Forced Drone Recall

My drone has been Forced back to me twice now. Both times the portal it was forced from has not changed. (The first one was neutral, the last one is still capped by me).

Is there another factor that triggers Forced Drone Recall?

Comments

• SaandcrawlerSaandcrawler ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Speaking of drones, this garbage about some portals being reachable then not reachable?

I just recorded three tests. If you recharge a portal, it is reachable by drone even if it is almost twice as far as closer portals that are not visible.

• Same thing just happened to me. Portals are still there, but my drone got returned. Very frustrating since it was the other side of town so it will take multiple moves to get it back out there.

• I just reported a documented case to Niantic. Let's hope they can track down the cause and solve it.

I left my drone on my holiday location, so it's a bit sour if it's already force recalled for the wrong reason.

• This feature is documented. Drone range is about 600 m (something with cells, also documented) EXCEPT if you have the portal key of the target portal. If you visualise a portal within a range of (we think) 1 km of your drone location, using the portal key, your drone can reach it. Not necessary to recharge. Just loading the remote portal view should be sufficient. You might need a few attempts.

I think this is an awesome feature, because this means you can go and liberate your drone when it's stuck. When your drone is at a barrier (no portals within the 600 m range) obtain a key from a "nearby distant" portal, and your drone can jump the gap and continue it's journey.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yes it should only return if a portal changes faction or gets taken down flipped or whatever...

• Hello guys, I have to apologize. I just found an intel map of this morning that was still open. I quickly took a screenshot. The portal where my drone was, expired while my drone was there. 1 chance in 480. It's completely my own fault. No bug.

I will cancel my ticket.

Situation this morning:

Situation now:

This leaves a big dent in my self confidence. I thought I was more prudent.

At least the drone traveled 12 km on UK territory. And at least I didn't crash my car, it's only this virtual drone. And I learnt this valuable lesson : check the portal before you go there.

• Thanks for the support, but I found out in this case it was justified. The portal decayed while my drone was on it.

Bye bye the "It won't happen to me".

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of feel like I shouldn't have to drive out past my drone to get a portal key just so my drone can move further.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Then do the regular distance jump... It’s kinda like hacking VS glyph hacking. You can do a hack and get a few items or do extra work and get many items.