Is there still an audience out there for Ingress Decoding?

2»

Comments

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to prevent leaks in my opinion is by making passcodes single use.

About the scoreboard, same again, first one to post is the first one who solved it. But this is not a fair system either because of our turning planet xD

The only way I can think of is by making the puzzle hackeable, then that would make it unique for the player to solve at any time. But then again, top scores would be top unoccupied decoders xD

I'd say current Jojo system is ok, but this is a team game, how about a faction scoreboard and daily feed? Like the OPR scoreboard :)

• num504569num504569 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Questions for medals should be difficult.

Comparing the case where one person solves and distributes to nine people and the case where it solves in a group of 10 people, the latter should be faster.

But, I solved jojowotd almost by myself, so it is certain that there are difficulties...

• KecMagikKecMagik ✭✭✭

I've never done decoding before but would love to learn. I enjoy escape rooms so maybe this is something I can get into

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

I've done one escape room and one Intel ops that was organized by an escape room company. Decoding was great preparation for these. The puzzle styles, pattern recognition, thinking outside the box, communicating effectively, needing to be quick on your feet, were all shared aspects.

To get started, check out these resources:

“Top Secret”: A handbook of codes, ciphers, and secret writing - Paul B. Janeczko

“The Book of Codes”: Understanding the World of Hidden Messages: an illustrated guide to signs, symbols, ciphers, and secret languages - Paul Lunde

“The Code Book" - Simon Singh

https://ingress.codes

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

@nightGrub There is a new challenge starting tomorrow. Have you seen the ad for it? Could be fun! And you have a shot at getting your name on a leader board.

https://twitter.com/ingress/status/1202305409933041665?s=19

• How does everyone communicate With each other? On A different forum? ❤️ A newbie

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Depends on your faction, region, experience level, etc. If you need help getting started, I may be able to connect you to a mentor. Private message somewhere... maybe Telegram chat app, same username @jplolo

• I would greatly enjoy being more involved in a codebreaking group. I'm currently involved with a couple of groups that seem to deal more with the lore and a little bit of code work. But I would like to delve a little more into the decoding aspect. For as much as I think some of this is beneficial for the factions to work together on, I would understand if it has to be done in a faction setting so that less sis withheld. But in terms of this thread it seems like that's neither here it there. I would greatly like to be involved with a codebreaking community if this thread is looking for interest.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

Hi @WedgeRivka . Glad to see you're interested in the in depth decoding aspects of Ingress. Refer to the reply I'd sent just above if you'd like some assistance getting in touch with a decoding chat or a learning group.

• WedgeRivkaWedgeRivka ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I will do that when I get a spare moment, thank you. Apologies, I rather lost track of which offers were on the table in the context of this thread and how they were accessible (if indeed there was more than one)

• @num504569 is decoding hard that much ?, many websites etc. Or its easily calculated and redeemed .... am sorry if am talking with minimal understanding to the full process .. I know it's kinda fun but it's not that much for my local community ... a little help from you will be great .. how to start .. thanks a lot

• num504569num504569 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I can explain how to decode some problems, but I don't want it to be for Resistance.

... and I think that's why decoding isn't popular. ;-)

There are many ways to decode, so I think it ’s good to go to the faction ’s decoding community and learn. (If it exists)

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

@freekenstine if you struggle to find a decoding community within your faction, feel free to reach out to me on telegram app for follow up. Depending on your region, I may be able to locate a group who can help, res or enl.

If you're enlightened though, I'd take @num504569 up on his offer. It's always good having an experienced contact.

• Thank you bro , it's appreciated act

• I'm not interested in decoding ingress.

Unless I also get the option to decode ingress to classic ingress, and be done with this ugly washed out nonsense that is prime.

Prime should never have been the future of ingress.

• I forgot to say one important thing.

I belong to the Japanese ENL decoding team, and I do not know the other regions.

For me, communication in English is more difficult than decoding. X(

• January 2020

I beleive there should be a tutorial for the decoding chalenge so many new players can get involved. Just like a game within a game, with multi redeemable passcodes , a cypher badge and points.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

Hm. Interesting idea. Do you mean learning opportunities within the challenge itself? Or, just a tutorial in general?

Agents put together, and maintained for years, a great resource for ingress decoding knowledge if you're looking to study. Check out https://decodeingress.me/

• Hey J.

You may wanna check with Theta! As TS_Morpheus did DECODING as a part of an advertising story...

they wanted to go for 2 weeks of mystery.

Their minds were changed and we got to camp. Telling a story.

Where it was "very green..."

Maybe world wide drops with the current tess media and or character media.

• The archetype decoding challenges have been so much fun so far. Thank you to all the puzzle creators and event organizers. I see a lot of new decoders popping up, enjoying themselves, and learning a lot (including me).

I'm with you here, I'd love to see decoding as more of a part of regular play in Ingress.