. I guess that the only reason why we don't have it yet (while they already know how to program it) is because it's double 'hack and capture'.

And now drone hack as well :)

• silverkalisilverkali ✭✭✭

This is a feature I've wanted ever since I started playing and as pointed out above it is something that is possible as it is an implemented feature in Pokemon Go.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so. That can be done is many ways, like ignoring one of those.

It can be an ornament like the event ones (target, ifs start, etc) but smaller, with two layers like a circle to capture and square to hack.

• Keep in mind that PoGo and Ingress don't share the same backend. Ingress is still running on slightly updated legacy servers. This would be an *awesome* feature, but we can't guarantee it's an easy change just because PoGo has it.

• PhantomR1982PhantomR1982 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

wouldnt a different coloured portal flame work ?? just to indicate that it was unvisited then it defaults to white after a visit or hack that surely cant be as resource intensive as these rings as theres annoying green flames that pop up in my areas where they should remain blue (waits for the disagrees for that comment :D) but when either colour goes down it switches to white as per the design and when frackers are used from what I have seen they emit a nice red flame drspite the colour of the faction controlled user...so as long as the colour grabs your attention like the fracker portal did for me you know its time to hunt...I like the rings in pogo and i didnt understand them at first but now i like them.

while on this point having a "navigate to" feature would be nice so the scanner can guide you to one of these unvisited portals to add to your key collection/stats in much the same way as a mission is configured...it shows you six portals you havent visited and there names or just co-ordinates that changes to the portal name the closer you get...I also saw something about hiding the next portal in a sequence when viewing mission but few creators use this but this would add to the mystery.

• I agree!

Niantic makes it on Pokemon Go game.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is you would need two types of ornaments and you would have to make a call to the server for every portal displayed on the map for a given number of cells visible around the agent.

It might be better to have an ornament simply for visits in the map and a seperate tick for captures in the port view. Just a compass under each portal that disappears when it is hacked or captured Would be fine. Then put a flag (pioneer) icon next to the portal name in portal or key view when it's been captured.

Eventually they should switch to the new software. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), they explained Redacted retirement that way.

Redacted was a showstopper for the backend updates so obliviously people expect something more than just visual changes now.

edited June 2020

You still make a call for each portal to get its faction, resonators installed and stuff. It's juts two new fields in the output and a couple of joins either in the DB query or micro-service calls under the hood.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Two spiral lines to complement portal design (I've been that in old art), and when one action is done (hack or capture) one spiral go away.

It can be ambiguous, so if you see just one you will have to rely on memory to know if is hack or capture, but you're gonna go there again anyway so won't matter much. It's gonna probably gonna be lacking capture.

Or just a random ornament (like ⚠️) to alert the player that there's still new actions lacking the portal, just one, that will only disappear when both actions are done (complemented with clearer information on portal view as you said). The same ornament can appear during drone view, obviously being about drone hacks.

Yep, I think if we have just capture indicator it would be quite enough. Usually people do hack what they capture

• NaruwasherNaruwasher ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Any plans of implementing something like this down the line? Would be easier to track portals for Explorer but something can also be added to keep tabs on which portals were captured towards the Pioneer.

• PhantomR1982PhantomR1982 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

That doesnt Sound Right ??? a hack counts as a hack and a portal faction claim (capture) is classed as just that a claim for your side eg...blue or green.

also a visit to a portal is classed as a unique portal visit eg...one you havent been to or claimed before.

the stats are confusing the way they are worded,now this threw me at first seeing as I had visited loads of portals locally and I started going further yet my stats wasnt in sync and still arent because I havent been back to those unique portals yet due to app issues but I always intended to keep my stats the same.

at the time I was having difficulty obtaining portal keys for those portals and I burnt them out trying and drained my battery in waiting time for cooldown

so although I could attack them I couldnt claim them (key) for later viewing and my stats got messed up.

Oh The Fun Of Ingress Prime Bugs !!! :D

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a feature request, for the 7 years.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian thank you for finally bringing this feature to at least the Intel map.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing this much-requested feature to life.

Any chance you can add a toggle to invert it and show portals not captured or visited?

(Ah, I see already being worked on. Much appreciated.)